Why Aren't All Airline Unions Meeting Now?

Fatherknowsbest

Advanced
Sep 19, 2003
(Think outside the box they call it) I am not a Union expert. With the whole Airline industry now on its head, why aren't AFL-CIO Unions all accross the country in this industry having emergency meetings? Even Southwest is heavily unionized AND very successful. This industry is failing. Before it is too late why hasn't any coaltion been formed?

My idea is for meetings of ALL Airline Unions, not meetings of all Unions of 1 Airline Company. Just a thought.

Any chance of success?

Thanks!

GREED,

The employees at all of the other airlines would love to see another airline fail to enhance the opporotunity at the airline they work for.

That is why there is not national seniority lists....

Fatherknowsbest said:
(Think outside the box they call it) I am not a Union expert. With the whole Airline industry now on its head, why aren't AFL-CIO Unions all accross the country in this industry having emergency meetings? Even Southwest is heavily unionized AND very successful. This industry is failing. Before it is too late why hasn't any coaltion been formed?

My idea is for meetings of ALL Airline Unions, not meetings of all Unions of 1 Airline Company. Just a thought.
Any chance of success?
Thanks!
[post="194165"][/post]​

You got that right---senority on the pilots side is'nt about a brotherhood but a cold blooded numbers game--nothing new here----they want our blood and smell it.

This is why falling on our sword (not taking consessions so that we do not "lower the bar) is a farce,

All of the other airlines are looking at what US Airways has...a dominant east coast position, and they are loving the idea that we go away making an opportunity for increeased flying at their airline.

And of course, no jobs for us!

OTOH, a viable US Airways is trouble for them (legacy of LCC), and we can do it...we have the real estate, equipment, and emplyees...and a chance for dynamic leadership now and in the future.

Lets get on with it already!

twoturnin said:
You got that right---senority on the pilots side is'nt about a brotherhood but a cold blooded numbers game--nothing new here----they want our blood and smell it.
[post="194281"][/post]​

UseYourHead said:
GREED,

The employees at all of the other airlines would love to see another airline fail to enhance the opporotunity at the airline they work for.

That is why there is not national seniority lists....
[post="194280"][/post]​

BS.

I work in MX here in BWI and U MX has helped us out immensely here. We're here for U not because we owe the Company anything but we owe those Mechanics and stock clerks that helped us out.

It has happened here where you have had a grounded aircraft and Mx has come over here and I gave him the part as a "unit exchange" on his word he would get the part back to us (which he did). Your plane got out of here alot faster because of Southwest and because I wanted to help the mechanic who needed the part.

Now if we wanted you to fail I would have said we don't have the part and that would have been it.

I am a teamster your guys are IAM our Mechanics are AMFA and we all work together. Many of the guys here have changed shirts from Usairways to Southwest anyway.

So this Us against them mantality is not always correct.

UseYourHead said:
.and a chance for dynamic leadership now and in the future.
[post="194283"][/post]​
:stupid:

That is the funniest thing I have ever heard.

You got to be kidding!

I wrote this on the "Labor" forum:

Desperate times call for desperate measures. What's that old saying: "Strength in numbers"? One thing's for sure; some cataclysmic event is going to have to happen to stop labor's deep decent into the minimum wage abyss. I guess it's time for everyone to put their balls (or boobies) out there man...

wnbubbleboy said:
BS.

I work in MX here in BWI and U MX has helped us out immensely here. We're here for U not because we owe the Company anything but we owe those Mechanics and stock clerks that helped us out.

It has happened here where you have had a grounded aircraft and Mx has come over here and I gave him the part as a "unit exchange" on his word he would get the part back to us (which he did). Your plane got out of here alot faster because of Southwest and because I wanted to help the mechanic who needed the part.

Now if we wanted you to fail I would have said we don't have the part and that would have been it.

I am a teamster your guys are IAM our Mechanics are AMFA and we all work together. Many of the guys here have changed shirts from Usairways to Southwest anyway.

So this Us against them mantality is not always correct.
[post="194284"][/post]​

Thank you for your post and assistance when needed.
Now, as for the gist of your comment. It falls right in line with other posts I have made. The employees at U are continuing to do there work and very well I must say. You wouldn't believe all the exposure I have to many areas of our operation. All departments are doing a swell job. That is the human nature part, and the employees here have a good heart: as many other people in this world do. Some here note that and appreciate it. I know I do.

Fatherknowsbest said:
I see today that the head of the AFA is calling for a nationwide Flight Attendant strike, because of efforts of Airlines Like US and UAL to do severe damage to the profession.
[post="201353"][/post]​

In an update, it seems that the AFA BOD has approved the idea.

Updated Story

It's not clear to me whether they're talking about a nationwide strike or at specific airlines, but the results of a membership poll are expected to be in by late December - just in time for the judge to rule on U's contracts.

Jim

deltawatch said:
ALPA has all ways been 100 miles wide and an 1/8 of an inch thick ... ask the commuter guys.....
[post="201371"][/post]​

And it's never seen a picket line it wouldn't cross.

deltawatch said:
ALPA has all ways been 100 miles wide and an 1/8 of an inch thick ... ask the commuter guys.....
[post="201371"][/post]​

I can't disagree with you, unfortunately. The last time I remember ALPA national contemplating any nationwide work action was over the 3-man/2-man crew issue - and we all know how long ago that was...

Jim

Back