Which 757-ETOPS was I just on?

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
I was on #1075 this morning from PHL-CLT. It had 3 rows of Envoy with the blue leather 60" pitch seats from the A330.

But on this plane, there was no lav at the 2L door. There were two full rows of coach (i.e. no claustrophobic row 4ABC).

1.) For some reason I thought the 757 ETOPS were all given the winglets. This did not have them. Are they progressively being installed to those 7 aircraft and this one just missed it?
2.) Has someone in Tempe gotten wise and pulled the 2L lav in favor of another row of coach (5ABC)?

N205UW is one of the 757's we aquired that were original ATA. I think the winglets on that aircraft were not installed in time for the busy travel season. Considering the horrible season it was there certainly wasn't any time for doing them. That's what I'd guess. As for the lav at the 2L door, the ATA planes don't have one. They have a third bathroom fwd of the 3L door. If you see the a/c from the outside you'll notice a pretty nice chunk of windows missing fwd of that door. Love/hate some of those EFLOPS.

I was actually wondering the same thing. I saw a 757 at a gate for Brussels a few weeks ago that did not have winglets on it and I had thought all TA ETOPS aircraft had the winglets.

But a plus would be that the plane you were on had both Envoy seats AND no mini torture chamber (ala row 4). Maybe this is the beginning of the interior refurbishment program and a new layout dedicated for the TA 757 fleet (hopefully they can make a nice layout now for the new Hawaii 757 fleet).

Maybe this is the beginning of the interior refurbishment program and a new layout dedicated for the TA 757 fleet (hopefully they can make a nice layout now for the new Hawaii 757 fleet).
Don't hold your breath. The ex-ATA airplanes were on the property and flying before they converted the East 757's to ETOPs w/Envoy. Then the ex-ATA 757's had the Envoy seats put in when the East 757's were converted to the Envoy config. If they would have been going to standardize them based on the ATA configuration, the ETOPs/Envoy conversion would have been the perfect opportunity - and they didn't do it.

Jim

As for the lav at the 2L door, the ATA planes don't have one. They have a third bathroom fwd of the 3L door. If you see the a/c from the outside you'll notice a pretty nice chunk of windows missing fwd of that door. Love/hate some of those EFLOPS.
I did notice that behind row 22ABC were 2 lavs and there was 1 behind 22DEF. I think this coach config is as good as it can get (short of reducing pitch). I'm more surprised that Tempe didn't configure the whole 757 TA fleet (all 7 of them) the same way. Well, actually I'm not surprised. But you get the idea.

The entire 757 EFLOPS conversion and operation from beginning to end was a joke and an embarrassment to the entire company and all crew above and below the wing involved with it this past summer. It has Tempe written ALL over it and regardless of spin or reasoning, THEY DON'T CARE! ! !

Didn't all of the ex-EA birds originally come with the lav set-up similar to the ex-ATA configuration. I seem to remember a row or 2 of coach on the left side only in front of 2L for about a year when they first arrived.

I just spoke with my aunt who has left the company. She said that the Eastern birds did have the 3 lav setup by 3L/3R. There was no lav at 2L when they arrived. Now flying OUR reconfigured EFLOPS to Europe is awful. Flying it between hubs and MCO is no walk in the park either. There is NO ROOM for anything. Working out of the back is horrible to say the least. I understand the rush to get these birds in the air but they are disgusting. I had a captain ask if there were any write ups for a/c 202 on a particular trip. I told him to have the company send the bird RIGHT to the desert. Take a walk on NW, AA, UA, CO and DL's 757's. Then take another walk through our 757's. HOW this company operates as they do is beyond me. They don't care about the customer OR the employee. Things have to get to the lowest point before they react.

Enough crewmembers refuse to fly those aircraft and they will develop "care", guaranteed.
Would be tough to explain that you refuse to fly because the lavs are not in the right place or the galleys are not consistent. Look..I'm not defending the model but it is the business model of the new US Airways we are discussing.
Put seats in the air...that's the mantra of this company. There is enough demand right now that the revenue makes those 757s (bad configuration and all) a money maker .

Would be tough to explain that you refuse to fly because the lavs are not in the right place or the galleys are not consistent. Look..I'm not defending the model but it is the business model of the new US Airways we are discussing.
Put seats in the air...that's the mantra of this company. There is enough demand right now that the revenue makes those 757s (bad configuration and all) a money maker .
When you have the EFLOPS a/c have lavs overflow in the aisle and ovens that are to cook a meal in 25-30 minutes taking OVER an hour and a half it's a problem. Couple that with meals being wrapped in blankets sitting on crew rest seats and meals being placed in overhead bins, YEAH we have a problem here. Carts in the galley that don't have tracks to hold the meals so they all get stacked and fall all over the place. They took out all of the atlas drawer area less two for ovens WITHOUT thinking of where they would put THAT water/soda or ice. You guessed it....you simply don't get extra soda/water or ice. When you run out of something as simple as water? C'mon. And you just affirmed what I said earlier in that Usairways doesn't care about it's Customer OR employee. Pretty evident.

all etops a/c including the usair birds will get refurbished in time for next summer. they will all have new galleys and ovens. new over head bins installed and new economy seats. also the aft support galley that the ata planes have will be installed on all etops a/c but they will hold full size carts instead of half size carts. also the 767's will get new aft galleys installed as well. new ovens wil be installed where the drinks are currently stowed eliminating the use of the plug in meal carts. the drinks will be relocated in new carts that will replace the plug-in carts. oh and by the way. no chillers will be installed on the 757's. i asked why and they simply told me that continental and american do not have chillers on their 757's and it's too costly to install.

don't shoot the messenger.

I thought a support area would be better at row 4 abc. That single set of seats on the etops a/c is horrible. you can't even stretch your legs or recline fully. You could park 4 full sized carts side by side with a nice counter. That could be a dry galley to hold a support cart, water/juice and duty free with a trash cart. It would save running and make better use of that space.

I'd prefer a standard 757 config across the fleet of 14 Envoy seats (the two additional seats would be forward of 2L, taking the place of the tunnel). These seats would be passenger seats on domestic/NTI flights, and crew rest seats on international with a curtain.

2R would have a beverage galley, where the beverages carts come from, utilizing the back mostly for meal prep (I'd also like to return to half size bev carts, but this setup could still be done with full size carts, just taking up more space). The IFE controls would also be located in this galley as well as Duty Free. The lav would be moved to aft of 2L. The aft 'support galley' on the ATA planes would be removed. The other two lavs would be forward of 3L and 3R as in the standard US config.

This setup would

-balance traffic flow to lavatories, reduce buildup by having them in different areas.
-Reduce "too much blue in the galley", having two seperate areas to work out of, making individual F/A duties more efficient
-Only reduce seat count by a couple rows of Economy, but add two domestic first seats
-Create a private, crew rest area
-Provide more seperation between Envoy and Ecomony cabins
-Moves IFE into a crew area, creating more overhead space

XX XX
XX G
---- ----
2L 2R
---- ----
LAV G
xxx xxx

Latest posts