Waste, waste and more waste

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/16/2003 11:05:10 AM Steiner wrote:

American Airlines used to have profit sharing, at least for TWU members. When was the program cancelled, and why?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Um, because AA isn't turning a profit? Just a guess, though.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/16/2003 11:53:10 AM WingNaPrayer wrote:

Sprint's Ersey doesn't have 35,000+ managers under him either! I'll bet you could quiz Ersey on every aspect of his company's operation and he'd know the answer. Try asking Carty....he'd have to refer it to a chain of a dozen people or more before you got an answer, because he just doesn't have a clue.

At this juncture, Sprints Esrey barely has 35,000+ employees under him. But they have more than their fair share of managment layers. Trust me on this one. And Esrey is pretty much clueless as to his companies operation. That is handled by his underlings. You haven't shown me that Carty isn't underpaid in comparison. But I digress - you guys used to have a CEO who could tell you everything from when will Pacific service expand to why did the cubicle size shrink. Labor hated the guy's guts, but he led AA thru the biggest growth period the company has ever seen. Guess who I'm talking about.

Face it, all the top executives of AA know how to do is pad their pockets. You're rocking the wrong boat. If you think Carty is doing his job (and I make that statement lightly) for a pittance of a salary only compared to his counterparts at other corporations, then the man must be a bigger ******* idiot than I thought!

Why not compare all airline CEO's to other industries. They're all vastly underpaid in comparison, but then again, you most likely feel that THEY are bigger ******* idiots than you thought.

Read between the lines KC - compare the CEO's by the perks (that they grant to themselves) and you'll see that Ersey is the one getting screwed! I'll bet you my phone card against yours that Ersey doesn't have a 77 million dollar warchest for a pension fund for him and his family to fall back on so none of them will ever have to work a day in their lives!

Esrey doesn't need a pension. He made more than enough to live on when he added the little blurb about immediately vesting all top execs with stock options as soon as the shareholder vote approved a merger with World Com. Talk of that merger drove the price of the stock upwards of $70 a share....shareholders approved the merger...Esrey and company made several hundred million dollars - cash on the barrelhead - why wait when you can get it today, (Esrey made several hundred million himself) - then the SEC said no to the merger, the stock tanked, but the execs were sitting pretty. Again, trust me, Esrey isn't screwed - and 77 million is pocket change to him. Did I mention that on top of his million and a half salary, he gets $50,000 auto expense, $50,000 "investment advice", and $50,000 for "miscellaneous". You think Carty is greedy...Carty is Mother Theresa compared to Esrey.

----------------
[/blockquote]

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/16/2003 10:48:33 PM Hopeful wrote:

My God, KCFLYER? How long have you been on Carty's PR team?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Hopeful, your biggest problem is that you are wearing the good old "airline industry blinders" and you can't or won't see the outside world at all. "Our CEO is overpaid". Maybe so, but if you look at any other industry you'll find that in comparison, airline CEO's are among the lowest paid executives. Your airline is burning thru money at an alarming rate, and you can only point to his medical coverage as a symbol his greed and the unfairness of the situation. Here's a news break - if AA totally dropped Carty's medical coverage, it might pay for one planeload of pretzel snacks. If AA dropped his salary to zero, it might buy fuel for a dozen or so flights for one day. Heck, if he cashed in $20 million in stock and gave it back to the company, it wouldn't stem your losses for more than a couple of days. But if anyone points that out, they are "drinking the kool-aid" or "on Carty's PR team". It's rather sad actually. There was a post on the UAL board that the AA board has become eeriely similar to the UAL board three months ago. He was right. So at that rate, by April AA will be in bankruptcy court. I never used to think that. But I think April is about the right time frame. Good luck, hopeful...you're problems are far more serious than executive pay.

I rest my case, PR man! By,te way, you being from KC and all, good luck to you and the local economy when Carty shuts down the MCI overhaul base!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/17/2003 6:41:24 AM Hopeful wrote:

I rest my case, PR man! By,te way, you being from KC and all, good luck to you and the local economy when Carty shuts down the MCI overhaul base!
----------------
[/blockquote]

Couldn't hurt it any worse than the layoffs at Sprint. Did I mention that their CEO makes a million and a half in salary alone (and got a 'token' raise of $75,000) while cutting staff? Enjoy the blinders.

But before I go - who would you suggest to replace Carty, that you would respect, who could bring AA back from the brink (using "friendlier" tactics) and who could justify a typical executive salary and benefits? I won't hold my breath waiting for a response - I don't think you'd know of any.

I'd bring back Crandall. We would be in a somewhat better position now since BoB C. WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT TWA! And I would have no problem giving him 3 million a year in salary because he would not have increased management's ranks threefold in the first place! I'm not interested in "friendlier tactics." We have more problems now as a company because Crandall's policies have gone out the window!

KC, it's amazing how you only reply to "select" aspects of my posting! Crandall kept the management's ranks "lean," you know ALA Southwest and Jetblue. As we speak AA is still hiring maintenance supervisors who are tripping over themselves. Crandall frowned on that! You talk about Crandall. In 1983 Crandall and the TWU changed to game in the airline industry. Mechanics' work was given to the unskilled faction of the union, B scale brought in, paying for medical. But guess what? These are the changes that UNITED and USAir now seek in the bankruptcy courts![BR][BR]My, My, KC, you are right again. HOW TIMES CHANGE!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/17/2003 7:54:37 AM Hopeful wrote:

I'd bring back Crandall. We would be in a somewhat better position now since BoB C. WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT TWA! And I would have no problem giving him 3 million a year in salary because he would not have increased management's ranks threefold in the first place! I'm not interested in "friendlier tactics." We have more problems now as a company because Crandall's policies have gone out the window!
----------------
[/blockquote]

Come come, Hopeful....don't sip the kool-aid. I remember when Crandall was considered by many to be the anti-Christ when he uttered the words "B-Scale". Now he'd be the saviour. Back then he was just an overpaid, greedy CEO who was looking to make labor suffer. My, how times have changed.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 1/17/2003 9:50:35 AM NewHampshire Black Bears wrote:

KCF,
Your right, he was a Son Of A B*T*H !!!!!!!!!!
BUT,
He was "OUR" SOB.
I think the ONLY thing he hated MORE than AA's unions, was the COMPETITION.
"I rest my case"

Regards,

NH/BB's
----------------
[/blockquote]

And currently Carty is your SOB. Better to be with him than agin him.

I find the hero-worship of Bob to be amusing at times. I have the utmost respect for him, but he's been gone for half a decade now. Continuing to second guess what Carty does vs. what you think Crandall would have done is a waste of time.

Far better to deal with confronting the present and ensure that there is going to be a future, rather than to continue living in the past...

[P]
[BLOCKQUOTE][BR]----------------[BR]On 1/17/2003 11:10:54 AM FA Mikey wrote:
[P]Don Carty is currently our CEO not our SOB. His job is to steer us clear of disaster. [/P]----------------[/BLOCKQUOTE]
[P][/P]Too bad the old fart can't see two feet in front of him due to those huge piles of cash he gets to accumulate off YOUR backs![BR][BR]His job is no such thing. He's a figure head, a speech giver - he has no clue about the day to day stuff he just gives speeches about it that are written for him, slap a little pancake number 13 on him, hand him a speech, stick him in front of a microphone and wind him up....he's good to go!