Why is the Caribbean profitable?

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
[blockquote]
It is nice to know that US AIRWAYS said the Carribbean is profitable. Is it because of the ticket price?
Or are we just more competitive with these routes with the US AIRWAYS Vacations marketing?
[/blockquote]

Ticket price = Revenue. High ticket price = high yield. High yield = profit.

And, don't forget cargo. Lots of $$$ to be made there.

It is nice to know that US AIRWAYS said the Carribbean is profitable. Is it because of the ticket price?
Or are we just more competitive with these routes with the US AIRWAYS Vacations marketing?

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/28/2003 9:42:32 PM PineyBob wrote:

They are profitable because people want to go there! Who wants to go to Altoona from Trenton NJ LOL. Us airways has the most complete and extensive network to places no one wants to go.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Well I have heard (Chip should be able to confirm this) that the theory is that if no one wants to go there then it stands to reason that everyone already there wants to leave. (Its gonna be a mad rush when they are enlightened.)

US Air just has to communicate to the people of those “undesirableâ€￾ towns, just how bad it really sucks in their hometown.

B. Ben Baldanza is the pefect man for the job.

Its really a pretty smart move. Businesses are cutting back on travel, replacing it with such things as videoconferencing, faxes, etc. Leisure destinations are the BEST place to be in the future. You can't replace a vacation with a teleconference. Until they come up with a way to take a "virtual" vacation that is.

It use to be, I doubt if it will be for much longer, since marketing starting messing with fares. Average ticket roundtrip use to be six hundred dollars, now average ticket is three fifty. Reissue tickets daily with refund due, due to lower fare. Family of four had purchased tickets for four hundred and thirty dollars, new fare two hundred and fourteen roundtrip. This will turn into a Florida market, if this continues. Very long distance to travel for one hundred and seven dollars each way. also look at how many z tickets are on each flight, average half of aircraft.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/1/2003 12:32:10 AM PineyBob wrote:

["That boy's 'bout as sharp as a bowling ball"
Foghorn Leghorn

Bonus points if you can tell me what famous politician is Foghorn's voice derived from. HINT: he was from a state that figures heavily in US's survival
----------------
[/blockquote]
Bob,

I believe Foghorn Leghorn was modeled after a fictional radio drama charecter from the 1940's from the "Fred Allen Show." The character was a blowhard known as Senator Claghorn.

I know that Claghorn was from the south, but from which state, I am a bit vague. It weren't mah home state of The Great State of Texas though. I'm pretty sure of that.

I'm gonna guess North Carolina though, from the great big fat hint you dropped.

I figure it ain't Florida cuz U seems to have wandered off from around there......

Could be Alabama though, chosen home of Bronner (is he the same one who makes the shampoo?)....

-Airlineorphan

Shoot, Heflin was going to be my guess. But, now that I think of it, I might have the piece of information because I read it on a bulliten board somewhere.... probably, here.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/1/2003 12:55:14 PM PineyBob wrote:

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/1/2003 12:41:43 PM RowUnderDCA wrote:

Shoot, Heflin was going to be my guess. But, now that I think of it, I might have the piece of information because I read it on a bulliten board somewhere.... probably, here.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Don't worry the prize was a slightly used cockroach pin.

----------------
[/blockquote]

And I'm only silver preferred! But I got my package today. I'm very grateful. And I am also one of those guys that just prefers US. Albeit, with much less experience to go on.

And I definitely want to go to the Caribbean on my miles... or more likely- buy a ticket and upgrade.

Just a little note, the flights were just as full, with six hundred dollars fares, as they are with two hundred dollar fares....Dave I hope your watching....someone is making a bad mistake.......

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/1/2003 9:18:04 PM hopethingswillbeok wrote:

Just a little note, the flights were just as full, with six hundred dollars fares, as they are with two hundred dollar fares....Dave I hope your watching....someone is making a bad mistake.......
----------------
[/blockquote]

And that someone is probably none other than Baldenza!

[blockquote]
----------------
On 2/28/2003 9:42:32 PM PineyBob wrote:

Us airways has the most complete and extensive network to places no one wants to go.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Bob,
LMAO... You couldnt have put it any better.
Thanks for the chuckle, I needed it.

Tug

Didn't know that "white stuff" melted. You can certainly find a lot of it in places like Jamaica and Colombia...

As to the strategy, there is a lot of demand for Caribbean travel and folks are willing to pay to party.

Given that the Caribbean is the warm vacation choice for the east coast and northeast (something that US covers well), coverage to the Caribbean is a natural decision.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/1/2003 6:56:44 AM hopethingswillbeok wrote:

... also look at how many z tickets are on each flight, average half of aircraft.
----------------
[/blockquote]

Those award tickets were bought and paid for with revenue flights. It takes at least 30,000 miles to get from NA to the Caribbean -- the average customer needs at least 10 revenue tickets to earn enough miles to get there and back. (It would be interesting to know the breakdown between standard awards and premium awards too...)

If you didn't have an outlet like this for those miles the marketing value of the FF program would be dramatically reduced. The chances are pretty good that you're looking at an outlet that is disproportionately used by your frequent business fliers -- the ones who paid full fares. Don't begrudge them those awards -- they paid richly for them flying on $2.00/mile routes.