Whats happening to Dallas???

Ebola

Jan 31, 2003
I hate American and have avoided flying them for years. Instead, I''ve been flying on Delta. Now, I''m hearing that Delta is going to be pulling down service (or severely curtailing) at DFW?
Any details on the changes?
I saw that Midland is already gone?
What else.......

Any specifics, though?

I used to fly mainline out to SAN and DCA and LAX. Will those still be around or will it be on ASA?

DL is reducing capacity at DFW, but increasing frequencies. This will largely be done by bringing in many more RJ's.

DFW-LAX will actually gain 1 flight for a total of 4 daily flights. DFW-SAN will be left unchanged. DFW-DCA will be downgraded from MD88's to CRJ700's.

DFW-MAF and DFW-TXK will be terminated. DFW-LEX and DFW-TYS started today. DFW-GPT, DFW-PFN, DFW-DAB and DFW-MLB will have new weekend service starting this weekend. Cities like CAE,PNS,JAN,SDF,MEM,BHM and BNA will all gain RJ frequencies and gain capacity. Cities like DEN,SAT,AUS,JAX and MSY will lose some or all mainline capacity, but will gain frequency.

Hopefully they pick up the pace on the EM2 replacements. OKC is gaining one flight a day to go to 8 daily to DFW...but yet the new flight is an EM2. I don't really see how Delta can compete in that market with only 3 of 8 flights being CRJs...while American has its 3 MD-80s, a bagillion CRJ-700s and ERJ-145s and then throw in Southwest's 8 737s to DAL.

Still holding out hope we will see some TOL-DFW service...since American has postponed plans indefinitely it seems, and well...DL does have a 52% hold on market share here. :)

The problem with the DFW/DAL-OKC route is SW gets the lions share. AA the scraps and DL the crumbs. Its a credit to DL that they even TRY to maintain a hub where AA and SW are the dominant players. Its tough to be the second fiddle but to be third It's almost impossible! Braniff II tried it for a little while at DFW with no success before being driven to MCI.

From an earlier DL communication, Delta mainline is dropped to 62 flights per day from DFW. Connection flights are increasing enough to make a net gain in total flights. But except for ATL and CVG flights, every flight much under 1000 miles will be flown by an RJ, and a few longer ones (like DFW-ONT) are going RJ as well.

Perhaps some mainline employees based at DFW can answer this question: What impact is this having on Delta employees in Dallas? I understand that a large portion of the flight attendants are having to transfer out. How bout pilots and ground personnel?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/2/2003 5:42:21 PM mturpiz wrote:

From an earlier DL communication, Delta mainline is dropped to 62 flights per day from DFW. Connection flights are increasing enough to make a net gain in total flights. But except for ATL and CVG flights, every flight much under 1000 miles will be flown by an RJ, and a few longer ones (like DFW-ONT) are going RJ as well.

----------------
[/blockquote]

Thanks for that info. I thought that I read tht DFW-DCA is going RJ. Seems like an awfully long flight for a RJ (1100+ miles).

You can't call them regional jets anymore. It is not uncommon to see RJ routes over 1,000 miles. I was looking at CoEx rj routes out of IAH the other day and they have routes for their rjs of 1,300 miles.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/6/2003 8:41:17 AM airplt wrote:

You can't call them regional jets anymore. It is not uncommon to see RJ routes over 1,000 miles. I was looking at CoEx rj routes out of IAH the other day and they have routes for their rjs of 1,300 miles.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Ebola jets would be fitting…

Clearly they are being used to completely throw out all possability of reasonable labor wages. The pendulum is swinging and I don’t think it is stopping anytime soon.

Zeph

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/15/2003 9:05:14 PM Zephyr wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/6/2003 8:41:17 AM airplt wrote:

----------------
[/blockquote]

Ebola jets would be fitting…

Clearly they are being used to completely throw out all possability of reasonable labor wages. The pendulum is swinging and I don’t think it is stopping anytime soon.

Zeph

----------------
[/blockquote]

Passengers don't want to pay the "reasonable" fares for the old "reasonable wages". Adapt or die. This is no longer an industry where you can work 10-15 days a month and make a living. The future is low cost, low fare airlines. The wages will need to be dropped in line or your airline will cease to exist. That simple.

This is SO off topic, but I can't resist. It's so wrong to assume that wages are the biggest reason that most airlines can't thrive in the new low-fare economy. Wages certainly do need to be adjusted, at least for the short term, but they are only a small part of the equation. Everyone goes on about Jet Blue, Southwest and Air Tran making money because of their low paid employees. That's not true at all - while, it is true that they may be paid less than those at the majors, they aren't that far behind. Certainly their crew members work more productively, and that should be addressed at the majors. Why is it, though, that nobody ever mentions all the other factors that drive the costs sky high at the majors - things that should also be addressed, such as - meals on long haul domestic flights (ie; flights over 4 hours), clubrooms, elaborate frequent flyer programs, world wide alliances, First Class seating (that nobody ever actually pays for), advanced boarding passes and the latest in web technology. All of those things drive up the costs at every major carrier much more than the wages. If people insist on the majors offering fares that match their low fare competitors than they should also expect that the frills they've come to know and love will be taken away as well. Pretty soon we will end up with a bunch of low fare airlines offering very limited frequent flyer programs with few or no partners, no club rooms or upgrade opportunities because there will be no First Class section, very basic web technology (no advanced check in or kiosks, etc.) and no alliances with other large airline around the world. Only then can you compare Southwest, Air Tran and Jet Blue with Northwest, American, United, Delta, etc.