Why People "whine"

Dea Certe

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
I've read some of the posts on this board about how people "whine" about their jobs and how they should just give it up and move on. I don't agree.

Seems to me, when people take the time to "whine" it's because they actually care about the job and how it's going. The airline industry is one place where people really need to care passionately about the product. It's a safety and service sensitive place.

I think this has been what's wrong with our revolving door management teams. They don't care as much as we do about our product. They seem to be all about short-term solutions and crisis management; with many of the crisises generated from within. The problems don't get fixed, they just get glossed over and then kicked to the next team.

Those of us who care about our service and safety are going to scream when we think it's being compromised by the band-aid approach used by our management.

For instance, most of us really hate it that our airplanes are filthy. It's embarrassing. And there's little I can do about that during my efforts at "tidying" between flights. We hate it that we have so little to offer inflight: few pillows and blankets, almost no food and in some cases, darn few beverages or ice because of round-trip catering that didn't happen. It didn't happen because of under-staffing, not because people don't care.

Customer Service Agents hate it that they can't provide a level of service they are proud of because they are so understaffed. And no one in management listens to them!

Our soon-to-be outsourced RES people have been so understaffed and over-whelmed they haven't the time to really help our customers. Here they are, up to their ears in unanswered calls and yet, the company finds them easily dispensed with and will attempt to replace them with cheap labor. Labor that most likely won't really be able to care about finding the best solutions to the complicated problems our customers have at times. I believe this bit of outsourcing is really going to bite us in the butt.

When our mechanics are running from plane to plane with a fist-full of MEL stickers, do you think that makes them happy? Of course not! Most of them are deeply committed to care of our aircraft. And that's what we need, dedicated, loyal professionals who want the time to do their jobs the way they were trained. Yes, they are frustrated because they care!

Frankly, I don't want to work with people who don't care about our product and see it as "just a job." They are dangerous to both safety and service. If our service continues to decline, we won't have "jobs" sooner rather than later.

Our BOD really needs to be called into account here. Why they aren't "whining" and screaming about how our operation is in a nose-dive worries me.

If the problems were fixed, I doubt there would be much whining. Be grateful we have employees who care enough to speak out and customers who let our management know what the customers need to stay our customers.

Dea

PS: UVN, I'm fine and thanks for the note.

Whining?...or not?

Depends on who's ox is getting gored.

People voicing exception to a situation affecting them = People voicing exception to them

To comfortable ( unaffected ) observers observing same...( mix contempt in ) = Whining

Ever notice how either the most sedentary blobs or pencil necked dorks are amongst the most rabid and kibbitzing of spectator sports fans, frothing at the mouth as they lambaste players for their actions or compensation issues....when they themselves wouldn't last 37 seconds bodily intact, in the action themselves?

It's all just conversation to them.

Oh, very eloquent post Dea.

Dea,

As in many things in life, there are two perspectives here.

There are those who "whine" because they genuinely care about the customers and the company for whom they have worked for years.

And then there are those who "whine" because they're losing out in the "me me me" game.

We see both types around here.

UVN, I never thought of you as a whiner. More of a...um...pot stirrer. Yeah, that's it.

mweiss said:
UVN, I never thought of you as a whiner. More of a...um...pot stirrer. Yeah, that's it.
[post="252416"][/post]​

You are right doesn't a whiner usually feel sorry for himself and aren't they usually bitter and depressed. That is not me. Thank you I been called worse..like a troll?

But I rather be known as a thought stirrer. You know look at ever angle good or bad

No ... thats not me. He got it off his chest though, didn't he? :lol: IM pulling for Lakefield. We just need to make it till June.

My avstar has nothing to do with how I feel about the company or mgt, I just didn't want mine to fly the same way as 320's.

Dea Certe said:
We hate it that we have so little to offer inflight: few pillows
[post="252325"][/post]​

NW now pulled pillows domestically both coach & FC, except redeyes "from" the west coast, and they were following AA lead!

Latest posts

Back