Aircraft maint issues

If the mediator did a fair assessment, the only conclusion he could come to _ would be that AMT benefits on the LAA side are far below the industry standard. I would suspect the company wants to change the scope percentage of work farmed out in exchange for restoring our benefits. The union has run out of excuses to convince line AMTs to accept less in order to maintain headcount in overhaul.

That's what I got out of Isom's speech when told we will take Deltas contract. It's like he thinks we are a social program where we are subsidizeing the size of the workforce.

If the mediator did a fair assessment, the only conclusion he could come to _ would be that AMT benefits on the LAA side are far below the industry standard. I would suspect the company wants to change the scope percentage of work farmed out in exchange for restoring our benefits. The union has run out of excuses to convince line AMTs to accept less in order to maintain headcount in overhaul.

Exactly, but, we all know how cumbersome and slow moving the nmb is. So, is isom talking about just getting some guy off the street to sort it out?

It would seem to me and I'm just throwing this out there for discussion but, it would seem to me that might be a faster way to a fair agreement then what we are currently doing, since the company is unwilling to do what they said.

EDIT:::

Its as if isom is taking a play out of the Ass handbook when they used a third party to decide seniority. It seems he's saying use a 3rd party to decide the hard issues with the jcba, we all know he's going back on his and dp's word (old news).

Last edited by a moderator:
The mediator would come from the NMB and we have already seen where they decided we didn't need to vote on who was going to represent us. I do not trust them.

I don't see anyone posting that they are destitute.
No, you have people saying American Airlines is screwing them into the ground.......

What I see is people that see the disparity in benefits not only with or peers at other airlines, but with our LUS AMTs at our own company.
Don't worry I am sure American Airlines will lower the bar for LUS AMT's soon enough.

Your opinion seems to be anything over the median income in the US - is frosting on the cake, and we should be happy.
No. That is what YOU are projecting my opinion to be. My opinion is it is ridiculous to hear some whiny mechanic with a full benefits package making six figures claim American Airlines is screwing them into the ground. You guys make a pretty decent living.

That's not our benchmark, and you know it.
Great. Nor should it be. Get what you can get.

Not unlike many other industries and professions, our pay and benefits are based on the average of our peers at similar companies.
Define similar.

Let's look at the average pay for an airline mechanic in the United States shall we?

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/naics4_488100.htm

peers-jpg.11551

Attachments

• PEERS.jpg
    PEERS.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 594
Last edited:
The mediator would come from the NMB and we have already seen where they decided we didn't need to vote on who was going to represent us. I do not trust them.

Not questioning your knowledge older guy, but how do you the mediator would come from the nmb?

Didnt the fa's use binding arb and if so where did he come from?

I may be a piece of work but you deviated by bringing your profession into the conversation. Perhaps you could grace aircraft maintenance with adequate computer hardware to keep up with the times?
Why is it that no matter where people go, the hardware and or the software is slow. Is it just IE departments falling behind or the maintenance performed on these items?
That is not an IT problem, it is an accountant problem.

The company will continue to drag negotiations out until 2018 when the IAM contract is up. Isom said in the ORD town hall that it might have to see what and when a mediator is brought in. The company is wasting money on redoing some shops and painting hangars. The mechanics priorities are at the bottom. The association has no power. They will allow the company to drag their feet. Every time the negotiator comes back he has no new news. Face the facts, you got the money and the rest will be like the pilots and flight attendants contract. Piss poor medical!

The company is doing what the company does, PERIOD. The mighty Association was supposed to be the "FIX" for this known game plan. But as it turns out, the company had a golden egg thrown right into their lap. It is so good for the company that they are getting frustrated because they didn't expect to have it this easy and it's confusing them. But hey, CC or Lead Tim in ORD says all is good in IAM/Parker land so suck it up.

Reactions: OldGuy@AA
Not questioning your knowledge older guy, but how do you the mediator would come from the nmb?

Didnt the fa's use binding arb and if so where did he come from?
Well actually it is just a guess since NMB is the acronym for the National Mediation Board and that is where the mediators have come from in the past. But you don't want binding arbitration either as in my experience we have never done well with that. Company seems to own all the arbitrators.

Last edited:
Well actually it is just a guess since NMB is the acronym for the National Mediation Board and that is where the mediators have come from in the past. But you don't want binding arbitration either as in my experience we have never done well with that. Company seems to own all the arbitrators.

Just throwing this out there though, lets say they use a mediator from the nmb? Then you end up with an impasse, remember, much time is used and after a long period the mediator declares it as such and remember what comes after that? Well, 30 day cooling off, then the parties are free to engage in slow downs strikes lockouts all those nice little activities. However, all of this occurs under the guise of section 6 RLA negotiations. We are not in section 6 negotiations, so what teeth an nmb mediator has to move the parties forward without the threat of economic warfare?

Just wondering and trying to figure out wtf isom was talking about and why doesn't the union explain the legal ramifications of the mans words?

No, you have people saying American Airlines is screwing them into the ground.......

Don't worry I am sure American Airlines will lower the bar for LUS AMT's soon enough.

No. That is what YOU are projecting my opinion to be. My opinion is it is ridiculous to hear some whiny mechanic with a full benefits package making six figures claim American Airlines is screwing them into the ground. You guys make a pretty decent living.

Great. Nor should it be. Get what you can get.

Define similar.

Let's look at the average pay for an airline mechanic in the United States shall we?

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/naics4_488100.htm

peers-jpg.11551

Your cut and paste is week at best = as we all know that is not the stats that even the company uses. Get real for a minute, we are talking about our competitors UAL, DAL, SWA, even LUS, etc.. Might as well throw in UPS and Fed Ex as well, when competing for new talent in the profession.

W
Really good questions that Isom pretended not to understand and gave lousy answers to. I also LOVED the US Air guy who is the typical "I Got Mine" a$$ hat who couldn't care less about the LAA guys. He also heaped praise on DP who is pillaging the company as we speak. This guy showed they got idiots on the IAM side too. Anyone that knows him please kick him in the pills for me. Isom said he wants mediation and we all know that will slow down the process even more. Stall is the only plan he and his filthy rich buddies have. They need a wake up call.
We need to get rid of the iam and the association. Looks like the IAM is the new Tulsa of the 80s and 90's. They could careless about the rest of the guys on the AA side. A card drive is not a bad option at this point. We have the numbers on the TWU side.

Just throwing this out there though, lets say they use a mediator from the nmb? Then you end up with an impasse, remember, much time is used and after a long period the mediator declares it as such and remember what comes after that? Well, 30 day cooling off, then the parties are free to engage in slow downs strikes lockouts all those nice little activities. However, all of this occurs under the guise of section 6 RLA negotiations. We are not in section 6 negotiations, so what teeth an nmb mediator has to move the parties forward without the threat of economic warfare?

Just wondering and trying to figure out wtf isom was talking about and why doesn't the union explain the legal ramifications of the mans words?

Bringing in a mediator would be a huge mistake. They have their pace for things, and that is slow. Advantage company. Blame gets shifted on who to blame for the contract delay.

W

We need to get rid of the iam and the association. Looks like the IAM is the new Tulsa of the 80s and 90's. They could careless about the rest of the guys on the AA side. A card drive is not a bad option at this point. We have the numbers on the TWU side.

Ooo Ooo I know, I know. Wait a minute. I know who.

Yes absolutely this has got to be the ticket?

IMG_2277.JPG

Actually 4 1/2 years now.

Last edited:

Excellent point Conehead. Thank you for posting. As far as the union explaining anything.... Isom pretty much called them liars. Still no reaction from either the TWU or the IAM.