Why The 407 Is The Superior Aircraft

I thought the altitude record for landing was 24000' on Everest when the B2 rescued a couple climbers??
Maybe I'm behind in the news!!!!

jetbox...you're so far behind, you think you're in first. :D

I'll try and locate the article about Eurocopters feat a short while back, and it can be compared to the 407's for those who want to nitpick.

Sorry Magseal, I don't try to stay current in those subjects.

At any rate, it would be nice get some official data on all these records. It would make for some interesting reading but also might prove/disprove some urban myths. What about the story of the Lama that flew up to 40000 feet for an altitude record and then set another record for highest autorotation when the engine quit for lack of air!!
Is that one true or is a load of crap???

B) Yep ....true it is. There is a published article direct from the test pilot that broke the altitude record.I'll see if I can locate it for this thread as it is some very interesting reading. The record prior to the Lama was held by an S64 at 36,000 ft. Aerospatialle was trying to break it as an worldwide advertising gimmick to show the Lama's performance capabilities. As I understand the altitude record was broken last year on a third attempt by a B3, unsure of the exact number, But I believe it is over 42,000 ft.....Anyone know? :huh:

Jetbox ------that's 41,000' on July 21, 1972 and the record still stands. I had a French engineer eons ago that had been involved, amongst many others, in that record. His stories of what they had to go through in order to satisfy the pilot involved are hilarious....but VERY understandable on the pilot's part. :lol:

:eek: New altitude record is...42,500 ft set March 23, 2002 by a B3 in South Africa, for those that are interested :wacko:

Sorry guys, I've been too busy this week to search for the article about the B3 feat, but don't despair...one day I hope all the crisis' at work will cease and I'll be able to help dispell some rumours and/or raise the bar higher.
Something in the back of my head is making me think there is something vastly different and can separate the Bell/Euro battle on this.

This doesn't show which is the superior helicopter, it's just a press release about Bell's 407 testing in the Himilayas....

Bell Press Release

Adding to its already impressive list of accomplishments on July 1 2004, Bell 407 flown by Bell Senior Experimental Test Pilot, Eric Emblin, and Flight Test Engineer, Ed Lambert, the aircraft landed on Tillcho Peak in the Mustang area of northern Nepal Himalayan mountain range at an altitude of 22,180 feet Hp (24,971 feet Hd). This remarkable flight completed a weeks worth of demonstrations and testing, which included low speed controllability flights, IGE/OGE hover checks, and general performance evaluations at altitudes in excess of 18,500 feet.