Wow..Non-Rev trip review

Why were those Express crews so happy?

Hmmm.

They took our airplanes but didnt offer the affected mainline employees a job. They got a windfall of 30 airplanes (a jumbo jet to the RJ crowd) and now are getting 30 more. They recieve more planes each month and hire like gangbusters, can hardly fill all the available positions. Seniority skyrockets, they have holidays and weekends off, pick where and when they fly. Fly only on a small but fabulous aircraft.

Us? Hmm. Lose our job so above can fly our planes. Called back to $1 more than what we started at almost a decade ago, with no credit for two years of work. Slavery reserve system, ill treatment from scheduling and co-workers. 7 years is a new hire, 20 years a reserve. Still thousands furloughed while every other major hires. Stagnant, no movement but company is always short. Thats us "Juniors". For all of us... filthy work conditions as you so eloquently described. Trashy low class passengers as you described. No tools to do our job. Pathetic product when even able to provide one, embarrassing company. No new contract in sight after merger of two years ago. Pension gone. Minimum overnights, multiple legs on most trips. They have worked here for a hundred years and this is what they get.

Sorry they weren't chirpy.

I think they call this OUTSOURCING!!

Why were those Express crews so happy?

Hmmm.

They took our airplanes but didnt offer the affected mainline employees a job. They got a windfall of 30 airplanes (a jumbo jet to the RJ crowd) and now are getting 30 more. They recieve more planes each month and hire like gangbusters, can hardly fill all the available positions. Seniority skyrockets, they have holidays and weekends off, pick where and when they fly. Fly only on a small but fabulous aircraft.

Us? Hmm. Lose our job so above can fly our planes. Called back to $1 more than what we started at almost a decade ago, with no credit for two years of work. Slavery reserve system, ill treatment from scheduling and co-workers. 7 years is a new hire, 20 years a reserve. Still thousands furloughed while every other major hires. Stagnant, no movement but company is always short. Thats us "Juniors". For all of us... filthy work conditions as you so eloquently described. Trashy low class passengers as you described. No tools to do our job. Pathetic product when even able to provide one, embarrassing company. No new contract in sight after merger of two years ago. Pension gone. Minimum overnights, multiple legs on most trips. They have worked here for a hundred years and this is what they get.

Sorry they weren't chirpy.

I empathize with the plight of the mainline folks, but that doesn't excuse poor behavior. If the job sucks that much, then quit.

I've had jobs worse than that -- food service paying minimum wage with no overtime and no benefits (McD's is actually better than that), night shift at a convenience store for min wage + $1.50 only to get robbed twice in six months, and inventory service where some weeks are 110 hours and some are 5 or 10.

With such unreliable and persistently low income, I didn't work there very long. I just don't understand why US employees are sticking around forever when it's obvious it will never get better, not to mention other airlines (and most industries) are hiring.

I will say that US employees aren't the worst; they're actually pretty nice all things considered, but there's just too many that are not happy and make the customer join them in their misery, and they need to go.

I don't think the poster described poor behavior, he simply said they were quick (efficient?) and not talkative (unobtrusive?). They just weren't jolly. No crime in just going through the motions.

Now a company creates magic by by being creative, treating employees as team members, providing incentives, fostering a positive environment, utilizing its own workforce, providing appropriate tools to accomplish tasks, and having and developing a clear culture, goal, and product- the three work off each other in that order.

In other words, the total opposite of US Airways where work is a battlefield.

I don't think the poster described poor behavior, he simply said they were quick (efficient?) and not talkative (unobtrusive?). They just weren't jolly. No crime in just going through the motions.

Now a company creates magic by by being creative, treating employees as team members, providing incentives, fostering a positive environment, utilizing its own workforce, providing appropriate tools to accomplish tasks, and having and developing a clear culture, goal, and product- the three work off each other in that order.

In other words, the total opposite of US Airways where work is a battlefield.
Uhh, I work the Shuttle all the time...Service is always Fast, duh...it's a short flight. None of the regular Shuttle Customers seem to mind this.

Uhh, I work the Shuttle all the time...Service is always Fast, duh...it's a short flight. None of the regular Shuttle Customers seem to mind this.

There is a difference between service that is quick and courteous and service that is just quick. No offense meant by it and now that I’ve had all day to think about it – it wasn’t any different than any other time I was served by some FA that probably has 50 years of service in. Yeah, DCA to BOS isn’t a long flight, but it could be made pleasant by a smile and a “hello†instead of a scour and “whatâ€. I just honestly feel that if the job makes you so unhappy that passengers and other employee’s notice it, perhaps it’s past time to move on.

I still am more upset and appalled by the conditions and staff at DCA more than anything.

Honestly, PHKfa88 I have to say that when it comes to being treated exceptionally well by the flight crew, US is the hands down winner IMO.

Sadly when it comes to being treated really crappy, US Airways is also the winner. There seems to be no middle ground.

Now the great news is the crappy flight crew comes along my path maybe once every 18 months, if that. The splendid experiences far out weigh the bad ones.

Consistency is what's missing and that IMO is a Management issue.

For Once I Agree With You Piney...Don't Get Used To It Though :p

There is a difference between service that is quick and courteous and service that is just quick. No offense meant by it and now that I’ve had all day to think about it – it wasn’t any different than any other time I was served by some FA that probably has 50 years of service in. Yeah, DCA to BOS isn’t a long flight, but it could be made pleasant by a smile and a “hello†instead of a scour and “whatâ€. I just honestly feel that if the job makes you so unhappy that passengers and other employee’s notice it, perhaps it’s past time to move on.

I still am more upset and appalled by the conditions and staff at DCA more than anything.

:) HELLO!

For Once I Agree With You Piney...Don't Get Used To It Though :p
:) HELLO!

In most of my non-rev travels, mainline has 99% of the time outshined express hands down.

While on this subject, I have noticed the differences in mainline attitudes/customer service and those of AWA west. Not knocking west but some (not all) of their attitudes are just plain Airtran-ish...others have been very helpful and a pleasure to deal with...like everyhere else, just depends on the station and employees, what kind of day their having, etc; but -in my opinion- noticeable.

No offense meant by it and now that I’ve had all day to think about it – it wasn’t any different than any other time I was served by some FA that probably has 50 years of service in.

sky high states: So, by your analogy, anyone with alot of seniority has a POOR ATTITUDE? That's CRAP! I personally know several "F/A's OF THE YEAR". They all have over 20 years of service in. :up:

ONLY STATING OPINIONS

I realize the airline can't do anything about the passengers, but they can do something about the cleanliness of the gate area, the planes, and the staff they use. I would hope they could do something about that horrible smell too.. at least down around the shuttle gates.

sky high states: Flights begin at 6am and go til 10pm at night, all day long. Thousands and thousands of passengers arrive and depart DCA daily. Isnt it up to the AIRPORT to maintain it's property? And, isnt it up to the passengers to clean up after themselves? Sheesh, too lazy to get up and throw your newspaper/coffee cup in the garbage can? Nope, let's just leave it on the floor. Next time you fly, Board last and LOOK AROUND the gate area, you would think it was a REFUGEE CAMP that had just emptied out. It's the airport, I believe, who maintains it.

only stating opinions

Next time you fly, Board last and LOOK AROUND the gate area, you would think it was a REFUGEE CAMP that had just emptied out. It's the airport, I believe, who maintains it.
only stating opinions
YOu know...there's no excusing the piggishness of Americans in public. They pee all over the toilet seat (if they even bother to flush it), toss trash right out the window of their car along the side of the road, and yes...leave an airport/airplane in rather sad shape. Maybe they could do like they do the highways and get some volunteers to "adopt an airport gate" and clean up between flights.

Until they do - an airline has two choices...leave the crap for the next batch of passengers (and the impression that it leaves), or bite the bullet and tidy up the place before the next round of customers...and talk to their station manager about getting on the airports behind about getting the gate areas cleaned up.

The SHUTTLE is a whole different animal......for pax and Crew alike. From a Crew perspective, you either love it or hate it....very quick, no nonsense, minimal drama (ex. weekends). A quick, cordial, efficeint service is ALL that is attempted (this is a high frequency BUSINESS market). I for one loved working SHUTTLE and the pax clientele was Grade A. Weekend SHUTTLE....no thanks, reasons OBVIOUS. BOS-DCA allows for a more leisurely service by Shuttle standards (HA) but we're talking 25-35min segments, and the Crews that work them do a GREAT Job!

You can't make this stuff up folks. I think this a new low.

It is what it is.
We are what we are.
TrashAir. All around.
No one is expected to act professional nor held accountable when they arent. We need bodies and thats what we have.
Truly pathetic what this airline has become. (Not that we were all that to begin with, but ... ;) )

If you're standing please sit because you ain't gonna believe it.

Flew back from DFW on a Republic 170/175, got in about and hour ago.

The one Flight Attendant did the ENTIRE FLIGHT wearing a cardboad BURGER KING hat. You can't make this stuff up folks. I think this a new low.

What do you think about sending mass quantities of Burger King hats to Sherry Shamblin as a protest?

I didn't even know you could still get them.

She / he needs to be reported. This is one sure way to drive what customers we have left off. Unbelievable.

I non-rev'ed a few weeks ago out of CLT with four express employees..one obviously was "crew" as the identification was proudly displayed. They all acted like 7 year olds. If I were a paying passenger, I'd remember how "US Airways" employees represent themselves. I'd be really upset..even as an employee, I was embarrased.

I've seen express ramp workers wearing jeans like they were back on the block and an older gentleman who looks like he could barely pick-up a bag to load in the plane. I feel sorry for him everytime I see him.

The one Flight Attendant did the ENTIRE FLIGHT wearing a cardboad BURGER KING hat. You can't make this stuff up folks. I think this a new low.

What do you think about sending mass quantities of Burger King hats to Sherry Shamblin as a protest?

From a purely asthetic perspective, the color scheme of the Burger King hats is a wonderful compliment to the newly designed flight attendant uniform and will create a dynamic impression for customers. :up:

Nothing to do with Shrerry Shamblin. Shes in charge of real US Airways which is hard to find. Your flight attendant was Republic, contract, could piss on your face and Sherri Shamblin or anyone at US has no control over it. Write a letter and see what happens. Nothing. They are cheaper, we were told thats what the traveling public wanted.

I'm in ATL as I type this, waiting for a Delta connection flight out of concourse D.

Reaching this gate requires walking past the US Airways gates. I did notice a sudden increase in the ghetto level that dropped off once I passed the US gates.

One thing that seems to be popular with the new US passengers (males) is slouching with their legs spread apart, as if they're about to give birth.

One of the flights was to DCA but I guess it doesn't matter that much.

Latest posts