What is everyone's fascination with Continental?

back2CLT

Advanced
Jan 2, 2008
CLT
Ok, so I flew CO from Charlotte to Boston the other day, well really Cleveland-Boston (CLT to Cleveland was CO Express), and I have to ask why everyone on here has such a hard-on for them? I specifically picked the flight, since I hadn't flown CO in about 10 years and wanted to see what the big deal was.

The aircraft was a 737-800, and I was in coach. 1st Class seats looked nicer than US, but coach was just average, nothing noticably better than a newer A320 for US, and certainly less comfortable and roomy as JetBlue. Ther pretzels bad contained maybe 50% more (which means like 12 instead of 8 mini pretzels) and I still didn't get a whole can of Coke (I'm sure I could have if I asked). The flight attendants were ok....not particularly friendly, but not rude either. The aircraft was mostly clean, but not unsimilar to US's newer A320s. There were no personal TV's, and though I didn't accept the complimentary headphones, the music programming guide didn't have anything that excited me. They did have an inflight magazine, but it really lacked substance. I always though Attache had several well-written articles.

I guess my question is, what's the big deal? I was expecting PTV's, a gleaming plane, hot-towel service, perhaps a choice of snacks (it was too short of a flight to really deserve a meal), and customer service that made me feel special. Now, all that said, I don't really value those items, which is perhaps why I've always been content with US, but I was expecting something more than I got for the way people carry on about CO.

As a side note, can a flight attendant tell me the policy for getting seated for landing? One young lady who was supposed to be in the rear jump seat was still getting her purse out of the forward crew storage less than 1 minute until touch down and then made a mad dash to the rear galley.....she turned the lights out in the galley with less than 15 seconds before we landed....don't know if she managed to buckle in before wheels hit the runway. I'm only asking out of curiousity, and have no intent to tell on anyone if this was out of procedure. I just don't ever recall the attendants not being in their seats during final approach.

Hasn't Continental consistantly been identified by Forbes Magazine as one of the Top 100 companies in the USA to work for?

Hasn't Continental consistantly been identified by Forbes Magazine as one of the Top 100 companies in the USA to work for?

A similar topic to this was/is being kicked around on the FFOCUS boards...

Essentially, here's what we decided: "When it's a short haul like this, all carriers are the same in terms of the service in the air, so the differences come down to pricing and services on the ground."

For long haul....there is simply no better airline in the air right now...try 'em from EWR to SAN/SNA/LAX/SFO/PDX/SEA....

Or, for that matter, from EWR to all points in Florida. Or heck, I did them recently DFW-EWR and was served a full meal and a movie.

Mid-con, transcon....CO is better then most everyone....

This really has nothing to do with US Airways, as such, so it is being moved to the CO board.

CO is too smart to merge with any of these desperate airlines. No value gained. Only headaches.

Their best strategy is to dance dance dance until the fat lady sings.

And she is a'humming....

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"W K O F H",

Forgive me, for "breaking the news to you", But CO (now) wants a DEAL, and though I have NO solid proof to back up my claim, I seriously Doubt, that CO wants to Dance with UAL or LLC.

Ideally CO would "like" to go "solo",......as does AA.

Perhaps the most interesting Rumor I've read on these boards was, CO and AA, NOT combining, but working a type of close code sharing.

Once DL/nw is consummated, CO is free of the trump cards held by NW.

While UAL/DL and LCC....'flaunted" the consolidation theory,................AA and CO "flaunted" the "stand alone" theory.

HMMMMM,......................really makes one wonder.............doesn't it ??

UAL just posted a humongous..$537M loss in qtr. 1, laying off 1,100 people and grounding 30 "birds".

What does this ultimately mean for UAL,..................I not quite sure, Good people work there, so I would'nt take any pleasure from their struggles, ...but,...I do think that CO is "not Interested"

Ok, so I flew CO from Charlotte to Boston the other day, well really Cleveland-Boston (CLT to Cleveland was CO Express), and I have to ask why everyone on here has such a hard-on for them? I specifically picked the flight, since I hadn't flown CO in about 10 years and wanted to see what the big deal was.

The aircraft was a 737-800, and I was in coach. 1st Class seats looked nicer than US, but coach was just average, nothing noticably better than a newer A320 for US, and certainly less comfortable and roomy as JetBlue. Ther pretzels bad contained maybe 50% more (which means like 12 instead of 8 mini pretzels) and I still didn't get a whole can of Coke (I'm sure I could have if I asked). The flight attendants were ok....not particularly friendly, but not rude either. The aircraft was mostly clean, but not unsimilar to US's newer A320s. There were no personal TV's, and though I didn't accept the complimentary headphones, the music programming guide didn't have anything that excited me. They did have an inflight magazine, but it really lacked substance. I always though Attache had several well-written articles.
The newest 737's will have AVOD throughout the plane in @ 1 year,till then,there is no entertainment system on these newest aircraft.The other 737's have drop down screens,which will eventually be converted.CO has one of the youngest fleets in the biz whereas US has a lot of older 737's757's and the 767's at US are nothing to write home about.CO has AVOD on many of its European 757 fleet and is doing the same to the 777.Their 767's are @ 7-9 yrs old,but at least they all have IFE at each seat.Sorry the magazine stunk for you and next time ask the FA for the can.

I guess my question is, what's the big deal? I was expecting PTV's, a gleaming plane, hot-towel service, perhaps a choice of snacks (it was too short of a flight to really deserve a meal), and customer service that made me feel special. Now, all that said, I don't really value those items, which is perhaps why I've always been content with US, but I was expecting something more than I got for the way people carry on about CO.
With fuel at unbelievable record highs, hot towels in Y class are a thing of the past.Labor relations at CAL,while not perfect,certainly arent as volatile as they are at US,IMHO.

As a side note, can a flight attendant tell me the policy for getting seated for landing? One young lady who was supposed to be in the rear jump seat was still getting her purse out of the forward crew storage less than 1 minute until touch down and then made a mad dash to the rear galley.....she turned the lights out in the galley with less than 15 seconds before we landed....don't know if she managed to buckle in before wheels hit the runway. I'm only asking out of curiousity, and have no intent to tell on anyone if this was out of procedure. I just don't ever recall the attendants not being in their seats during final approach
Maybe she lost track of time or didn't hear the be seated for landing for arrival PA.FA's are human too :lol:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"W K O F H",

Forgive me, for "breaking the news to you", But CO (now) wants a DEAL, and though I have NO solid proof to back up my claim, I seriously Doubt, that CO wants to Dance with UAL or LLC.

Ideally CO would "like" to go "solo",......as does AA.

Perhaps the most interesting Rumor I've read on these boards was, CO and AA, NOT combining, but working a type of close code sharing.

Once DL/nw is consummated, CO is free of the trump cards held by NW.

While UAL/DL and LCC....'flaunted" the consolidation theory,................AA and CO "flaunted" the "stand alone" theory.

HMMMMM,......................really makes one wonder.............doesn't it ??

UAL just posted a humongous..$537M loss in qtr. 1, laying off 1,100 people and grounding 30 "birds".

What does this ultimately mean for UAL,..................I not quite sure, Good people work there, so I would'nt take any pleasure from their struggles, ...but,...I do think that CO is "not Interested"

Just a clarification, CAL has already repurchased the ' Golden-Share ' from NWA. They can do what they want whenever they wish.

Just a clarification, CAL has already repurchased the ' Golden-Share ' from NWA. They can do what they want whenever they wish.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Hero",

Thanx for bringing me up-to-date on CO.

CO is a Fine company, and will make either AA or UAL a better company !!!!!!!!!

I worked for Piedmont in EWR in 1980, and we ground handled the REAL(pre Lorenzo :down:) CO.
They were a standout(in a different way) back then. !!!!!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"Hero",

Thanx for bringing me up-to-date on CO.

CO is a Fine company, and will make either AA or UAL a better company !!!!!!!!!

I worked for Piedmont in EWR in 1980, and we ground handled the REAL(pre Lorenzo :down:) CO.
They were a standout(in a different way) back then. !!!!!!!

New Hampshire Black Bears

I too, worked for piedmont in EWR in 1980 and remember working CO. I remember flying them
to HNL and service was excellent. Still fly them today into EWR and still a good experience!

Had some goooooood times in EWR back then

New Hampshire Black Bears

I too, worked for piedmont in EWR in 1980 and remember working CO. I remember flying them
to HNL and service was excellent. Still fly them today into EWR and still a good experience!

Had some goooooood times in EWR back then
Well, I must know both of you then since I too worked there during the same time....I was actually hired by PI because they got the contract to ground handle CO. As I recall they had 3 flights to DEN, and 3 to IAH...Still remember some of the flight #'s...464, 466....Those were the days... :up:

Latest posts

Back