Ideas on what we can do to cut costs at US airways …or generate revenue 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
35,000 employees w/ dependants, avg. 15 freebies/year, 10/year if they're charged. (Commuters exempt.)
10 * 35,000 * 3 (for 2 dependants) = 1,050,000 freebies * $20 = 21 million. (Not counting cost to collect the fees, probably minimal)
US Airways lost 260 million in the 1st quarter or about 1 billion a year.
Is 21 million worth the morale hit when compared to 1 billion a year in losses?

you've now given your employees a 21 million dollar pay cut. When union bargaining time comes, they might use that as leverage.
Best the ideas to save money not come at the expense of the employees.

Well when you put it factually like that , your right , it’s not worth 22 million …

Never mind then , scratch that one …

OK its offical ...........Freedom has lost his mind..

remember folks your dealing with a type A personally here...........

No O-man , he just put it in terms that are black and white and beyond dispute … that pathetic sum of 22 million most likely isn’t worth the blow to morale , it’s jut not enough … if it were 100 million then I’d say “lets go for it!†but 22 million ? Pish , we have state lotteries many times more than that …

If I WAS insane I’d have said something like

“oh ####!!! You mean we can save TWENTY TWO MILLION DOLLARS!!! ALL OF OUR PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED !!!â€

Not in sane …. Just too lazy to try number crunching ....

No O-man , he just put it in terms that are black and white and beyond dispute … that pathetic sum of 22 million most likely isn’t worth the blow to morale , it’s jut not enough … if it were 100 million then I’d say “lets go for it!†but 22 million ? Pish , we have state lotteries many times more than that …

“oh ####!!! You mean we can save TWENTY TWO MILLION DOLLARS!!! ALL OF OUR PROBLEMS ARE SOLVED !!!â€

my point exactly your too lazy to do research your too lazy to go to union meetings. but You want to place yourself on this high

shelf of knowledge that you don't have. I would have to say you make a fool of your self but yet you seem to enjoy doing that

so have it . but I highly doubt anyone takes you even halfway serious . Take your current pay raise windfall that you'll enjoy

for the next 6 months and take the family out to dinner cause you will be looking for work after phx is downsized back to the

1 horse town it was years ago . and don't worry about saving the world . get your degree and move on ........

To insist upon something without looking into it yourself and then to agree when someone else figured it out for you is............. YOUR M.O.

A Typical

my point exactly your too lazy to do research your too lazy to go to union meetings. but You want to place yourself on this high

shelf of knowledge that you don't have. I would have to say you make a fool of your self but yet you seem to enjoy doing that

so have it . but I highly doubt anyone takes you even halfway serious . Take your current pay raise windfall that you'll enjoy

for the next 6 months and take the family out to dinner cause you will be looking for work after phx is downsized back to the

1 horse town it was years ago . and don't worry about saving the world . get your degree and move on ........

A M E N ! !

I disagreed with him but didn't think he deserved all of that. He put forth an idea. You can vehemetly disagree without the personal attack.
It's the bigger man that can admit a mistake and change his mind. Don't beat him up for that.

The non rev travel charge HAS happened before , both at AWA and the old US AIRWAYS … It MAY need to happen again , like I said , it depends on the situation , is it profitable , is it even profitable to keep the extra weight off of the AC ? I don’t know , only a numbers person would know these questions …

As for the provisions in some of the contracts , I believe that your union leaders WOULD comply with a request by the company to institute non rev charges if it were for the greater good of this company ….

And as for you working under the cheapest ect ect … I can‘t find polite words to say that I think your union is weak and the members who make up your union are most likely weak as well .Years have passed since your BK contract , and you mean to tell me you’ve gotten nothing done ? Was your work group waiting for mosses to come back from the mountain before proceeding on ?

I’ve gotten a hold of the what I believe were the rates the old us airways used to charge it’s employees to non rev … and eh … I don’t like the numbers , they were what I would consider high … :down:

You see right now WE , or I guess I’ll have to say “I†own this idea … the company will undoubtedly institute this type of policy , be it six months from now or a year …. Right now this is in OUR realm … we control it .. As long as we control it , we can decide how it can and should be structured … in a perfect world our unions would begin talking to one another and decide on a rate and procedure that everyone thinks is fair and then approach the company (at least that’s how unions in Europe that care about their own companies survival would do )…

Look I understand where your coming from completely!, hell NO I don’t want to pay 20 dollars to fly round trip from PHX-SAN or PHX-LAS … no no no!!!!!!

But on the OTHER hand , I’m completely aware of the environment our business is operating in and the factors that are stacked against us .. Sadly I must override my own personal short term self interests and do what is in my long term good … A year from now I don’t want to have this company freeze wages or worse , ask for pay cuts ETC … being as well informed as I think I am , I know that if we take steps NOW , we may mitigate or forestall worse things from befalling us in the future ..

And so there you have it .....

1. 10 dollars one way , another 10 back .

2. commuters will not be charged going to their work place or coming back from it .

STOP!

"Let us not assassinate this lad further, Senator. You have done enough. Have you no sense of decency sir, at long last? Have you left no sense of decency?" -Special Counsel for the Army Joseph N. Welch (Army-McCarthy Hearings)

Where is the decency and honor in attacking a young man that cares and expresses his opinions? Did all of this make you feel better about yourself? Does attacking and hurting people bring you joy? If you disagree with him, just say you disagree. Leave it at that. This was uncalled for. I know this person and he is a kind soul with a good heart. In this day where young workers only frown, avoid eye contact and grunt monosyllables, freedom is a gem.

Your post actually hurt MY feelings and it wasn't even aimed at me.

Perhaps now the insanity will stop. I'm glad someone actually put out some actual concrete numbers. Now we can leave the money generating ideas to the people that are actually paid to do so.

I think this is why Freedom started this thread....to brainstorm ways to generate revenue. If increasing fares would work, it would have been done a long time ago.
Generate revenue off the employees? Quite an opener. Worked before. Probably will not work again.

The act of increasing fares is not a "one time shot". It is a continual exploration of the marketing niche US has chosen. Because the niche changes daily, it would be rather stupid to only try that once, then never again.

I guess that is one reason I have no confidence with the shills and koolaide drinkers here. They simply parrot the company line because they have no understanding of the underlying issues, much less the geometry, of the environment US operates within.

How about we stop paying professional athletes millions upon MILLIONS of dollars to throw or hit balls and run around …. Wow what a contribution that skill is to our society … wow where would we be without the sports athletes …..
Look, comparing executives to ball players is really gross. Nothing in common whatsoever. One entertains us, the other, supposedly, manages us. Perhaps executives should be paid no more than coaches or ball managers?

Of course, excepting one vaulted executive entertaining the girls prison....... even if only for one night. :huh:

Why have we even given this fool 23 pages of debate.
This thread is obvious of management sniping to get a feel for another
benefit reduction.
This guy freesomthing is definetly all about management hiding behind the cloak
of," I want to save the company because I want to work here forever."
Folks, fuel cost are something that is out of control, you could work for
free and the bozo's in management would still squander the savings on something
else. Remember save one dollar here , spend ten in Phl.
This thread is over..................................................................

It’s funny how things work out when you have an oddball involved. Dud your mysterious rhetoric can only have one meaning and it not to save USAirways for existence

And with Piedmont if you had 25 years of service you and your family flew for FREE for life with your seniority NOW THAT IS FREE----DOM-----

Status
Not open for further replies.