Who handles ramp in CLT for Express

AIRMAIL

Jan 15, 2003
www.usaviation.com
I have a friend interested in getting a part-time job with Express in CLT on the ramp. Does anyone know who handles the ramp and who they should contact?

Thank you for your help!

Why is that? There should be a "-" between 'piedmont' and 'airlines'. www.piedmont-airlines.com

I remember my first airline fleet service job @ CLT - it was CC Air! wow...times have changed! Whatever happened to them? I still have my company ID!

YV, I disagree with your assessment of EN completely. And I'm going to rant for a minute about my experience. And before folks go getting all defensive, none of this is intended as a slam on Mainline frontline employees.

I worked for Airways for 17 years. I worked for EN for 1.5. Other than the salary, which SUCKS at Express (I took a 50% cut when I transferred there), EN treats its employees so much better than Airways. My worst day at Piedmont was better than my best day at Airways.

No offense intended, but I think one thing that makes people think EN isn't a good place to work is that people who work there actually HAVE TO WORK. The people who work on the front line for Piedmont WANT to work in the airline industry. They don't get paid diddle, yet most of them are out there hustling. And anyone who has stuck around really wants to work there, because the pay doesn't get much better. It's hard to attract talent at such a low payscale.

I have the utmost respect for the people of Piedmont. They do so much with so little and they get treated like second class citizens. Because of my Mainline history, I was perhaps privy to comments that might have been filtered for others who were "purely" Express that were made by people at Mainline. I could see the look on their faces like "Oops...forgot he worked there now." Things like "I don't even know why [department X (where I worked at EN)] exists. All they do is recycle things we've done and put it in co-mail." That couldn't be farther from the truth. Innumerable times, EN would find out with two or three days' notice something that Mainline had known about for months and then have to adapt to the Express model, coordinate and roll it out to a jillion people -- on a shoestring budget.

And that doesn't even begin to touch facilities. Mainline in a beautiful, state of the art building with a cafeteria. Next door, Express working from a veritable slum with mice, roaches, ants, axle-eating potholes in the parking lot (where there was pavement), marginally functioning HVAC and a hot dog cart for lunch. Yet everyone was smiling and cooperating.

<end of rant>

EN treats its employees so much better than Airways. My worst day at Piedmont was better than my best day at Airways.

<end of rant>

NCFL:

Agreed on your assessment of the way people are treated at EN versus US. EN V.P. Eric Morgan is a class act, and after he meets an employee, he knows them by name the next time he sees them (not sure how he does that).

The starting pay for an EN ramp agent in CLT is $8.65/hr in comparison to a US new hire at $9.85/hr. As an EN agent, you have better health care options (when you become full-time), you have an EN sponsored 401K (1.5 times match), and you can move up into management a lot faster if you have the desire and ability. EN is much more like a family environment, and because there is no "us" versus "them" union mentality, things seem to get done more efficiently than on the US mainline side of the house. There is also a lot more flexibility in scheduling and overtime at EN because management does not have to have the blessing of the union to determine work schedules or overtime utilization.

If you value being able to control your own destiny, and can afford to lag behind in wages for a few years, EN is definitely a much more friendly place to work than US.

NCFL:

EN V.P. Eric Morgan is a class act, and after he meets an employee, he knows them by name the next time he sees them (not sure how he does that).

Eric Morgan is an incredible boss. I can't name one single person at the VP level at Mainline who EVER acted "nicely" to employees. They were always interested in keeping a degree of aloofness and separating themselves from the rank and file in a "superior versus subordinate" sort of relationship. Eric got to know people. Asked "how are things at home?" That sort of stuff. That doesn't mean people can shirk, but he is incredibly personable and approachable.

EN is much more like a family environment, and because there is no "us" versus "them" union mentality, things seem to get done more efficiently than on the US mainline side of the house. There is also a lot more flexibility in scheduling and overtime at EN because management does not have to have the blessing of the union to determine work schedules or overtime utilization.

I wasn't going to bring the union thing up. But since you did, not only does EN avoid the inflexibility of union issues, it also isn't an environment where employees can hide behind union protectionism. They have to work. And if they don't, they just might get shown the exit.

And for those who have a less than stellar work ethic, that translates to "a crappy place to work."

BTW: Spin...good to hear from you!

Are yous talking about the same Piedmont i workrd for for nearly 5 years only to be fired when my FMLA lapsed? Oh yeah, that is a class act management they have in CLT. They do whatever they feel like to there employees. Yeah, its all good as long as you kiss their butts but god forbid you question anything. After a phone battle with HR is Salisbury, I was back to work in an hour. My FMLA papers were sitting on the person's desk waiting for reapproval, now had the idiots in management listened when I told them they were bringing on a whole of hurt by firing me while I was in the process of renewing my FMLA, then they wouldn't have been blasted by their superiors. Needless to say, I went back to work, and 2 weeks later started with mainline. Life is better at mainline than EN.

I can only echo what JetguyCLT posted above.

With all due respect the folks on the Piedmont ramp in Charlotte are treated very bad & I'm talking about the few good ones they have. The turn over is unbelievable as people can not take it. Oh & with few exceptions all they are able to hire are the thugs.

I'm a big believer in the theory of employees reaping what they sow.

From my seat, I found Piedmont management to be fair, respectful and interested in preserving employee dignity. And I speak from my own experience through what was an extremely unpleasant and personal FMLA-covered ordeal for me that ultimately led to my decision to resign.

I suspect that if I'd been a thorn in my boss's side, rather than an asset to my department (in spite of my personal problems), management's reaction could have justifiably been very different. I think a lot of employees forget about that basic "reap what you sow" principle.

Oh, and as a footnote, during this same ordeal, several people and several entire departments within Mainline treated me like a leper and a felon - neither of which I am or ever was.

Everyone's situation is different, and I'm glad, Jet and Harry, that you've both found Mainline better to deal with than Piedmont. Best of luck to you.

Why would your friend apply at EN instead of Mainline in CLT? As far as the benefits at EN being better than those at Mainline, you better check on that again. I know several EN employees, and they say the benefits suck as do the working condtions. Put a jackass manager together with a non-union workplace, and see where that goes. Based on my information, local management can do whatever they want at their OWN discrestion. I have heard everything from different hours from day to day, as well as hiring and upgrading people without reguard to seniority. I'm sure that some who work there will chime in very soon with the sad truth about working at EN. :blink:

I'm a big believer in the theory of employees reaping what they sow.

From my seat, I found Piedmont management to be fair, respectful and interested in preserving employee dignity. And I speak from my own experience through what was an extremely unpleasant and personal FMLA-covered ordeal for me that ultimately led to my decision to resign.

I suspect that if I'd been a thorn in my boss's side, rather than an asset to my department (in spite of my personal problems), management's reaction could have justifiably been very different. I think a lot of employees forget about that basic "reap what you sow" principle.

Oh, and as a footnote, during this same ordeal, several people and several entire departments within Mainline treated me like a leper and a felon - neither of which I am or ever was.

Everyone's situation is different, and I'm glad, Jet and Harry, that you've both found Mainline better to deal with than Piedmont. Best of luck to you.

Reap what you sow huh? Yeah, hopefully those idiots who manage EN in CLT will get it back 3 fold. Here is the thing about management at EN, you could be a thorn one day and kiss enough butt, and your a great employee the next. They are so back and forth, one day they like you, the next they don't. I am really not sure what their problem was with me, I was never late and the only time I was out was when I needed to take my FMLA, maybe twice every 2 weeks. I am very proficient in my job so that couldn't have been a problem either. No, I guess that witch and her warlock just didn't like me for some reason.

Latest posts