What is the twu international going to give up in BR

700's claims about NW vs DL are true (and yes, I know what board I'm on & that AA's BK is new ground).

I can tell you that my counterparts at DL paid more for insurance, had less vacation (4 weeks-5 if grandfathered- compared to 6), and that we at NW had better sick & OIL accruals, and of course the most important: Scope.

As for the 1113 process itself, I'm well aware that most all of you have little (or no) faith in the TWU. Can't say I blame you, but compared with no CBA in the first place, or no one advocating for you, it's a much better option.

Now all we need is the ability to have the freedom to choose our representitive, without the interference from the government or the company.

An accurate assessment of how well NW employees in BK MUST include the fact that NW eliminated their maintenance dept, eliminating thousands of jobs that paid well above average for the company - and then outsourced the work.
DL continues to operate a large hub in MSP that employees around 10K employees. The jobs that DL moved to ATL were largely not union jobs at all... and in several cases, DL did in fact give the employees the opportunity to transfer or to remain in MSP with a downgrade.
Union or non-union status has not been able to change the viability of former hubs in BNA, RDU, SJC, CLE, CVG, MEM, STL, PIT, BWI or dozens of res offices by a number of airlines spread throughout the country..... either hubs and facilities work economically or they don't. Whether a hub closed or not doesn't say what the carrier did with the jobs that used to be at that location.
AA and CO who were NOT In BK during the decade of the 2000s fared better than their peers who were in BK... but among BK carriers, DL reduced its workforce less during the decade (excluding the NW merger) than any of the other factors. DL's ability to limit layoffs was because it was the only airline that grew its capacity (again net of NW) after it filed for BK.
The best job protection and the best pay and compensation comes from well run companies that know how to adapt to the changes that continually arise and that can maximize their revenue.

"The best job protection and the best pay and compensation comes from well run companies that know how to adapt to the changes that continually arise and maximize their revenue."

Oh so true.

Back