Where Did They Get This Idea?

Light Years

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
US-related, please don't move...

Rumors are that Northwest wants to start a seperate company, tentatively called "Newco", to operate either E-Jets or the upcoming Bombardier C-Series to completely replace thier massive mainline DC9 fleet. It would employ thier scab mechanics, the scab F/As they have lined up, as well as possibly furloughed employees as new hires.

Now WHERE ON EARTH would they get the idea for such a thing? :down:

Light Years said:
US-related, please don't move...

Rumors are that Northwest wants to start a seperate company, tentatively called "Newco", to operate either E-Jets or the upcoming Bombardier C-Series to completely replace thier massive mainline DC9 fleet. It would employ thier scab mechanics, the scab F/As they have lined up, as well as possibly furloughed employees as new hires.

Now WHERE ON EARTH would they get the idea for such a thing? :down:
[post="296955"][/post]​

This is true along with their international flying to be down by outsourced flight attendants as well. hmmmm sound familiar.... we must stick together guys .... this is looking like a trend in the industry and it looks like alot of mechanics are going to lose their jobs and f/s could as well - they should have all stuck together - they have scabs - in hotels waiting to replace those f/as .... doesn't look good.

goodgirl37 said:
This is true along with their international flying to be down by outsourced flight attendants as well. hmmmm sound familiar.... we must stick together guys .... this is looking like a trend in the industry and it looks like alot of mechanics are going to lose their jobs and f/s could as well - they should have all stuck together - they have scabs - in hotels waiting to replace those f/as .... doesn't look good.
[post="296998"][/post]​
Seems to me that there are only so many trailerparks in the country from which to hire $14.00 an hour Flight Attendants. So while it sounds good on paper Im not sure they can find enough people

ItsNotThatSerious said:
Seems to me that there are only so many trailerparks in the country from which to hire $14.00 an hour Flight Attendants. So while it sounds good on paper Im not sure they can find enough people
[post="297002"][/post]​

Don't be so sure - we are talking Detroit - land of trailer parks!! and not only that many express carriers have f/as that make 14 -15 bucks and hour - look at REPUBLIC for example - trailer park workers - 15 bucks and hour - now thats classy -

goodgirl37 said:
Don't be so sure - we are talking Detroit - land of trailer parks!! and not only that many express carriers have f/as that make 14 -15 bucks and hour - look at REPUBLIC for example - trailer park workers - 15 bucks and hour - now thats classy -
[post="297005"][/post]​
Okay maybe I should have said toothless folks in trailerparks. Sorry.

goodgirl37 said:
[post="297005"][/post]​

I thought West Virginia was the land of trailer parks? ;)

ItsNotThatSerious said:
[post="297002"][/post]​

Not to worry. The Pesident wants us to accept illegal immigrants, and as they haven't been in the country (on paper, anyway) for long, they can pass the background checks easily!

diogenes said:
Not to worry. The Pesident wants us to accept illegal immigrants, and as they haven't been in the country (on paper, anyway) for long, they can pass the background checks easily!
[post="297100"][/post]​
Hmm... I had not thought of that. Gosh I sure hope management doesnt see that idea.

This is COMPLETELY disgusting.... they want to contract out ALL international flying and all flying under 100 seats.

Would the currently active mainline F/As take notice if US follows suit and tries to contract out the international flying? TransAtlantic Airways- The A350 Division? Would they be laughing then?

?

?
At the moment, Northwest mechanics may be the airline's only striking union. But the mechanics aren't really alone.

As the mechanics march on the picket line, the company's other unions also are being targeted by a company that's demanding big concessions from everyone -- except top executives.

But no union can be involved in stranger negotiations than the Professional Flight Attendants Association (PFAA). Sometimes, PFAA leaders don't know whether to laugh or cry at words coming from the lips of straight-faced corporate types.

For example, according to Karen Schultz, a 20-year flight attendant now working with the union's negotiating team, there was this little gem from Northwest:

"If there is a crash," Schultz said, "they want to stop our pay at first impact."

What if the plane bounces?

"First impact," Schultz said.

Peter Fiske, also a 20-year flight attendant who is a member of the union's executive board, added this dandy from the company:

"If something happens while you're overseas and you die, the company would not pay to have your body shipped back," he said.

You mean, if a flight attendant is shot dead by a terrorist on some foreign tarmac, the company wouldn't pay to have the body shipped back?

"That's right," Fiske said.

Remarkably, those may be the highlights of the company's offer.

With negotiations set to resume today, the flight attendants are facing the same impossible situation mechanics faced: Northwest is making offers the union must refuse.

The company wants $143 million from attendants' pockets, not including a pension freeze. Northwest wants to cut the pay of its highest-paid flight attendants, who can make up to about $46,000 a year, by 20 percent. (It takes a flight attendant 15 years of service to get to the $40,000 level.) And it wants to take 8 percent from its lowest-paid flight attendants, who now receive a meager $16,000.

And the "offer" keeps getting worse.

Northwest wants flight attendants to pay for their own training. (Attendants all know such things as CPR and other first-aid techniques.)

And worse.

Northwest is demanding the right to use nonunion "foreign nationals" as flight attendants on all international flights. It also is demanding to use nonunion personnel on planes with 100 or fewer seats.

Union leaders say this offer would wipe out 5,600 of the union's 9,736 jobs.

Fiske, and others, think what Northwest wants to do is use an independent contractor to supply the airline with cheap flight attendants on the international flights and on smaller planes.

Northwest's actions toward some of its most dedicated workers is frightening and painful.

It's frightening because Northwest is showing, in its dealings with mechanics, that there's no room for conversation. It's the company's way, or else.

"But we really can't afford to waste time being frightened," Fiske said. "Our members are counting on us."

Said Schultz: "We all leave here at the end of the day, go home, go to bed and wonder, 'Did I do enough today? Is there something more I could have done?' I truly believe that we're representing every American worker. I've got a 4½-year-old son at home, and my goal is that when he gets to high school, there'll be a little bit in his history book showing that Northwest flight attendants stood up and helped stopped the terrible things happening to American workers."

What's painful, Schultz and Fiske said, is the fact that through this whole process, Northwest executives never came to union leaders and said, "Let's work together" to solve the economic mess that dates back to 1989 and a leveraged buyout by Al Checci and Gary Wilson.

"It breaks our heart," Fiske said. "There's no talk. They have a scorched-Earth, take-no-prisoners approach to their own employees."

The future, the union leaders fear, is just across the highway from PFAA headquarters. That's where mechanics are lugging picket signs, alone for now.

Doug Grow is at

[email protected].

Neil Cohen

Former CFO USAIRWAYS now CFO NWAC

running standard playbook, forced the Mechs out on strike (something UAIR mechs voted to do but did not execute (look over there boys thats what would have happened))

next up park some fleets to get attention (cutting JFK Tokyo "due to high fuel costs"

next will probably be statements to the effect of you can negoiate now with us or later with the courts and look how well UAL and UAIR did in the system. So if you want your pay, pension and benefits cut by 100% in some cases lets get on with it.

this will cause some contracts to renegoiate, reduction in pay will be first as it is an immediate boost to cash flow. figure 15-21% as the final with 25-35% as the opener. IF lucky they will be able to FREEZE and not lose pensions.

then post Christmas look for ROUND 2, as the ratcheting to begin and layoffs if any will occur post holiday season.

look left and look right figure on a 25% headcount as a STARTING POINT. the good news is your signifcant FAR EAST exposure will lessen the blow as it is not as crowded as the north atlantic.

Notice so far no comparissions have been drawn between NWAC and any LCC (no disrespect intended to new US/AWA merger) as those begin to raise their collective heads (well look at the CSM of a SWA) hopefully labor will not forget to point out well their management hedged fuel and lots of it WHAT did you(mgmt) do? why didnt you(mgmt) do it?

and i also suspect that he will want the top job without that i expect and ejection seat shortly before any court date figure 3-5 million to leave.

crystal ball? nah just history. This guy has no innovation, no new moves, ideas, just a playbook, that already is known and known not to work in today's operating enviroment.

:ph34r:

Talked to some senior NW F/A's at the hotel in MKE a couple of weeks ago. One woman said her daughter worked a flight with scabs and it was a complete disaster. The passengers were pissed, there was no communication between senior F/A's and scabs, service was a disaster. They made scabs clean up and lock down galleys. If the scabs asked questions, senior F/A's just said "look it up in your manual." I have NO sympathy for these scabs, they disgust me!

diogenes said:
[post="297100"][/post]​

Yep and the commands will change from "come this way,leave belongings" to "No chinges buey" or "ven por aqui coñaso" :blink:

Back