Ideas on what we can do to cut costs at US airways …or generate revenue 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
shannon,
Will you please pm your prescription meds. Cause I would love to be on what your taking.

Your a riot. plus your hot. :D :D :D

I've said this before but here it is again:

Companies make money from CUSTOMERS, not employees. When you go after your employees for money, the lights are about to go out, that was the only reason that Old US was able to get the concessions that it got, and speaking for myself and many others, I WILL NEVER vote for another concessionary contract again. They can shut the lights off first.

{SO ON AND SO FORTH }

You've gotten some good ideas but you keep hammering the Non Rev travel.

Not going to happen.

East is working under the cheapest contract in the industry. We are not paying to non rev. Twenty pages back you were informed that it would require contract changes in some work group cases. This isn't on the table. Explore the other options

The one thing that is not a solution is further alienating your workforce, greater than 70% that commute. US is experiencing a slight bump in morale from the new uniform. Intelligent human beings would try to extend that bump as long as possible, not put it in a shredder.

Charge for sodas, bags and eliminate paper and weight. Shrink the silly cup. Get rid of the US magazine and embroider the safety card a la Ryan Air. These are all viable options. Charging employees for the last and only benefit of working at US? NOT.

The non rev travel charge HAS happened before , both at AWA and the old US AIRWAYS … It MAY need to happen again , like I said , it depends on the situation , is it profitable , is it even profitable to keep the extra weight off of the AC ? I don’t know , only a numbers person would know these questions …

As for the provisions in some of the contracts , I believe that your union leaders WOULD comply with a request by the company to institute non rev charges if it were for the greater good of this company ….

And as for you working under the cheapest ect ect … I can‘t find polite words to say that I think your union is weak and the members who make up your union are most likely weak as well .Years have passed since your BK contract , and you mean to tell me you’ve gotten nothing done ? Was your work group waiting for mosses to come back from the mountain before proceeding on ?

I’ve gotten a hold of the what I believe were the rates the old us airways used to charge it’s employees to non rev … and eh … I don’t like the numbers , they were what I would consider high … :down:

You see right now WE , or I guess I’ll have to say “I†own this idea … the company will undoubtedly institute this type of policy , be it six months from now or a year …. Right now this is in OUR realm … we control it .. As long as we control it , we can decide how it can and should be structured … in a perfect world our unions would begin talking to one another and decide on a rate and procedure that everyone thinks is fair and then approach the company (at least that’s how unions in Europe that care about their own companies survival would do )…

Look I understand where your coming from completely!, hell NO I don’t want to pay 20 dollars to fly round trip from PHX-SAN or PHX-LAS … no no no!!!!!!

But on the OTHER hand , I’m completely aware of the environment our business is operating in and the factors that are stacked against us .. Sadly I must override my own personal short term self interests and do what is in my long term good … A year from now I don’t want to have this company freeze wages or worse , ask for pay cuts ETC … being as well informed as I think I am , I know that if we take steps NOW , we may mitigate or forestall worse things from befalling us in the future ..

And so there you have it .....

1. 10 dollars one way , another 10 back .

2. commuters will not be charged going to their work place or coming back from it .

how about if your douchebag hero DP and co renounce his 200% bonus now there is some savings

How about we stop paying professional athletes millions upon MILLIONS of dollars to throw or hit balls and run around …. Wow what a contribution that skill is to our society … wow where would we be without the sports athletes …..

Look I am NOT responsible for what the people in sports get paid , and if I don’t LIKE what they get paid , there’s NOTHING that I can do to stop it other than boycott the games completely …

It’s the SAME situation with exec pay … I can’t do #### about it … neither can you … you COULD chose to resign your job in protest and never fly us airways again , but I doubt you’ll do it …

The only thing that we could possibly do is charge any execs a higher fee than the rest of us to non rev .. that’s all I can think of too get back at them that’s within the realm of possibility …

The argument of “the exes get paid so much ! It’s not fair , I’m poor !†is a weak one , and each time yall bring it up , I’ll keep reminding you of these sports stars you all love so much …. :down:

FREEDOM YOU ARE HERE WITH YOUR SILLY IDEAS FOR ATTENTION....KEEP YOUR DUMB IDEAS TO YOURSELF AND STOP GIVING ANYONE ANY IDEAS.

DON'T YOU GET IT! I HAVEN'T HEARD ONE POSTER THAT THINKS YOUR IDEA IS ANY GOOD..................................YOU JUST LIKE TO IMPRESS YOURSELF

WITH YOUR POSTING OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER. GET OVER YOURSELF !!!!

How about we stop paying professional athletes millions upon MILLIONS of dollars to throw or hit balls and run around …. Wow what a contribution that skill is to our society … wow where would we be without the sports athletes …..

Look I am NOT responsible for what the people in sports get paid , and if I don’t LIKE what they get paid , there’s NOTHING that I can do to stop it other than boycott the games completely …

It’s the SAME situation with exec pay … I can’t do #### about it … neither can you … you COULD chose to resign your job in protest and never fly us airways again , but I doubt you’ll do it …

The only thing that we could possibly do is charge any execs a higher fee than the rest of us to non rev .. that’s all I can think of too get back at them that’s within the realm of possibility …

The argument of “the exes get paid so much ! It’s not fair , I’m poor !†is a weak one , and each time yall bring it up , I’ll keep reminding you of these sports stars you all love so much …. :down:
that's a stupid comparison those sports stars you refer to generate millions to team owners.I'd say this is the dumbest thing you have ever said but there has been so many I am not sure

shannon LOL wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?

2. commuters will not be charged going to their work place or coming back from it .

Prove that I am NOT a commuter on my next trip then! :ph34r: Way back in the old days we did pay for nonrev travel. It was a flat fee per employee/spouse/kid/parent for the year. Total charges max, I think, per family was $120 for the year. Not everyone has a big family. You're talking 1-3 mil a year vs lots of po-d employees. Not worth it IMO. And if I am charged to nonrev per segment I will find another carrier that we get passes on to travel or stay home. Not a lot of us go to LAS for lunch like you say. If so, they're the very small minority. I know of agents in my station that havent been on a plane for years. We had a girl that worked here 20+ years and just took her first INTL trip. Its not going to be as big a chunk of change as you'd think vs what its going to do to morale and the current upswing the airline is headed operational/morale wise. How about latching on to some of the other suggestions here and run with them to DP?

Shannon- re- oversales. Why isnt the sup or manager or agent calling inventory to drop them? If the flight is already oversold and continues to climb then they need to drop it. Personally, I think the aus should be dropped down to actual or just a couple over day of dept. SRQ canx a flight and doesnt call us and then the next thing we know we're over by 5-10 on everything the rest of the night. Now we're full and taking dbs when other arrangements should have been made from the start. I dont see how continuing to allow 10-15 over and giving out compensation out the door from last minute bookings is helping the bottom line. So you sold 1 more $200 ticket and paid the hotel $99 for the room for the oversale plus meals plus voucher. How much are we actually going to take in for the hassle involved? These numbers are not actual numbers and depending on the situation could be less or a lot more.

Freedom- Sports stars are NOT running this airline the execs are and before they come and take 1 more penny from me or charge me 1 more penny to nonrev, they need to start contributing their own $ to the bottom line. Why do you think they should continue to be exempt from helping out? I know you'll probably state, its in their contract, and I'll state that its a lot easier for them to give each other the cushy contract since they're approving (or the board of cronies) is approving it. Too bad it doesnt work that management can negotiate our contract with the company and have it approved by us and then the employees get to negotiate FOR THE COMPANY as to what they think management should get out of their contracts. Things would be a whole lot different if that were the case.

No mike , my ideas are not silly , and it is Definitely my idea to give certain people “ideas†…

Our company is in trouble , perhaps not at this very SECOND … but heading into the FUTURE we will be .. It’s hard for you to see ,because tomorrow isn’t here yet , but we have to fight that future war TODAY .. That’s what I’m proposing …

I don’t care if every last worker is against what I propose .. That doesn’t mean it’s not a good idea to generate revenue or cut costs , IN ORDER TO SAVE OUR COMPANY ……

I have to admit I do find it HARD to believe that most people on here won’t even look at the idea with an open mind …. In the other threads on here people are predicting doom and gloom for our company , yet I’m not allowed to discuss the most radical idea to cut/generate revenue ? My idea doesn’t come out of ANYONES pocket , unless they chose too .. Much like the al carte service we’re offering to our customers ….

It’s time to take all of the facts and add them up

Over capacity

Recession

High price of oil

Shrinking consumer base …

It’s the freaking perfect storm

You see right now WE , or I guess I’ll have to say “Iâ€￾ own this idea … .. Sadly I must override my own personal short term self interests and do what is in my long term good … being as well informed as I think I am , I know that if we take steps NOW , we may mitigate or forestall worse things from befalling us in the future ..

If this is truly how you feel, then might I suggest that every time YOU nonrev, you go to the counter and tell the agent that you insist on being charged a service charge ticket. It can be done in the computer and then you can happily contribute YOUR service charge to the airline when you travel. You can pass your idea on to anyone else who shares your zest to pay to nonrev. This way you can say you have done YOUR part to help contribute to the success of USAirways! :blink: :rolleyes:

EDIT :I’m tired of speculating , does ANYONE have any projections on what a non rev charging program would generate in terms of revenue for this company ? ANYONE ? Would anyone care to take a guess ?

35,000 employees w/ dependants, avg. 15 freebies/year, 10/year if they're charged. (Commuters exempt.)
10 * 35,000 * 3 (for 2 dependants) = 1,050,000 freebies * $20 = 21 million. (Not counting cost to collect the fees, probably minimal)
US Airways lost 260 million in the 1st quarter or about 1 billion a year.
Is 21 million worth the morale hit when compared to 1 billion a year in losses?

you've now given your employees a 21 million dollar pay cut. When union bargaining time comes, they might use that as leverage.
Best the ideas to save money not come at the expense of the employees.

:shock: :blink: Only if the regular sodee is RC. We could sell moon pies too! Or how about Pepsi and a bag of peanuts to dump in it? Maybe we could sell exotic sodees like Fanta or Ritz? :up: :ph34r:
a Pepsi/Coke with peanuts to put in it? man that's good times there I'd pay for that now

Status
Not open for further replies.