10 CEOs Who Got Rich By Squeezing Workers

Lets see, every employee at the drop of a judge's gavel took a 19% paycut. Lakefield was making more than Kelliher at WN and Neeleman at B6, both those airlines were very profitable and US was in chapter 11 for the second time in two years, you lead by example, and he did not. He wasnt even involved in negotiations, Glass and McKeen led those.

And the man the deserves the money and the credit would be John Lutz at Seabury and Associates, he put the merger together and the money.

Someone needs a towel...

dawson_crying.gif

Someone needs a towel...

dawson_crying.gif

First off without Lakefields rather extensive Rolodex there would have been no John Lutz or Seabury & Associates. I know it deaden's your valid argument with other CEO's the truth is that without Lakefield 33000 jobs would cease to exist.

I'm curious as to what your thoughts are regarding the OP of this thread. I'm sure that when you worked for US Airways you showed up on time, did your job to the best of your abilities, and did not help yourself to the minis in first class. ;)

I'm also rather sure that you saw you retirement take a hit as a result of US Air's two BK's along with hits in the benefit department. The question I have is did the executives who had a hand in the troubles at US Air take the same hit you did and if not how do you feel about it?

Davey wasn't mentioned in the top ten list.

Exec's got raises, we paid for them. IAM didn't do too bad either.

I didn't have much to say about it......its like eating #### sandwiches 777 somedays they don't have bread..........

They voted twice remember?.....I voted the same way both times.

Actually Bob your wrong, Seabury and Associates were hired by US in the first bankruptcy, they were used to raise money and negotiate with US' leaseholders on reducing costs.

So they were dealing with US while Bruce was retired playing golf in Florida.

Lakefield was a figure head, I was there at CCY, he never once attended anyone's negotiations, Glass was the lead on that, Lakefield did Bronner a favor to gain the employee's trust.

Union whistleblowers: We were beaten and harassed after they accused bosses of looting

One member of Communications Workers of America Local 1101 said that after he reported a time-sheet padding scheme, a thug beat him so badly his spine was injured.

Another says he found a dead rat in his locker, while a third said a union officer warned that suspected informants should be brought off company property and “taken care of.”

The threats come to light as the U.S. Labor Department is probing charges that union bosses lined their pockets at the rank-and-file’s expense.

Accusations include an unauthorized 401(k) plan union officers gave themselves funded with members’ dues, along with hefty weekly allowances, lavish expense accounts and six-figure salaries, union documents show.

The feds are also looking into allegations that double-dipping union bosses illegally received pay from Verizon and the local for the same hours, sources said.

"This was union greed and that's worse than corporate greed," said Kevin Condy, a reform movement leader of the 6,700-member local that represents mostly Verizon workers in Manhattan and the Bronx. "These guys acted like they felt they were entitled."

Union whistleblowers: We were beaten and harassed after they accused bosses of looting

One member of Communications Workers of America Local 1101 said that after he reported a time-sheet padding scheme, a thug beat him so badly his spine was injured.

Another says he found a dead rat in his locker, while a third said a union officer warned that suspected informants should be brought off company property and “taken care of.”

The threats come to light as the U.S. Labor Department is probing charges that union bosses lined their pockets at the rank-and-file’s expense.

Accusations include an unauthorized 401(k) plan union officers gave themselves funded with members’ dues, along with hefty weekly allowances, lavish expense accounts and six-figure salaries, union documents show.

The feds are also looking into allegations that double-dipping union bosses illegally received pay from Verizon and the local for the same hours, sources said.

"This was union greed and that's worse than corporate greed," said Kevin Condy, a reform movement leader of the 6,700-member local that represents mostly Verizon workers in Manhattan and the Bronx. "These guys acted like they felt they were entitled."

With all due respect to Kevin Condy there are no degrees of "Sin". Either there are illegal activities or there aren't. If Union hierarchy conspire to defraud their members it's no different than the activities of Bernie Madoff or Denny Hecker or Enron.

Right now all we have with the CWA is allegations and investigations. Nothing more, Nothing less. However we do have jail cells full of white collar criminals. Whether you steal a dollar or a dime you're still stealing and it's still wrong.

With all due respect to Kevin Condy there are no degrees of "Sin". Either there are illegal activities or there aren't. If Union hierarchy conspire to defraud their members it's no different than the activities of Bernie Madoff or Denny Hecker or Enron.

Right now all we have with the CWA is allegations and investigations. Nothing more, Nothing less. However we do have jail cells full of white collar criminals. Whether you steal a dollar or a dime you're still stealing and it's still wrong.
Yea I'm sure it was just some misunderstanding or something, nothing to see here move along...gimmee a break

Gimme a break right back atcha...

The reality is that there are people who commit crimes in all sectors/industries of society. That's just life in the big city. We can play "I read about a guy" a day long, using outlier examples, but it's not really accurate. Using Dapoes' logic, none of us should use a bank, let or kids play soccer, etc. Once again, a small fraction of any given group does not represent the whole.

The reality is that there are people who commit crimes in all sectors/industries of society. That's just life in the big city. We can play "I read about a guy" a day long, using outlier examples, but it's not really accurate. Using Dapoes' logic, none of us should use a bank, let or kids play soccer, etc. Once again, a small fraction of any given group does not represent the whole.

Agreed! For reasons unknown, we are a society that focuses on the negative. For Every Enron, World Com, etc there are thousands of CEO's with the requisite moral fiber to operate honestly and ethically. Ditto for organized labor.

Due to various Federal Laws unions are REQUIRED to represent ALL of their members and this creates a huge vacuum in terms of common sense. I have several union leaders as friends and I posed the following to them. "If I asked you and management to prepare a list separate of each other of the "Bad" employees that should fired immediately would the two lists be virtually the same" I got a resounding YES every time I posed the question to either Labor or Management.

Fact is that even if a union agrees with the company that a member should be fired they are bound by law to zealously defend their member regardless that common sense would dictate otherwise. It's called Duty of Fair Representation and it is yet another example of how government intervention into our lives creates stupidity where common sense should prevail.

Agreed. That said, our CBA at NW had a few issues where once "proved," DFR went out the window. Theft, workplace violence and a couple others meant you were out the door, period, with no help from the IAM. Of course, being represented also meant that you were guaranteed due process, discovery, and other rights that at will people do not necessarily always have.

lol I knew this would get some attention. Just remember that line Once again, a small fraction of any given group does not represent the whole. next time you run across yet another class warfare article like "10 CEOs Who Got Rich By Squeezing Workers".

Another juicy nugget: As budget cuts loom, state's largest teachers union has burned through millions of dollars

Hmm, I wonder if some think they may be under assault...from their own union. :unsure:

It's a unions JOB to zealously represent its members. There is no other reason for them to exist. The Teachers Unions aren't there to create a positive work environment that facilitates learning. They really don't care if little Billy can read because if he does great and if he can't that's OK too because they've successfully negotiated accountability right out of their contracts. No sane union would ever agree to more instead of less accountability, not because it's the right thing to do but because they would possibly violate the Duty of Fair Representation clause of one of the Labor laws passed under FDR.

As for what a union spends money on it's a matter of public record. Just like the USA we may or may not agree that Congress spends our money wisely and we have elections every so often where we the people have the right to change our representation as do union members and frankly since neither of us are teachers in NY what the union spends money on is not our concern.

The lack of accountability is ONE of the reasons you have Scott Walker, Chris Christie, Mitch Daniels and several others who are trying every tool and trick they can to get both cost and accountability under control.

We wouldn't have this issue with the AFT and NEA had we treated our teacher right in the first place. Anybody know why the tenure system was started?

Back