WOs...RJs/Sjs

Light Years

Veteran
Aug 27, 2002
www.usaviation.com
A few questions about the WO's and RJs I'm not clear on. As it stands now...
*Which wholly-owned will be the first to get RJs?
*Will they be divided equally between the 3?
*Will the 3 current WOs operate 70 seaters, if so, who?
*When will MAA start up, with how many planes, and how large to they intend to make it?
*With the new consolidation with the WOs, will they merge or still operate as seperate entities?
*When will the first US Airways (meaning MDA/PS/AL/PI) RJ be delivered?
*Will the company owned RJs all be a standard type like Embraer or will they just get a motley mix of whats avalable?
*Also, are we or have we ever been in discussion with Fairchild Dornier in regard to theit 328JET and larger... seems like we'd be saving them and wed have them all to ourselves if a deal was worked out?

Anyone?

Word is that the WOs will get CRJs and that Mainline will get the new ERJs, 170s etc. WOS have merged their purchasing, human resources, payroll accounting, recruiting, they are still separately run. There are too many union hurdles to combine them, for now. And it keeps the certificates seperate in case of troubles. Dornier is in deep bankruptcy and is looking for a buyer, PSA has trouble getting basic parts.

From airliners.net...around 18 (i think) white tail 328Jets were recently sold and somewhere around another 40 are being requested. Dorkjets would be nice...better than a Shuttle Saab 340 anyday, when they fly. :)

Ive heard good and bad about the 328JETs, but from a customer and crew standpoint they seem like they would leave the ERJ and CRJ in the dust as far as comfort...
dfw79, I'm curious about Shuttle America, are they bad?

Expect additional RJ announcements for MDA and the WO's shortly after bankruptcy emergence, provided the pilot pension issue is resolved.

In addition, there are reports US Airways has found a replacement credit card processor for NPC.

Chip

P.S. The March 9 Airline News Update has been posted at www.chipsplace.com. Once on the home page then click on Rumor Control and Airline News Index.

They've improved since last year when ALG decided to triple the lease rates on the DH8s they were flying. However, they simply took on too much flying for US right away with a new fleet type, the Saab, during a transitional phase. It would not be unusual that locally here in TOL, 2-3 of the 5-6 daily flights would be cancelled due to mx issues...with the rest delayed for the same. We had 2 morning flights a few months back...6am and 630am flights to PIT - which were blessings. All the passengers were usually moved up to the 6am flight and 630 usually went out empty. However, one of the two flights would always end up cancelling or the plane would never have shown up the night before - so it was like, well at least we have one flight that is still running.

Last fall I expressed my concerns to US Airways and Shuttle America about their degrading of service in TOL over the last 24 months (quite pathetic for a carrier #1 in the local market to fall to last place) and received a very honest and frank phone call from Shuttle's CEO. He explained what had gone on and where they were going to take the airline. Things have improved greatly since then, but there are still days where a couple flights could be cancelled out for mx - yesterday they had a Saab parked here nearly all day.

We'll never see the 734s or 733s back in TOL...but it would be nice if they could give us back our ERJs. Ever since they pulled those out, coupled with Shuttle's reliability in the past, their loads have fallen greatly (in TOL) per month. Example: http://toledoexpress.com/news/paxnumbers.htm

FRJs (328 jets) are almost a dead issue in the indusrty with the parent company in bankruptcy. They are more comfortable, but they only have overheads on one side and a very small bag bay. CRJs have good baggage handling, but low ceilings. ERJs have small cabins, small overheads (only on one side), and small bag bays. Besides Bombardier has 80+ CRJs that were lease returns etc. want to bet that U has made a deal with returned DHC-8 leases in combination with new RJ leases?

Would it not be better to go with an all-Embrear fleet if at all possible? Why overcomplicate things... all the differnt Express types are confusing I would think to employees and customers alike. Also, Canadair doesnt make a 30 seat variant which is important for some of our markets.

Ive heard of many pax deciding against US Airways for a trip because its "US Airways Express" which could mean anything from a Beechcraft to an ERJ. Maybe a lav, maybe not, maybe a F/A, maybe not. Maybe prop, maybe jet. Originally MDA was going to fly EMB170s under the Express banner- I doubt a customer would feel as if they were on a "commuter" on that. With RJs doing longer haul and point-to-point flying, isnt the term "Express" kind of silly? It also implies something sub-par, or rushed. I think that as we move to "mainline" (MDA) SJs, RJs, whatever, they should just all be marketed as US Airways- thats what the five airlines that make up US Airways Group are! Non-owned affiliates, like CHQ, MSA etc should fly under a "US Connection" livery, bearing their OWN name on the tail. Anyone else agree, or am I petty?

?? Would it not be better to go with an all-Embrear fleet if at all possible??

None of the wholly owned has Embraers or any RJ's at all for that matter. If MDA wants to use E-170's or whatever they are called, that's fine too. When the wholly owned begin to get jets, yes they should be the same manufacturer. Bombardier!

I know that none of the Wholly Owneds have RJs, I'm talking about on the property all-together- the same reasoning behind an all-Airbus fleet, doesnt it just simplify things for everyone if the regional fleet (or at least MDA, PI, PS, AL) is all Embraer? Why have two 50 seaters in our system? And, as I said above, if we were to eventaully replace all the props, we cant possibly justify all markets with a 50 seat CRJ, the smallest variant they offer. Embraer has a smaller, 37 seat version more suitable for routes previously served by the Dashes, Dorniers, Saabs etc.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/11/2003 5:36:05 PM WO/drone wrote:

FRJs (328 jets) are almost a dead issue in the indusrty with the parent company in bankruptcy. They are more comfortable, but they only have overheads on one side and a very small bag bay. CRJs have good baggage handling, but low ceilings. ERJs have small cabins, small overheads (only on one side), and small bag bays. Besides Bombardier has 80+ CRJs that were lease returns etc. want to bet that U has made a deal with returned DHC-8 leases in combination with new RJ leases?
----------------
[/blockquote]

Don't be so quick to write off the FRJs. the 328jet line is apparently due to start up quite soon.

[blockquote]
----------------
On 3/12/2003 2:31:18 PM Light Years wrote:

I know that none of the Wholly Owneds have RJs, I'm talking about on the property all-together- the same reasoning behind an all-Airbus fleet, doesnt it just simplify things for everyone if the regional fleet (or at least MDA, PI, PS, AL) is all Embraer? Why have two 50 seaters in our system? And, as I said above, if we were to eventaully replace all the props, we cant possibly justify all markets with a 50 seat CRJ, the smallest variant they offer. Embraer has a smaller, 37 seat version more suitable for routes previously served by the Dashes, Dorniers, Saabs etc.
----------------
[/blockquote]

I believe Bomabardier actually offers a 44 seat variant to get around some 50 seat jet scope clauses.

As for fleet commonality, a lot of it depends on what those affiliate carriers are able to get their hands on. It would make for the wholly-owneds to maintain on fleet type, but it is rather meaningless from an affiliate point of view. Delivery positions probably effect things more than anything else. Also financing is an issue. Even with the regionals doing comparatively well in today's market, many are having financing issues with their mainline counterparts struggling to stay in business.

BTW, Delta Connection also has multiple fleet types in the RJ world. Comair, ASA, Skywest have Canadair aircraft, ACA operates the 328Jet, and Chatauqua operates Embraer for Delta.

The ERJ 145 family are real trouble prone aircraft. I have seen them in for ADs that took months and they only had 400 hours on them, they are built off the 135 fuselage and they are a throw away plane. The ERJ 170 family is a whole new design, looking better so far. Besides and aircraft not built in North America has a much larger cost associated with parts and support. Airbus and Embraer do not issue generic repairs, Dornier jets are under powered and have been prone to structure problems. A mixed fleet makes sense in the long term incase of major problems. Case in point, all 737s will have to have the rudder control system replaced soon under an AD. AA personell have stated that the Airbus is great, for about 4-5 years them they are an electrical nightmare, heck Lufhansa is only buying them to satisfy the EU they would rather have Boeings. I could not agree more that the express logo should go away, the regionals fly over 90% of all US routes anyway. The only prop that I have heard pax complain about were the Beechs and the old Shorts Bros. aircraft. Heck the Dash-8 has more room inside than any other current small jet. Luck to everyone!!!
1.gif']

((BTW, Delta Connection also has multiple fleet types in the RJ world. Comair, ASA, Skywest have Canadair aircraft, ACA operates the 328Jet, and Chatauqua operates Embraer for Delta.))

Like I said before, you are comparing 5 separate companies' equipment to each other. Only Comair and ASA need to be common because only they are owned by Delta.The others are contractors and can run whatever they wish......

Latest posts