Basic Info for those who are considering the F/A Recall

jbragg476

Advanced
Feb 27, 2004
I know many people who have recieved the letter informing them they they must choose to return with base options (mainly LGA, DCA, and BOS), so I wanted to throw out some basic info that may be helpful for those returning.

First off, I would not mark down that you are resigning immediatly. Instead choose a base assignment and wait to see if you are contacted to go to training. Maybe you will be, maybe you won't, but it will at least bide your time and give you a few extra weeks to think about if you really want to come back or not. If in the end you don't show up, then you aren't losing anything- and you may be giving others a few more weeks for them to decide what they want their fate to be.

Check with people who are still here and ask them to look where you would be in seinority at the different bases. For example, I have a friend who if she came back today and were the only one to accept recall, she would have 27 junior to her in BOS, 12 in LGA, and about 5 in DCA. That may help you make a base desission. It is amazing how just say 10 people junior to you can make the difference in regards to being Quick-called.

If you still aren't sure if you are ready to come back and basically don't have anything to do, I would encourage you to give it a try. Out of base? Not gonna take that crappy 4 day, taking a NO Contact? Tried of the quick call. What's the worse they gonna do to you? Fire you??? You would have quit already had you checked the box "resignation" on your letter - and you may have always questioned, what if?

(that being said, bonus points to show up to training for the 1st day, hang out for a bit, then get up in the middle of class and say "this place hasnt changed" and walk out)

Having said all of that, let me really clue you in on the important matters:

PAY: Most were cut at about their 3rd yr on the payscale. Currently if you are to come back to work, at the 3rd year level you will be making $21.51.

Please do the math. $21.51 x 73 guarantee = $1570.23.

No lets not even bother with per diem or extra trips worked on days off... if you can get them, because taxes and insurance will just eat that up.

2nd yr- $20.23
1st yr- $19.13

You'll probably get 7 days vacation for the year. Big whoop.

And the biggie: YOU WILL BE ON RESERVE AGAIN. IT IS NOT THE SAME SYSTEM AS WHAT YOU LEFT!!!

Biggest thing I can say is know your contract, specifically Section 11. And you will need a computer! (to keep up on your call status) For some, they can play the game... you will learn by being screwed once.

So there you have it..... Good luck to all. Remember, if you want to try it, what are you gonna lose. I would not relocate for this job, nor would I quit a good job making over 30,000 if you have it. If you really just want to fly, FIND ANOTHER AIRLINE if you already haven't. You will be better in the long run.

Good Luck, God Bless.

Very informative post.

My roommate just opened her mail and was awarded the recall. She felt that she would give it a try, one last time, just like you said.

Now that they are in assign mode, people are panicking. Spoke with a friend who is literally sweating over what to do. I think the letters are due on Monday and she is still thining the whole thing through, putting it off until the last minute. She doesn't want to check the "resign' box but is stil leary about the new reserve system and doesn't know how workable it is. BTW, can you even commute as a reserve anymore?

Very informative post.

My roommate just opened her mail and was awarded the recall. She felt that she would give it a try, one last time, just like you said.

Now that they are in assign mode, people are panicking. Spoke with a friend who is literally sweating over what to do. I think the letters are due on Monday and she is still thining the whole thing through, putting it off until the last minute. She doesn't want to check the "resign' box but is stil leary about the new reserve system and doesn't know how workable it is. BTW, can you even commute as a reserve anymore?

I'm making 24.57 an hour and for Sept. I made $1000 and for Oct. and Nov. I made $1100. For December I made a little over $1300.

Yes, you can commute but you won't have a life.

Bottom line, this place sucks!

Why is your friend sweating??????

There are other airlines out there. US Airways is not the only one. In fact, it IS THE WORST one to work for as far as getting off of reserve within the next 10 years.

If your friend has another job...tell her to stay with it. If she wants to be a flight attendant...go to another airline.

Not to sound harsh, but you people with 2000 -2001 seniority (that were furloughed) have NO TIME VESTED in this company.

You were furloughed as a new hire and will return as a new hire!!!

I know that may sound mean, but your 7-8 years (on paper) means absolutely NOTHING!!!!!

Do yourselves a huge favor and RESIGN and go to a real airline!!!!

I am suprised most haven't already done that!!!!

Not to sound harsh, but you people with 2000 -2001 seniority (that were furloughed) have NO TIME VESTED in this company.

You were furloughed as a new hire and will return as a new hire!!!

I know that may sound mean, but your 7-8 years (on paper) means absolutely NOTHING!!!!!

:blink:

As compared to your 9 years???

A good rule of thumb here is that 10 years is equivalent to 1 year at another carrier, and 20 is equivalent to 5 at another carrier. Seniority here is meaningless unless we merge with another carrier. If that doesn't happen, you'll lose the whole 'furlough' generation of 7-8 years underneath you... no point in hanging out any longer awaiting A scale in your 10th or 11th year (which is nothing anyway), and no growth. You guys can have all that...

:blink:

As compared to your 9 years???

A good rule of thumb here is that 10 years is equivalent to 1 year at another carrier, and 20 is equivalent to 5 at another carrier. Seniority here is meaningless unless we merge with another carrier. If that doesn't happen, you'll lose the whole 'furlough' generation of 7-8 years underneath you... no point in hanging out any longer awaiting A scale in your 10th or 11th year (which is nothing anyway), and no growth. You guys can have all that...

I said "that were furloughed"!!!! I WAS NEVER FURLOUGHED!!! I continued to accrue everything......

I have time vested, I am on "A" scale, I have over 300 hours in my sick bank, etc......

My point WAS..coming back after only being here a year or two before furlough and having NO PAY, NO VACATION, NO SICK TIME AND NO SENIORITY.... you may as well go to an airline and start off that way!!!!

Put the claws away EMBFA!!! :up:

No offense meant, I thought you said your 7-8 years means nothing for seniority, which is true. If you equate a 7 year hire to a new hire, then a 10 year is only a three year F/A. A scale or not, still a bottom reserve... I actually feel worse for that group because they are junior but have something to lose. People recalled over the last three years are starting to leave because they have nothing to lose, and you'll see more of that depending on the direction of the company in the next year... which will leave that same group where they have always been, at the bottom.

If recalled flight attendants don't get the point by now.......

Go to a real airline if you want to LIVE THE DREAM!!!!

IMPORTANT REMINDER TO INVOLUNTARY FURLOUGHED FLIGHT ATTENDANTS
Accessing The Hub
AFA Local Numbers
Dear Member,

REMINDER TO INVOLUNTARY FURLOUGHED FLIGHT ATTENDANTS

RECALL BID COMPLETED WITH FEWER BIDDERS THAN VACANCIES-
COMPANY BEGINS RECALL ASSIGNMENT MODE

The recent February 15, 2008 Recall bid has closed. The Company received 133 Recall bidders-well short of the 216 vacancies that needed to be filled. As a result of the initial bid the following vacancies still exist:

BOS - 43
DCA - 28
LGA - 12

Pursuant to Section 19 of the Fight Attendant Agreement the Company will now begin filling the 83 vacancies in inverse seniority.

Section 19.G of the agreement states the following:

"A furloughed flight attendant who fails to accept a recall shall remain on furloughed status and said offer of recall shall be extended to the flight attendant next on the seniority list until there are no more junior flight attendants on furlough. A furloughed flight attendant who fails to accept a recall when there are no more junior flight attendants on furlough shall be considered to have resigned from the Company."

There are two groups of Flight Attendants on the Involuntary Furlough list; 1) the bottom 83 Flight Attendants on the Involuntary Furlough list, 2) remaining Flight Attendants senior to the most junior 83 Flight Attendants.

1. The bottom 83 Flight Attendants on the list will receive a letter advising them of the fact they are being assigned a recall and offering base choices pursuant to the above vacancies.

Failure to accept a recall, return the form or list enough base choices will result in your removal from the System Seniority List and your resignation from US Airways. The recall is effective March 2, 2008 and the Recall Form must be received before noon EST January 28, 2008.

The forms may be mailed or faxed to the Company:

US Airways InFlight Planning & Administration
Attn: Rick Carpenter
4000 E. Sky Harbor Blvd.
CH-IFC
Phoenix, AZ 85034

Or, you may fax the form to 480-693-2878

2. Every other Flight Attendant on the Involuntary Furlough list will receive a letter indicating that based on the decisions of the bottom 83 Flight Attendants they may be recalled pursuant to Section 19 of the Flight Attendant Agreement.

Flight Attendants in this group are required to complete the form and return it to the above address or fax number or you will be considered to have resigned from the US Airways. Your form will only be processed if your seniority is reached in inverse order.

Unlike most other carriers, the US Airways Flight Attendant Agreement does not limit the number of years a furloughed Flight Attendant can remain on the System Seniority List while on Involuntary Furlough. Our agreement provides for an indefinite period of time, provided there remains someone junior to a furloughed Flight Attendant on the furlough list. As recalls increase, the list is becoming smaller and the chances are that everyone on the list will at some point be faced with the choice now faced by the bottom 83 Flight Attendants-and depending on their decision those Flight Attendants senior to them.

Allowing furloughed Flight Attendants the ability to pass recall and remain on the System Seniority List as long as there are junior Flight Attendants on the list has been a good thing. Other carriers have simply purged their furlough list as a result of contractual time limits-thus achieving a cost savings by hiring off the street instead of recalling Flight Attendants with seniority and longevity credits.

Assigning recall from the bottom of the list has two effects- it still potentially allows more senior Flight Attendants who don't wish to be recalled the ability to remain on furlough but it also has creates the ability for the more junior Flight Attendant to be recalled to a base of her/his choosing, leaving the more senior Flight Attendant with a potential limited base choice if forced to accept a recall.

Previous recalls at US Airways have been fully subscribed, and the Union has protected the right for those on furlough to pass recall under the condition that a more junior Flight Attendant was on the recall list. The Union has always believed there should be no time limit for an involuntary furloughed Fight Attendant to be removed from the seniority list and separated from the Company-and we have done so contractually.

A recall is really nothing more than a filling of vacancies. Section 18.E (Filling of Vacancies) states the following:

"If a vacancy is posted and no Flight Attendant bids, such vacancy may be filled by the Flight Attendant with the least system seniority or by a new hire Flight Attendant."

The current recall is undersubscribed and therefore is being followed (contractually) by an assigned recall. The recall process will allow for the most junior Flight Attendant on the Involuntary Furlough list to select a base to be recalled to before the next most senior Flight Attendant.

While this may seem unfair to some- it is in accordance with the Flight Attendant Agreement. The more senior Flight Attendants have been afforded the right to pass a recall opportunity and wait for the next recall and then exercise her/his ability to select a base based on seniority.

This recall could potentially create a situation where a more senior Flight Attendant is not going to be able to be awarded the base of her/his choosing because they have passed previous recall opportunities and the recall process is now in inverse assignment mode.

The ability for a furloughed Flight Attendant to pass a recall opportunity and remain on the Seniority List for an indefinite period of time is therefore subject to the ability to do so without being removed from the System Seniority List but with the associated risk.

PLEASE BE AWARE THAT IF YOU DO NOT RETURN THE FORM YOU WILL BE SEPARATED FROM THE COMPANY AND REMOVED FROM THE SENIORITY LIST.

Thank you,

Mike Flores, President
The US Airways Master Executive Council
AFA-CWA

I have a question, just out of curiosity. I took the VF-2, the voluntary furlough in December of 2002, and I saw on the Hub where the Feb 15 recall got as far down the list as June of '01 hire dates. What is the possibility that they'll deplete the list of invol furloughees without getting enough warm bodies back on the property and start asking voluntary folks whether or not they want to come back? I'm an '86 hire and it's my understanding that they recall the VF people in INVERSE seniority, so I think I'd be way, way down the list.

I have a question, just out of curiosity. I took the VF-2, the voluntary furlough in December of 2002, and I saw on the Hub where the Feb 15 recall got as far down the list as June of '01 hire dates. What is the possibility that they'll deplete the list of invol furloughees without getting enough warm bodies back on the property and start asking voluntary folks whether or not they want to come back? I'm an '86 hire and it's my understanding that they recall the VF people in INVERSE seniority, so I think I'd be way, way down the list.

So, what is the question? Is it possible to get recalled soon? Anything is possible.

With a hire date of 1986 I doubt you would be recalled within the year.

That being said, those that were hired from 1995-1999 on voluntary furlough.......I think you better start packing your suitcases. You're coming back soon!!!!

So, what is the question? Is it possible to get recalled soon? Anything is possible.

That being said, those that were hired from 1995-1999 on voluntary furlough.......I think you better start packing your suitcases. You're coming back soon!!!!

That is Correct !!. There are bout 1500 flight attendants on voluntary furlough. The next recall will be those flight attendants that are on Voluntary furlough. IfThey will start at the top go down the list the only difference is that these flight attendants are able to displace flight attendants in the current bases. These FA are guaranteed their original base.

With a hire date of 1986 you are safe. When they start to recall they will start a the top of the VF list and ask if you would like to return. You can pass as so long as there is a flight attendant junior to you on the VF List. Assigning is always is from the bottom up.

With a hire date of 1986 you are safe. When they start to recall they will start a the top of the VF list and ask if you would like to return. You can pass as so long as there is a flight attendant junior to you on the VF List. Assigning is always is from the bottom up.

I am not sure if that is correct!

I thought I read in the contract that VF flight attendant recalls started from the bottom up. I am too tired to look for it right now.