Why Did They Come Back?

lindy

Advanced
Sep 11, 2002
In another thread, Pitbull wrote the following statement:

"Our f/as are not surviving at all and are extremely depressed in Mid-Atlantic. They are sharing 1 bedroom suties and 7 f/as to a room. If they quit, not even unemployment will be available to them. They didn't know what to expect when they signed on...and never expected what they got."

How can she say this? On the home page of the US Airways AFA website, there is an entire section devoted to pay and work rules associcated with Mid-Atlantic. Everybody knew Mid-Atlantic was based on the Eagle contract. In the January 15, 2004 Pit E-Line, the Pit President goes into great detail as to the workings of Mid-Atlantic.

If this information was so readily available, then why did these F/A's return to work for MAA? I will go even further and ask, why did anyone return to to work for MAA? Everybody knew the rates of pay, from pilot to mechanic, were going to be based on Eagle wages or something similiar. Why subject themselves to living conditions such as described by PitBull? Why work for poverty wages and benefits?

Maybe it is because there are no well paying jobs to be found on the outside. On October 12, 2003, Colby wrote that he had applied at CHQ, PSA, Mesa, and other airlnes and no one is hiring. Is this the same fate that was encountered by many of our furloughees? Where are those great paying jobs that CAV, DELLDUE, et.al., speak of, whereby mechanics can take their skills to other industries? If they are so readily available, then why did one mechanic return to work for MAA?

Based on the predictions of pundits who reside on this board, the future of US Airways is circumspect at best. Why would anyone jump onboard a seeking ship? Is it because the jobs available are the best that can be found? Is it because these people see a possibility of a better life should US Airways survive?

Happy Easter everyone...

Lindy

lindy said:
Maybe it is because there are no well paying jobs to be found on the outside. On October 12, 2003, Colby wrote that he had applied at CHQ, PSA, Mesa, and other airlnes and no one is hiring. Is this the same fate that was encountered by many of our furloughees? Where are those great paying jobs that CAV, DELLDUE, et.al., speak of, whereby mechanics can take their skills to other industries? If they are so readily available, then why did one mechanic return to work for MAA?
Since you brought me into your company propaganda I will answer your slanted question.

I personally know the mechanics who work at the new airline, know them well. There are a total of three so far and they are to hire more. These guys lack experience, they are NEW A&P guys; I know, I was there when they received their licenses. This is why they are there. Personally I have been offered several opportunities because I have more than one skill, so don't tell me this new and sad excuse for an airline job is the only game in town because you don't know what you're talking about! Also, please explain to me why the mechanics who were just furloughed, why not one single one applied for this new airline job? I'll answer that, they can do better.

I will answer that. If I were to receive a severance package as well as unemployment, I would take a break and explore other options. That is what many people did. However, when the severance was spent and the unemployment was exhausted, people were faced with real life choices. Where could they find a job that paid above minimum wage and included benefits? How many of your mechanic friends are going to be faced with this reality in the coming months when the severance/unemployment is gone?

Once again, tell me where the jobs are, especially in Pit/PHL? Where will the jobs be if this airline ceases to exist?

I, too, have been offered and am in the process of exploring other options. Much like you, CAV, I will make my move when it is in the best interest of me and my family.

Lindy

I know a parts man at a local dealership at my location, who made in excess of $100,000 the year before last. The worst sales reps in my area average $40,000 in my area last year. My center manager is averaging $900 per week this year in commission.

Stop with the fear tactics. There are good jobs out there. You may have to change fields or get more training, but they are there.

I would like to comment, that i personally was furloughed, and during my time away from the airline industry,I had 3 job offers within a month of leaving. I worked in another industry for nine months. During that peroid i was content, but missed the airline industry.I actually turned down my first recall because i was so happy at my new job. However, my second chance at recall, i came back, because i missed my fellow workers, and i LOVE my job at U.

I have confidence, should i be furloughed again, i will find another job.. Actually my job i held durig furlough has told me i could have my job, if i want it back.... I tell my personal story, to let people know that there is life after U should that occur. i am proof.

Lindy,

We all will explore our options in the best interest of our families. You are NOT unique.

Bad jobs you can find anywhere in the country. If mangement gets their way to turn these jobs into bad jobs, JUST LIKE MAA, folks will have no choice but to bail. There are some that will stay regardless, BUT THE MAJORITY WILL LEAVE. So far, in your mad desperation to post...you have made no point. We are all aware of what you speak. You present no epiphany for anyone.

Just like managment is bailing, so will the rank and file. And if the doors should shut, we shut it down TOGETHER!

PS: Please post here what information you cite that the PIT Pres wrote out regarding Mid-Atlantic in such great details. Since I assist local 40, I believe I would know!!!

With regard to the Mid-Atlantic wonderful Airways, the PIT Pres had to talk them into not quiting. If there are no improvements or movement made the week of April 19 when the Committee convenes with management, many will quit! They have no choice. AND A NEWSLETTER WILL GO OUT ON THE PIT E-line exactly how deplorable it is to let the furloughees know. Then the media will know.

Happy Easter!

Personally, I will go back. Why? Because I've been doing this stupid airline thing for about eight years now. I've worked for a few airlines, paid to move all over the country several times, learned and relearned exactly how each carrier wants me to look act and talk, lived in crashpads with fourteen people, done three leg commutes to get to work, bought uniforms, passed probation, suffered through weeks and weeks of training unpaid, I've had bases close, been displaced, been furloughed. Its all part of the job, right?

Being furloughed I've had the time to settle down and have a somewhat stable life for the first time since high school. This year, I was able to attend all of my significant other's work events for the first time. We were able to spend holidays with our families instead of me calling from a hotel room in Chatanooga. I was able to be home every night and travel on, shock, weekends, when people are actually free to hang out.

I'm over the commuting, and if I have to learn how to use a fire extinguisher one more time I'm going to go apes**t. I simply do not have the interest to start over again right now, and if I did it wouldnt be for a Southwest or a charter or whatever- that flying just doesnt interest me. I've done commuter, and while six legs a day on a noisy prop was exciting and fun when I was 18 I'd rather stab myself in the face than do that again. If Continental or one of the other majors were hiring I'd surely be interested but, call me snob, I'm not disrupting my life unless its worth it. I've started over too many times. As long as the the blue shamu is afloat I'm hanging onto that seniority- who knows what might happen. Many US F/As have been turned down by other airlines, particularly the ones that fly as US Airways Express. Nothing like helping someone out, right?

I live in one of the US hubs. I'm sure there will eventualy be an MAA base here and even if there isnt thats fine, its drivable in an emergency. I should be pretty senior in the long run and hold a line, which will hopefully give me the time to do the other things I need to do (school, another job). I miss flying and the people I worked with. This will be like returning to work without having to worry about anyone with more than five years seniority, junior and down to earth pilots, and a nice plane.

The contract sucks. We all know that. Its an insult to the junior flight attendants to go from one of the best contracts in the industry (US pre 9-11) to the absolute WORST. Why couldnt we have had Comair's contract? We're already allowing them to put a mainline plane on Express, at least give us the best Express contract. How come a new hire Piedmont F/A makes more than me to fly the Dash 8 than I will to work on the 70 seater, when I've been with the company for four years and have flown international and domestic? Its extremely insulting. It was also agreed to, which is even sadder, and like the pilots, those who would be working there were not around to vote.

In another thread I detailed many reasons people will not go. But not going just to teach them a lesson doesnt achieve anything. They dont want us to come so they can hire new people that will work for $12. Well, sorry Dave, you promised me a job over two years ago and I havent forgotten. Things are more likely to change if we have mainliners there than a bunch of new folks. The union has been frank in sharing the information they've had throughout the process- often they were not given very much. They are going to bat for us, particulary on the medical issue which is of utmost importance.

As for our former peers at mainline, dont be hating on us because we choose to go back. You chose the contract for us. Hopefully we can all work together (along with our AFA brothers and sisters at the W/Os) to get all of the flying back to US Airways Group flight attendants and set standards to where they cannot pit one F/A against the other because of cost.

It would be nice to hear someone's opinion on this topic who actually is now flying @ MidAtlantic rather than those of us who like to sit here and speculate on how these people really feel about the jobs they have there. Unfortunatly for those of us who would like to keep flying there really isn't many other options out there. Let's face it... Start over @ another regional or LLC as a F/A makeing between $14.00- and $20.00 and hr on the bottom of the reserve pile only to max out between $23.00 - $30.00 a flight hr with pretty much the same crappy scheduling you find @ every other airline..... or go to MidAtlantic and if you had some type of sienority maybe start out around $19.00 a flight HR and have some kind of stability as to knowing where your base is and what kind of sienority you hold. I realize that no Health Benefits suck... and hopefully that will be corrected some way... but COBRA isn't worth jack either. Don't get me wrong.. I'm no MidAtlantic raa raa kind of person, and I think it's a sad state the industry is in now, but unfortunatly that's life. You are only worth what the marketplace deems your worth. And unfortunatly Regional airlines like MidAtlantic aren't going to be fun and pay and benefits are probably gonna suck... Hopefully one day that'll change.. but I doubt it. And Majors are beginning more and more to come down to the LLC's Wages and work rules. That's just the state we are in. Next thing you know they approve more foriegn ownership of air carriers here in the US and with an open skys agreement... we'll all be outsourced and you find the exact same people you find working cruise ships taking our jobs and working for pennies.

I would really like to hear someone who works for Midatlantic tell us what they have to say... just curious what their story might be from the horse's mouth.

jbragg476 said:
It would be nice to hear someone's opinion on this topic who actually is now flying @ MidAtlantic rather than those of us who like to sit here and speculate on how these people really feel about the jobs they have there.....I would really like to hear someone who works for Midatlantic tell us what they have to say... just curious what their story might be from the horse's mouth.
I can tell you this..I have had contact with almost all of the Flight Attendants at MAA. It is just like mainline....some hate it, some love it. You will have that anywhere. Pitbull would like to have you think that everyone hates it......that is not the case. There was a meeting with some of the Flight Attendants to "revolt" against MAA. Many refused to go as they had no beef with MAA. It was posted somewhere in this thread that mainline voted for this contract.
YES, WE VOTED FOR THIS!! THE AFA SIGNED ON TO THIS CONTRACT.
Now, all of a sudden....wait, I didn't mean that part..only this part.
Don't get me wrong, things are a little rocky right now, but it is not as bad as it is being made out to be. These boards are famous for exploiting the worst possible view. Give it a chance will ya!!

There are approx 50 f/as on MAA presently active.

The MAA Negotiating Committee will meet the week of April 19. This will be the 7th time they met with managment to discuss "flow through" and also contract language.

The Committee will be active on making improvments to some of the language that was already ratified. The PIT Pres met with the f/as at Mid Atlantic last week in a hotel room. She is also 1 of 4 members on the MAA Negotiating Committee. They will request that one of the newly appointed f/as who is the MAA Rep be present at part of the negotiations to observe.

AFA will try to make improvements for the MAA f/as who are sacrificing much more than any f/a at mainline. We will address many of the "human condition" issues with managment that must improve. If you haven't signed up for the PIT e-line, please do so. Also indicate that you are furloughed so that you can be included in the MAA E-line as well even though you are furloughed. Use you payroll number of Mainline to sign on. www.afausairways.org than click on "Pittsburgh" The PIT Pres. checks the 1 Computer that houses the E-line addresses every day for e-mails and for new "sign-ups".

Keep the faith, ;)

MDA does not have a contract yet, it is still being negotiated and the company agreed to adhere to American Eagle terms till an agreement is reached and US has not honored the AE language, go figure!

Twice baked,

PITbull is exaggerating what part? I didn't speak to everyone who is flying, and neither have you cause they won't go to you, Twice. They perceive you to be different than they.

I just spoke with you. You did not even elude to what you cite above. A "revolt"?

Since when are the MAA f/as revolting? Do you know of what you speak of, or are you trying to piss me off?

Do not come on these boards and play down the problems. It only "dismisses" these f/as who are working these flights.

Regardless, you are not working the flights from your perch, nor am I. Many of the MAA f/as are afraid to speak. YOU KNOW THIS TO BE A FACT!.

PS: Rest assured that MAA management's medical will change. They will not be able to have the "mainline" medicall PPO. It will be MAA option #1 80/20 at the rates of the rest of MAA employees. AFA will make sure that Jerry changes that as he said he would. So, for all the MAA management, don't think you will have different medical. YOU WILL PAY THE RATES AS THE REST OF THE EMPLOYEES WITH THEIR COVERAGES!

I just spoke with an MAA F/A. They have sat OPR but not gotten a trip yet. The general consensus is that the people (F/As, pilots, supervisors, instructors) have been terrific. This person started with Express and said the plane is great, actually working it, and the way the trips are structured are more like working a mainline flight than a traditional Express one.

However, the work rules and reserve seem to be made up as they go along. No one seems to have any definitive answers for anything and theres an atmosphere of confusion. There's already some F/As that are starting to see just how little they are going to be paid for this and that they have no medical. How come PSA new hires have medical when they are hired but US F/As returning to work after 5 years have to wait six months?

There is anticipation about the 19th, who knows what will happen if the company doesnt start treating these people- who have sacrificed more than any F/A on the property- like human beings.

There you go again!! Anytime I don't see with your eyes, I am different!!!
I am just pointing out that not everyone is pissed off. Period!!! Things aren't great, I know that, you know that, and everyone else on here knows that. I think maybe you and I both should start taking some lessons from Light Years. He/she seems to be able to find the good somewhere in this equation. There is some out there for someone. Let them have it if it makes them feel better.
You ask why I don't come on the boards anymore. This is the exact reason why.
You feel alot better when you stay away from here...trust me. You know I would do anything I could to help the flight attendants out within reason. Bashing every aspect against the company is not within reason. I learn to pick my battles. I have had many and probably will continue to.

Latest posts