What are your feelings about the economic crisis

freedom

Veteran
Feb 15, 2006
So , our nation hasn't faced a crisis like this to our economy since the great depression ... Every night the economy is in the media , and you can't pick up a paper without reading the headlines blazing across the front page .... This is affecting everyone in different ways , how are you being affected by it all ?

I personally alternate between amazement , fear , fortitude and this nagging feeling of insanity … the insanity feeling is because I saw this coming further down the road than most , I’ve got a firm grasp of what’s going on, and what’s likely to happen , but you see , what’s likely to happen is so horrific and life changing for us all , that I just can’t wrap my mind around it the way I should be able to …. Hence there’s a real part of me that hopes I’m Looney .. i guess i'm just trying to stick my head in the sand , but yet i can't seem to do so , and now i'm stressing ...

So , our nation hasn't faced a crisis like this to our economy since the great depression ... Every night the economy is in the media , and you can't pick up a paper without reading the headlines blazing across the front page .... This is affecting everyone in different ways , how are you being affected by it all ?

As I have mentioned before, my line of work is recession-proof, perhaps even recession-happy. My industry/group flourishes during times of uncertainty and crisis. While I do not necessarily hope for the bad times, I certainly gain during such times. So my feelings about this crisis are likely the converse of most. Ask me again when the prosperous times are back again.

As I have mentioned before, my line of work is recession-proof, perhaps even recession-happy. My industry/group flourishes during times of uncertainty and crisis. While I do not necessarily hope for the bad times, I certainly gain during such times. So my feelings about this crisis are likely the converse of most. Ask me again when the prosperous times are back again.

What industry is that by chance? Im feeling a bit...anxious.

Every time I get stressed about this I remind myself of my grandfather. He spent the depression being happy if he had enough to eat and moving around the country looking for work. Finally things got a bit better, settles down and marries. Then WWII hits and he gets drafted and faces the very real prospect of not coming home. So I guess things could be worse.

I'm going to head to Bank of America tomorrow and withdraw all of our money in cash. We've got a safe at home, plenty of guns, and the Lord on our side. God willing, we'll make it through this! It's important that we get our money out of the banks as quickly as possible, before the government becomes insolvent.

Every time I get stressed about this I remind myself of my grandfather. He spent the depression being happy if he had enough to eat and moving around the country looking for work. Finally things got a bit better, settles down and marries. Then WWII hits and he gets drafted and faces the very real prospect of not coming home. So I guess things could be worse.

Remember its WWII that pulled the USA out of the depression. If it wasn't for that it would have lasted much longer.

I'm going to head to Bank of America tomorrow and withdraw all of our money in cash. We've got a safe at home, plenty of guns, and the Lord on our side. God willing, we'll make it through this! It's important that we get our money out of the banks as quickly as possible, before the government becomes insolvent.

Do you mean when a loaf of bread costs $250 and a gallon of milk $225

Better bet would be to pray for a good outcome because hiding in the basement with
a bundle of cash is living in fear and not really realistic considering the realities of that
scenario--- nightmarish where mad max characters thrive and the weak are exploited and
killed when not useful. Life becomes as cheap as the dollar.

Like the guys who I used to work at the airline who were survivalists wanting to know if I would chip in with them to buy gas masks because they would get a bigger discount---my reply was exactly how I feel today---I will breathe deep if I need a gas mask.

Better bet would be to pray for a good outcome because hiding in the basement with
a bundle of cash is living in fear and not really realistic considering the realities of that
scenario--- nightmarish where mad max characters thrive and the weak are exploited and

Like the guys who I used to work at the airline who were survivalists wanting to know if I would chip in with them to buy gas masks because they would get a bigger discount---my reply was exactly how I feel today---I will breathe deep if I need a gas mask.
I can not believe that I actually agree with you. :shock:

700 is correct ,hiding in the basment of your house will not protect you or your family , and neither will taking all of your money out of the bank ... in fact it wiill only hasen the outcome that you fear ... if you want to live to fight another day , do a food shoping but stock up more than you normally would , get a gun , but leave your money in the bank ....

Tonight president bush frightned the nation .... sometimes i wonder if he wants to destory us all ... he should have waited until friday after the close of the markets to give that speech , or sat night ... i fear he may have increased the panic out there rather than calmed it , and what we MUST do is calm it ...

my fellow american's you need to understand that even if the economy does collapse our way of life will not ...we've endureded WW2 and we've SURIVED the nuclear holocost that everyone predicted would happen with the COLD WAR ... we shall previal against this new crisis ...do not abandon hope ..

Tonight president bush frightned the nation .... sometimes i wonder if he wants to destory us all ... he should have waited until friday after the close of the markets to give that speech , or sat night ... i fear he may have increased the panic out there rather than calmed it , and what we MUST do is calm it ...

Freedom... think about it man. If you want a $7b bailout package to be instituted and the only persuasive technique to get such a measure instituted is fear and panic, what better way is there to do it than to give prime-time televised remarks about "our entire economy is in danger" and "without immediate action by Congress, America can slip into a major panic." Doing that once the market is closed for the weekend just wouldn't bring the necessary panic desired results.

One of my neighbors is a funeral director. He always says that his industry/group is recession-proof. Seems to be doing well. He drives a black Cadillac.

desperationns1.jpg

Freedom-
Ms./Mrs. Gilding the "Gyno"- is a Bartender. It take alot of eduction to pour a "drink" for one of her patrons, and impart of her wisdom of life's challenges, job loss's, to the down trodden
"educated" subject to the wim's of Wall Street & the political machine- Ms./Mrs. "Gyno" is also a professional on these message boards the "Cut & Paste". Additionally, Ms/Mrs. "Gyno" is on the wrong "Forum" site. THIS SITE IS AVIATION, NOT..., A BARTENDER FORUM. Hmmm, keep those tips coming "Gyno", your going to need them to for your retirement fund. :mf_boff:

Freedom... think about it man. If you want a $7b bailout package to be instituted and the only persuasive technique to get such a measure instituted is fear and panic, what better way is there to do it than to give prime-time televised remarks about "our entire economy is in danger" and "without immediate action by Congress, America can slip into a major panic." Doing that once the market is closed for the weekend just wouldn't bring the necessary panic desired results.

Yes, of course it's a "crisis management" technique, though one wonders what sort of effectiveness such an appeal would have given it's coming from a very unpopular figure.

I'd say a little "creative destruction" is in order for the banking "industry". "Retrain"..."adapt". I mean, the economic elite must believe it since that was the advice they blithely offered to the working class schlubs who lost their jobs and are now unemployed/underemployed...or are they, as 'Madam Yes' intoned in her accent "Too impooorrrtant to be captuuurrred".

Heard a great ditty from an economist blog:

The poor complain, they always do, but that's just idle chatter
Our system brings rewards for all, or at least all of us that matter

Yes, of course it's a "crisis management" technique, though one wonders what sort of effectiveness such an appeal would have given it's coming from a very unpopular figure.

I'd say a little "creative destruction" is in order for the banking "industry". "Retrain"..."adapt". I mean, the economic elite must believe it since that was the advice they blithely offered to the working class schlubs who lost their jobs and are now unemployed/underemployed...or are they, as 'Madam Yes' intoned in her accent "Too impooorrrtant to be captuuurrred".

Heard a great ditty from an economist blog:

The poor complain, they always do, but that's just idle chatter
Our system brings rewards for all, or at least all of us that matter

After Bush's remarks (although perhaps not cause-and-effect) Hong Kong had a bank run as depositors rushed to withdraw funds from Bank of East Asia.

Latest posts