AA to go back to "banked" hubs

PullUp said:
You are all knowing. I bow to your wisdom.
I'm sorry, Captain, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion.   You're just not entitled to your own facts.   The facts are that US has lost more money than it's earned since the merger with HP (if you net the profits and losses) and the profitable years were enabled by your very low pay.  It's great that you've finally escaped the regional payrates that were forced on you almost a decade ago, but those payrates are the very reason why Parker and Kirby were able to report some profitable years since 2005.   

As to whether re-banking the AA hubs will increase revenue?   I don't know.   For the sake of the employees of new AA, let's hope they generate more revenue than their higher costs.

Reactions: 2 people
Customers, especially business pax, don't want to sit around for three hours waiting for their connection.
Seamless service on a global carrier requires reasonable connection times or the biz pax will book away.
Bottom line is the bottom line.
large hubs like ATL and DFW have more than enough frequency to offset the unbanked nature of those hubs... but even ATL is really partially banked and I suspect the same is true of DFW and ORD even now. DTW and MSP are much more heavily banked. In high frequency markets that have hourly service for instance, you will sacrifice the frequency of the schedule for the sake of making the banks work. I'm not sure what markets AA operates on a pure hourly basis... but if those types of markets exist, then AA will either lose the marketing advantage of flights at a specific minute every hour or the hubs will not truly be banked since I don't think there is any hub that operates on the same minute of the hour every hour.

It is undoubtedly the case that Parker can try to push for increased revenue at the expense of higher costs because AA will have more planes and employees than it needs. If AA currently has an out and back schedule from DFW to TPA and FLL, for instance, or ORD to SFO and SAN, there will be unnecessary and increased ground at one of those two outstations. The way that excess ground time is avoided is by scheduling from a network perspective with a plane arriving from ORD turning to make up a flight to DFW, a practice that I believe AA eliminated several years ago. It also won't be possible until AA has a single ops cert or ends up with a very, very complex schedule since crews and aircraft will be separated for some time between PMAA and PMUS.

Either way, adding banks where they don't currently exist does have a cost.

Reactions: 1 person
Banked hubs may increase revenue, but let's get one thing clear:   the one and only reason that US Airways has generated any profits since 2005 can be found in the very low pilot payrates (and until earlier this year, the very low FA pay).    If you and your colleagues had put aside your civil war and obtained AA-APA payrates since the merger, US Airways wouldn't have had a single profitable year.   

The current ORD and DFW schedules show relatively few city-pairs requiring anything like a three hour layover.    With banked hubs, a 75 minute or 90 minute connection might be reduced to a 45-60 minute connection.   Besides, AA has far more nonstops for the key business markets;  it's US AIrways that connects far more passengers who would have flown nonstop on AA if they weren't attracted to the low US Advantage fares.   

Maybe you're right, but the profit-loss picture at US Airways since 2005 doesn't constitute any evidence to support that proposition, given the apples-oranges comparison (thanks to your very low pilot pay).   Now that Parker has finally handed you guys pay increases (retroactive to Valentine's Day)  to match the AA payrates, the labor cost advantage your airline formerly enjoyed has evaporated.  

Old US could afford higher labor costs for ground employees caused by banked hubs at CLT and PHL since the pilots subsidized those higher costs.   Now, new AA has higher pilot and FA costs and Parker/Kirby have announced that MIA, ORD and DFW are going to get higher ground labor costs with banked hubs.   With the pilots and FAs no longer subsidizing those ground costs (like they did at old US Airways), we'll see if Kirby the Miracle Worker can generate profits at new AA.
Now we will find out if Doug and gang have what it takes to run a large airline without the hammer of bankruptcy. My guess is that they will be back at the employees shortly because of the weather, economy, phase of the moon, alignment of the stars,etc,etc. This merger had nothing to do with making a stronger, better company......it was all about egos (management) and making a few people a lot of money. There will be no loss of face among the senior management types if it doesn't work because they will have accomplished their goal by making themselves richer.

Bob

My guess is they will focus forst on the opperation and turn it around just like they did at US.
I'm sure you're right about them focusing on the operation. Is it possible that certain management types get a large bonus for operational stats or did that go away with the merger? Having a smooth running operation does not mean it will make money it will more than likely just make more money for some of the managers.

All the best,

Bob

Banking flights can have a direct impact on on-time stats. That said, I don't think there are any penalties involved from garden variety delays other than bad publicity generated from the DOT numbers. With airlines making unprecedented profits via constricted capacity, old fashioned, nickel and dime delays have been relegated to the back burner. OTOH, I've had heads-up messages from management requesting attention to certain segments prone to chronic delays. The gist being that a chronic delay on a given segment would imperil the company's service to the community in question.

Two things you can take to the bank with this new team, Doug Paker will not fly unprofitable routs for long & Robert Isom will not tolerate chronic ops issues.

UPNAWAY said:
Two things you can take to the bank with this new team, Doug Paker will not fly unprofitable routs for long & Robert Isom will not tolerate chronic ops issues.
Synergies combined with the above DP management philosophy bodes ill for headcount. There had better be a worthwhile early out offered or layoffs will happen despite all the promises.

Synergies combined with the above DP management philosophy bodes ill for headcount. There had better be a worthwhile early out offered or layoffs will happen despite all the promises.
I agree with you on your post. Now that the cheerleaders have put away their pompoms I think the employee group will find out that the honeymoon is over and they will find out that not much has changed. I find it hard to accept that Doug and gang really have changed their philosophy regarding employee relations and will soon have the lawyers "interpreting" all that was positive for the employees.......of course if you have 5 yrs or so you can also file an "expedited" grievance and then wait for a couple more years while the company tries to weasel out of the remedy!

Good luck and all the best,

Bob

I find it hard to accept that Doug and gang really have changed their philosophy regarding employee relations

For the most part he has done a remarkable job of saving head count since 9/11.

Would you rather have more pay and fewer workers or everyone keeping their jobs?  BTW all airlines pay market rates to their nonunion employees without issue. And did you notice SWA had over 10K applicants for 750 FA jobs.  Turnover in this industry is also very low. There really is no case to be made that airline employees are under paid dispite your union telling you that all the time.

That has nothing to do with the state of labor relations at US.

Eight years for the FAs to have a JCBA, three years of section 6 negotiating for all 3 IAM groups, and over 2 years for the CWA, and over 8 years for the pilots.

Yep labor relations are stellar, come out from your cubical and see how the real front line employees have to deal with.

Making less now than they were over 10 years ago.

UPNAWAY said:
Would you rather have more pay and fewer workers or everyone keeping their jobs?  BTW all airlines pay market rates to their nonunion employees without issue. And did you notice SWA had over 10K applicants for 750 FA jobs.  Turnover in this industry is also very low. There really is no case to be made that airline employees are under paid dispite your union telling you that all the time.
True dat, marketplace at work.

Josh

Latest posts