Westward expansion?

joe loenard was in our recurrent class the other day. Talked to the class for about an hour. Basically more east -west flying in the future. Getting 20 717s next year. some will be TWAs. 1 or 2 more cities this year and maybe 3 to 5 next year. Doesn't for see a new aircraft type until 2005. Unless something drastic happens in the industry. Plans on putting aux tanks on the 717. I think he said TWAs have aux tanks already. Also more charters. He said they are good money makers. Other than that nothing really new, and nothing else that I can remember.[:)]

CAK received a federal grant to start new low fare service from CAK. The local rag speculated that it would be BOS or BWI. BOS would be preferred as there is already big lift between CLE-BWI on both CO and WN. Both US and NW match the CLE-BWI fares from CAK (with a connection added in), so it might be a battle to start a CAK-BWI nonstop route...

The reason that Air Tran does well when other airlines are failing is because they DON'T offer a substantial inflight service. They offer LIGHT (albeit very light) snacks on their flights and a beverage. If you want anything more than that then you simply bring it yourself. As for Business Class, you are paying for a bigger seat in a quieter cabin with the ability to board and deplane first. The upgrade fee is nominal and can be done off of any fare at the airport. I wouldn't look to them to increase their inflight snack service, and if I was a stockholder I would hope there would be no plans to do this. Unlike the big 5 (AA,UA,DL,CO,NW) they don't offer full service amenities, nor do they offer full service prices. That is their key to success. If you don't like Biscoff or peanuts bring a box of donuts or a bag of pretzels. And share with your neighbors, they probably don't want anymore Biscoff or peanuts either. How can you complain about getting exactly what you pay for and what is advertised? I would think in this business that should be celebrated!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 8/22/2002 9:40:37 AM lowfareair wrote:

My idea of a more filling snack would be something such as Entenmann's products up front(IIRC, the nutrigrain twists bar in morning biz class is Entenmann's), and either Nutrigrain bars and/or Little Debbie snacks in back.

One more thing that would be nice, and fairly cheap to do, is offer a second drink service before landing on routes over 800-1000 miles. Even something similar to DL's FastBreak service could really improve AAI's reputation.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Actually AirTran serves pretzels in coach, and no peanuts. Biscoff's are still served in the morning, and Business Class gets Nutri Grains in the morning, and Butter snaps in the afternoon (Square Pretzels). I hope they do not add more to their service, otherwise our ticket prices go up. And at least FL offers full beverage services, and not fastbreak service.

Another thing, popular to contrary belief, majors do not offer much more inside the U.S. I flew to Green Bay on Northwest GPT-MEM-DTW-GRB-MSP-MEM-GPT and on every flight it was either pretzels or biscoffs, and a cup of something to drink, rarely do they offer full cans, I usually have to ask. On AirTran, I have been offered a Nutri Grain bar when the load was light, I have been given handfulls of Biscoffs, and a full can of something to drink (Full can on every flight). I actually think AirTran's product is better because you save hundreds of dollars, and get more. Be Smart, Fly Smart http://www.airtran.com
1.gif']