Non Rev from PHX to SEA on 8/16/07

mrbillm5

Aug 21, 2007
I just returned from a "non rev" family trip from CLT to SEA with a connection in PHX. I have non reved on both East and West sides of this united "US" several times, but what I experienced on 8/16/07 on flight #71 really shocked me. After departing PHX it was pretty much an uneventfull flight until we arrived in SEA. After pulling up to the gate we were delayed in getting ground crews to marshal the aircraft to the parking position. I'm not sure of the problem encountered, but the only male flight attenendant on board made an announcement that there whould be a delay. After about another five minutes had passed the same male flight attendant made an announcement that the reason we were delayed getting to the gate was that USAirways "East" employees must be working the gate. Needless to say I, along with all the "East Non Revs", and most of the "paying" passengers were appalled. I am a loyal employee of this airline with more than 25 years of service starting with Piedmont Airlines. I have seen things that would make the most seasoned traveler shuddder, but what I wittnessed on this flight was beyond contempt. I hope that if the upper management of this airline reads this, please take note. From what I have observed as a profressional aircraft mechanic and as a passanger aboard "East" and "West" aircraft is that the "West" Stinks with a capital S. The "West" aircraft show their age from years of maintance in third world countries. The aircraft smell like piss and vomit from lack of cleaning. Your crews lack the basic skills to welcome and make the passengers feel at ease. I for one, was glad to get an "East" aircraft maintained by "East" mechanics and with a "East" crew who knew how to make the passengers feel like they had someone to trust with a friendly smile. One thing that I noticed after I crossed the "East" "West" threshold is the lack of personable people on the "West" side. We on the "East" may have gone through a lot of hurdles in our careers but I was glad to see that our professionalism put the "West" side to shame. So, to the crew member on flight # 71 from PHX to SEA on 08/06/07 who thought he had the last word on bad service, I think you should pick a different career where you can use your highly trained skills more effectively, like bussing tables.

I sincerely hope your intent wasn't to start another east vs. west battle, so I'm not even going to bite the bait. Sorry your experience was an unpleasant one.

I guess when you're right, you're right. Maybe instead of the west "third world aircraft" we should put more east aircraft like this on the line...

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1002271/M/

Happy trails!

Aw, leave the kid alone, the poor guy probably has three teeth, couldn't hired at a real airline, and thinks Tuscon and Cancun are "seeing the world". If and when the work groups merge he will spend eternity on reserve in a 15 person crash pad in Queens, or get furloughed in the next merger round. This is the unprofessional, white trash, dumbed-down, childish mickey mouse type of carrying-on that America West management likes. Whatever.

US Airways has been around for 80 years, and will continue to be around in some form. Trailer trash like this and thier joke management are high turnover, and both will be gone soon.

While i do believe the poster has legitmate concerns, he/she mustn't be stepping on some of the shiitholes we call airplanes in the east.

US Airways has been around for 80 years, and will continue to be around in some form.

1927??
...no.
Piedmont Aviation started scheduled passenger service in 1948, and All American Airways (precursor to Allegheny) followed a year later. PSA and the predecessor of Lake Central (Turner Airlines) also first carried paying passengers in 1949.
Robinson Airlines, which would become Mohawk, started scheduled passenger flights in upstate New York before any of the others, in 1945.
Even if one includes All American's initial experimental Air Mail operations (using hook-equipped Stinston Reliants to grab mail sacks without landing), then US Airways' history goes back only to 1938, not 1927.

That was pretty low. Did any of the non-rev's comfront him during deplaning. All the employees in SEA are combined, and they are all great agents!

If there is a station that WORKS, it's SEA...

Never once had a prob w/ the emps there that are east/west combined...

Just a burned out, fedup FA...

And we have a few but I have come across more from the East in my commute. They are everywere.

GL

This FA did not provide any better service to the customers then the employees who let the plane sit waiting to be parked. The passengers are well aware of how messed up the airline is and do not need to be exposed to this employees EAST/WEST hatred. Making comments like that to the passengers may have seemed like a good way to vent at the time, but why would anybody want to try and chase away passengers.

I just do not get it.

No passengers. No job.

The aircraft smell like piss and vomit from lack of cleaning. Your crews lack the basic skills to welcome and make the passengers feel at ease. I for one, was glad to get an "East" aircraft maintained by "East" mechanics and with a "East" crew who knew how to make the passengers feel like they had someone to trust with a friendly smile. One thing that I noticed after I crossed the "East" "West" threshold is the lack of personable people on the "West" side. We on the "East" may have gone through a lot of hurdles in our careers but I was glad to see that our professionalism put the "West" side to shame. So, to the crew member on flight # 71 from PHX to SEA on 08/06/07 who thought he had the last word on bad service, I think you should pick a different career where you can use your highly trained skills more effectively, like bussing tables.
Peoples Express sill lives

. After about another five minutes had passed the same male flight attendant made an announcement that the reason we were delayed getting to the gate was that USAirways "East" employees must be working the gate.

This is not the first time announcements have been made such as these. I have witnessed them myself and a call DID go to inflight. Remarks like this are inappropriate no matter WHAT side and employees should not condone such by not wanting to get someone in trouble. I am not the Write Up Queen, but announcements like these are just R O N G!! So wrong therer is no W. What happened here would be the equivalence of an East f/a getting on the pa and making an announcement that we are delayed because we must wait on the screwed up computer system we inherited from AWA to give us our weight and balance.

Its ok to think these things, but everyone should keep things like that to themselves.

Agreed. It was inappropriate for that FA to make such an announcement, true or not. It's also a shame the pilots didn't make a PA to explain the delay. Personally, I love making the delay announcements every fifteen minutes in PHL: "Don't know why it's taking so long to (load bags, get marshallers, get a jetway driver, get the numbers). Still don't know why. Still don't know why..." The pax don't like sitting like we've forgotten about them.

THIS is a prime example where Sherri Shambles needs to step in, exercise her Authority as VP of Inflight (or is she still unaware of her responsibilities) and address THE ISSUE with the employee. Shambles conducting Roundtable Meetings to discuss Energy Drinks, Buy-On-Board and other related BS is secondary. I have met many great people from the WEST and feel even they would have a hard time turning a blind eye to this poor attempt at comedy. (Hopefully the NON-REVS onboard will contact Tempe...........and who cares about Mr. Mouth getting into any "Trouble". (And the GD Union needs to let THIS PERSON DEFEND themself..........my Union Dues are NOT meant to be utilized on *SSHOLES!)

Aw, leave the kid alone, the poor guy probably has three teeth, couldn't hired at a real airline, and thinks Tuscon and Cancun are "seeing the world". If and when the work groups merge he will spend eternity on reserve in a 15 person crash pad in Queens, or get furloughed in the next merger round. This is the unprofessional, white trash, dumbed-down, childish mickey mouse type of carrying-on that America West management likes. Whatever.

US Airways has been around for 80 years, and will continue to be around in some form. Trailer trash like this and thier joke management are high turnover, and both will be gone soon.
I'm getting used to being called EAST US. It was odd at first, but I kinda like it now. It separates us until the next merger!

the reason we were delayed getting to the gate was that USAirways "East" employees must be working the gate.

Depends on which staffing model they use in SEA. The one they use for the West or East. If its what they use on the East, they probably were working the gate which means they were probably still working their last flight since they dont like to staff for more than 1 plane at a time, yet schedule multiple flights at the same time. Makes it kind of hard to be boarding and have to run and meet an inbound without delaying the outbound as well.

I have met many great people from the WEST and feel even they would have a hard time turning a blind eye to this poor attempt at comedy.

This is all soooo Piedmont/PSA/ USAir. Close my eyes and I would swear it was 1989. Ugh!! The USAir management team didn't know how to eliminate the problem then and this group has the same problem now. EVERY West f/a I have met have been VERY kind and have been nothing but gracious and kind.

Management MUST put a stop to the East vs West BS. It startrs with ONE contract and ONE inflight procedure.

Latest posts