What a Mess we are at Usairways

Henderfuzz

Senior
Mar 29, 2006
This is just an opinion piece but feel free to add anything.
Here we are almost 3 years into what was suppose to be a new airline.
Now what do we see? We see several airllines looking to merge and gain strength that will IMHO put a very big strain on us when they are together. We continue to see our pilots fight over a new deal, the company refusing to negociate fairly with its unions. and the unions not being real about what it is they should have. When this all came together I for one had hope that maybe just maybe it was going to work and we could actually have a great airline once again. My hopes have been dashed though with very poor managment who is more intrested in the bottom line than an airline that is operationally the best in the industry. The people running this place contuinue to think small and Doug continues to hope he can sell us to some airline that will see us as a real asset and than he can cash out. Well Doug maybe you should have focused your attention more on us USAirways than how can I find a good deal on an airline.
As for our pilots I do understand your frustration in getting together but it seems to me you would have been better off if you had put aside your differences and without the interference of an arbirtrator to make a strong unified group.
As for the IAM we have hopes of a better deal but unfortunally many feel we need to have the very best deal in the industry right now right away. I for one feel thats foolish thinking. I do want a great contract but not one that puts us in danger of being where we were just a few short years ago,
The company on the other hand needs to step up to the plate and quit being so damn cost netural
and give us a contract we can all live with. As employees we all deserve better than we have now.
We have earned it.
Unfortuanlly I do feel all of this may no longer be possible, the time for this company to stand out front and be better has go by I do feel that by years end we will be gone in one way or another either sold off in piecies or out of bussiness.
Theres plenty of blame to go around for this
This again is MHO and you may feel free to express yours.

This is just an opinion piece but feel free to add anything.
Here we are almost 3 years into what was suppose to be a new airline.
Now what do we see? We see several airllines looking to merge and gain strength that will IMHO put a very big strain on us when they are together. We continue to see our pilots fight over a new deal, the company refusing to negociate fairly with its unions. and the unions not being real about what it is they should have. When this all came together I for one had hope that maybe just maybe it was going to work and we could actually have a great airline once again. My hopes have been dashed though with very poor managment who is more intrested in the bottom line than an airline that is operationally the best in the industry. The people running this place contuinue to think small and Doug continues to hope he can sell us to some airline that will see us as a real asset and than he can cash out. Well Doug maybe you should have focused your attention more on us USAirways than how can I find a good deal on an airline.
As for our pilots I do understand your frustration in getting together but it seems to me you would have been better off if you had put aside your differences and without the interference of an arbirtrator to make a strong unified group.
As for the IAM we have hopes of a better deal but unfortunally many feel we need to have the very best deal in the industry right now right away. I for one feel thats foolish thinking. I do want a great contract but not one that puts us in danger of being where we were just a few short years ago,
The company on the other hand needs to step up to the plate and quit being so damn cost netural
and give us a contract we can all live with. As employees we all deserve better than we have now.
We have earned it.
Unfortuanlly I do feel all of this may no longer be possible, the time for this company to stand out front and be better has go by I do feel that by years end we will be gone in one way or another either sold off in piecies or out of bussiness.
Theres plenty of blame to go around for this
This again is MHO and you may feel free to express yours.
US AIRWAYS has the second best balance sheet in the industry. Neither the pilots, stews, mechanics, or baggage handlers are greedy. They are the ones who saved this airline and management should have been thankful.
Screw transition until management treats the masses with dignity and respect. Screw transition, screw cost neutral, screw the investors, screw everything, screw merger, screw the spring, screw the summer, screw the night, screw the day, just screw it all. None of the work groups sought to save the airline by giving up everything just so management could screw the masses more after making 1/2 billion in each of the last 2 years.

regards,
Tim Nelson
IAM Local Chairman, 1487, Chicago

You can only blame America West and the morons that run it. East still makes money the west loses.

US AIRWAYS has the second best balance sheet in the industry. Neither the pilots, stews, mechanics, or baggage handlers are greedy. They are the ones who saved this airline and management should have been thankful.
Screw transition until management treats the masses with dignity and respect. Screw transition, screw cost neutral, screw the investors, screw everything, screw merger, screw the spring, screw the summer, screw the night, screw the day, just screw it all. None of the work groups sought to save the airline by giving up everything just so management could screw the masses more after making 1/2 billion in each of the last 2 years.

regards,
Tim Nelson
IAM Local Chairman, 1487, Chicago

You know Tim you can think what you will and it wont change my mind.
I know one thing for sure everyday Im losing more and more money becasue people like you and the others believe there is something so much better out there. Maybe there is maybe there isnt.
The longer we drag this out though the more money I lose as well as our west brothers.
Now that we played our trump card which I do blame the IAM leadership for by the way,
we are not going to see anything better becasue of the sorry managment and they way they see us as employees. We had our chance of gaining some not all but some. It has now come and gone.
Yes our balance sheet is good but with oil and many other factors it wont be for long.
We had our chance to be locked into a deal that at least gave us some breathing room.
Now we have nothing and we will get nothing. I sure hope your ready to walk in a few years when that time comes, becasue we all know thats what it will come down to, thats if we make it that far.

You can only blame America West and the morons that run it. East still makes money the west loses.
I agree we have morons running this place. Please stop thinking your ONLY East=Money mentality makes any sense! That is so old. IF these morons thought it was all about making money, they would of traded there mansions in the sandcastle, for the hills of PA. Please. Money is generated on a whole throughout East and West, North and South, ANC to San Juan, Hawaii to LGW!! :rolleyes:

Spoken like a typical liberal, democrat-voting, union member! You really need to rethink your position and look at what YOU union truly stands for...GREED! Is your Obama08 bumper sticker firmly attached to your car? My guess is it is.

Funny then how come when operations were seperate East made all the profit and West lost money?

I have to agree that the company is a total mess-and through no fault of the employees.

This company has a long history of mismanagement, but nothing as bad as it has been since a small regional airline management took over on September 27, 2005. They have been shortsighted, ill advised, and basically chose to ignore their own employees, and more so their customers, who provide the revenue they need to keep the doors open.

They have insulted their employees by refusing to bargain in good faith. It seems at times they have ENCOURAGED the dissent which now exists, particularly in the pilot's union, which may do irreparable harm to this company. It is interesting to note that another merger scenario currently playing out supposedly has the union issues worked out BEFORE the merger is announced rather than leaving it open for a repeat of what we're seeing here at US Airways. Employees should be the number one priority of management in ANY company, let alone an airline.

Then we have the customers. It appears this management team only wants the "Kettle" crowd--once a year itinerant travelers--who don't know what to expect, then don't realize they are getting bad customer service because they have no expectations. Their disdain and disregard for the higher yielding business traveler is apparent, and illustrated by the contemptuous actions taken last week. I find it amusing yet sad that UA came right out and said not only would they continue the 500 minimum for Mileage Plus customers, but they'd also continue to give the 500 mile minimum accrual on codeshare flights on US metal---now is that a slap or what???

I won't even get into a reservations system which appears to be a work in progress A YEAR after being rolled out...I guess we're all the beta testers aren't we?

Based on what we're hearing from our membership (and they are only a small segment of the general customer base but if you extrapolate the numbers, WOW), the final line has been crossed. The previous bailouts by formerly loyal customers pale in comparison to what is going on now. I would expect CO, UA, AA and DL will be sending thank you cards to Tempe.

What will it take for the the BOD to wake up and right this ship of fools?

My BEST to you all......

A reminder to WCT and everyone else--DO NOT MAKE IT PERSONAL.

Leave the personal comments and snide remarks out.

US raised the money for the merger and had cash in the bank too and had funding from several sources before the merger came into being.

This east vs. west stuff needs to stop. The company didn't ask the employees whether they should merger or not. The problem is with the idiots in Tempe. They make procedures up and obviously don't do any research before hand (hence the re-doing of EVERYTHING that they mess up the first time around). Look at the A330... if you are over 5'5" and in one of the last 10-15 rows, you will have sore knees for a day or two after a transatlantic flight. How about the new 767 envoy seats... if you recline fully, the person behind you can't get out. Delta has (economy class) personal screens popping up on every transCON flight and we can't even get them on the 757/ 767 to Europe. And then there is the insane reserve system on the East (not sure about the west). 15+ years on reserve? Come on, give me a break. Another airline could swallow us, staple us to the bottom and we'd still get a block quicker! :down: :down: :down:

Hmmm--what a mess we are---not sure how to take this----business is a science not just a Ouija board game---with employees from many different airlines all of whom are able to accomplish tasks any number of different ways---management should take all the heat/mess from customers not the employees--this is their mess or just they way they like to see the airline run--stinks eh---we either leave or try to make it run better than the naybobs thought it could run.

Latest posts