Why Workers Need to Give Concessions.

I think it is funny that workers (read unions) pitch a fit about management salary abuse but do not do a damn thing about abusive contracts that allow UAW workers to smoke pot and drink alcohol on TV but still get their jobs back. The abuses that unions force companies to accept. Funny how workers only complain about other people abuses and not their own. The sick time abuse I saw at the airlines just from one work group cost the company a small fortune each and every year. Let me know when the unions complain about that loss of company revenue.

In my expereince the majority of workers will show up and do their job to the best of their ablaity. People who abuse the system are the exception and not the rule.

When company falls on hard times or even fails you can trace it's demise to bad decision making from the top. The avaition industry is full of such examples.

Be it basic capitalism or the more intense side of economics and competing theories of the Keynesian and Austrian schools.

Waht does that have to do with anything? I'll tell what, nothing. Its just you using your favorite words again.

In my expereince the majority of workers will show up and do their job to the best of their ablaity. People who abuse the system are the exception and not the rule.

When company falls on hard times or even fails you can trace it's demise to bad decision making from the top. The avaition industry is full of such examples.

I agree on both counts. How ever the impression people have of unions is due to their own making. Not all CEO's are abusive but a minority of them as well (perhaps a larger minority) and the impression people have of greedy CEO's is also of their own making.

All I am suggesting is that perhaps the unions may wish to clean up their own back yard first. I think that would go along way toward getting the public back on their side. Were unions to focus more on the well being of the company rather than their own pay roll people may be a bit more compassionate. If the teachers unions were to say he, tenure is something we need to deal with. A bad teacher is a bad teacher and we need to figure out a way to deal with it (and then do it) perhaps parents wold be more sympathetic.

Were unions to focus more on the well being of the company rather than their own pay roll people may be a bit more compassionate.

Labor has tried to play nice in the sandbox for years; where'd that get us? Cooperation is nice, but only when it's a two-way street. Be sure to let us know when that starts happening on a widespread scale.

That said, your point about "cleaning up one's back yard" is one I happen to agree with; we just have differing reasons on why...

Here's the real reason why workers need to give concessions.

http://money.msn.com/investing/10-outrageously-lavish-ceo-perks

When a company is in financial difficulties changes are going to happen. To think otherwise is naive.

You do have options however. One option is to ride it out and hope things will get better. Like they did at Continetal. Another option is to take your skills elsewhere. And finally you can sit around whining about how much it sucks without actually doing anything about it.

You do however have options on how you handle

Funny thing though...the only contracts that seem to be indestructable are those for the execs. Every labor group had a contract that specified a pension. Those have been broken over and over again by companies entering bankruptcy. The only pensions that remain intact? Execs.
That is EXACTLY what happened in the UA BK
Tilton had a meeting with the SFO M&R and tried to explain how how our contracts will be abrogated.
One employee asked if his pension will be terminated.
His reply was 'I have a contract'.
WTF!
As long as people allow this BS, they will end up in servitude.
JMHO,
B) xUT

That is EXACTLY what happened in the UA BK
Tilton had a meeting with the SFO M&R and tried to explain how how our contracts will be abrogated.
One employee asked if his pension will be terminated.
His reply was 'I have a contract'.
WTF!
As long as people allow this BS, they will end up in servitude.
JMHO,
B) xUT

If that employee had not been economically illerate he would have never have asked that question. He had been he would have asked if he could shine Mr. Tiltons shoes.

I think it is funny that workers (read unions) pitch a fit about management salary abuse but do not do a damn thing about abusive contracts that allow UAW workers to smoke pot and drink alcohol on TV but still get their jobs back. The abuses that unions force companies to accept. Funny how workers only complain about other people abuses and not their own. The sick time abuse I saw at the airlines just from one work group cost the company a small fortune each and every year. Let me know when the unions complain about that loss of company revenue.

We are drug tested, Horton isnt.

Abuses? Such as?

In this particular case it would seem that they are not tested. If you would like Horton or any other member of management to be tested then go ahead and negotiate it. In this case, it would appear the union did a really good job of negotiating a contract that protects workers who put together a car that you may be driving while they are high. Does that give you a warm fuzzy? If a plane mechanic cannot be high, why should someone who puts together a car be able to do it? Do you think this may have something to do with the popularity of unions?

So you cannot think of any cases where your fellow employees have abused company policies? Surly you are not arguing that it is only management are the abusers.

Latest posts

Back