Why did my luggage go to RDU?

Heinrich

Senior
Dec 20, 2002
Yesterday I went SAN - ORF through PHL and got in very late. Luggage not there. No surprise, since it didn't make it to me at arrival in SAN either.

The tag says that today it went on flight 2673 (RDU to CLT) then 2656 CLT to ORF.

Why did it go to RDU? I thought that luggage often sat at a hub for too long, I didn't realize it would actually go to the wrong city!! :down:

Probably just got loaded on the wrong plane @ PHL. RDU looks sooo much like ORF on the bag tag, ya know :lol:

Jim

Maybe the planes were next to each other and they put it on the wrong plane.

Years ago when US served San Jose, California, I flew RDG-PIT-SJC. I checked one bag. And it ended up in San Juan, PR. I seen them tag my luggage in RDG and they did put SJC tag on, but ended up in SJU. I got my bag 4 days into my 5 day trip. I had a rental car while I was there and they asked me if I can come to the airport and pick it up. I made them deliver it to my hotel room, by taxi. Which I stayed about 4 blocks away.

They didn't even return the bag via the direct RDU - ORF flight. It went to CLT then to ORF.

Fortunately, and I probably shouldn't even say this, while I miss my bag 50% of the time that I check it (which is not often) either in CLT or in PHL, it has shown up within 24 hours and I've never been missing anything out of it.

For this trip, missing my bag 100% of the time (both arrival and departure) is a new record. The arrival in SAN was through CLT (the same flight that a gold was upgraded before me as CP on a 26 seat 321).

Probably just got loaded on the wrong plane @ PHL. RDU looks sooo much like ORF on the bag tag, ya know :lol:

Jim

Part of the problem with bag routings is the new SHARES system. Bag tags for transfer in PHL and CLT used to have zone numbers on them to ensure they were correctly distributed to the right concourse and area of the airport. Now, with SHARES, there is no Zone number on the tag, and ramp agents are having a difficult time determining the correct area to take the bags to during a connection. As a result, the bags are being sent to the wrong areas of the airport and then are missing connections. It will take about 2 or 3 weeks before all of the agents become familiar with the new bag tags and where they need to go.

Also, as an added benefit, SHARES does not display a departure gate number on customer boarding passes. SABRE had that functionality, and it was easy to direct customers to the correct area for their departure. Now, it takes an extra 30 seconds or so to actually look up the gate number in SHARES to direct the customer to their departure gate.

Maybe, Tempe IT will come up with fixes for both of these, but it is doubtful given their recent track record.

Part of the problem with bag routings is the new SHARES system. Bag tags for transfer in PHL and CLT used to have zone numbers on them to ensure they were correctly distributed to the right concourse and area of the airport. Now, with SHARES, there is no Zone number on the tag, and ramp agents are having a difficult time determining the correct area to take the bags to during a connection. As a result, the bags are being sent to the wrong areas of the airport and then are missing connections. It will take about 2 or 3 weeks before all of the agents become familiar with the new bag tags and where they need to go.

Also, as an added benefit, SHARES does not display a departure gate number on customer boarding passes. SABRE had that functionality, and it was easy to direct customers to the correct area for their departure. Now, it takes an extra 30 seconds or so to actually look up the gate number in SHARES to direct the customer to their departure gate.

Maybe, Tempe IT will come up with fixes for both of these, but it is doubtful given their recent track record.

The folks who work on the ramp tell me that due to this it now takes 30 min or so to off load a flight then they have to figure out the zones & gates as to who is taking what. As a result many flights have departed before the transfer can be made.

There was a huge red duffle bag left at podium B13 this morning. No one claimed it so the police came with dogs, sniffed around, and took the bag downstairs. The owner came looking for her bag twenty minutes later and the agent said that it was in lost and found. This girl said,"What? I just went to get some food; here, watch my salad, I'll be right back"! Later she boards the flight without the bag and we asked her, "So, where's your bag"? She said, "I couldn't wait any longer, I don't really need it anyway, so I'm leaving it". :blink: So, some people just don't care where their luggage ends up.