Aircraft maint issues

AMP organizing committee information sheet

“ You guys don’t know what you are doing!”
Quoted - Pat Kinnamon – Local 514 Chairman of Maintenance

We know exactly what we are doing, and can even explain why we are doing this.

THE PROBLEM

Here is a quote from the Railway Labor Act
The RAILWAY LABOR ACT § 152. General duties

Fourth….
Employees shall have the right to organize and bargain collectively through representatives of their own choosing. The majority of any craft or class of employees shall have the right to determine who shall be the representative of the craft or class for the purposes of this chapter.

THIS DOESN’T SAY WE CAN OR WILL BE FORCED INTO AN ASSOCIATION OF DUAL FIGHTING UNIONS WITHOUT A VOTE OF THE MEMBERSHIP LIKE WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO US AT AMERICAN AIRLINES. THIS ABOMINATION OF UNIONISM WAS HANDED TO YOU ON APRIL 15th, 2015. OVER 3 YEARS AGO.

We have all waited for the Association to produce that “quick” Joint Collective Bargaining Agreement (JCBA) that Sean Doyle TWU International Representative promised us at meetings held on the Tulsa Base. TWU promised us a ballot, promised us the Association was the fastest way to the JCBA. Now we know the truth. The Association requested AA Management to keep all proceedings in negotiations secret.

After 3 years of sitting and waiting, many of us on the Tulsa Base have finally had enough. Enough Lies, Enough Misinformation, Enough Broken Promises, Enough Silencing of our Local Leadership. The Association even removed our President Dale Danker from the negotiating room asking him to be the water boy for those still in the room. Talk about a slap in the face. This left Local 514 without a voice in the negotiating room.

American Airlines management began disclosing the details of the company’s proposal, and told us why they agreed to secret negotiations, and why they decided to come out with the facts. Basically the Association lied to management destroying the credibility of our union.

Management knows we don’t support this Association. Management knows we never got to vote. Management knows the Association is an illegitimate representation and that we didn’t choose this and allowed by the Railway Labor Act. And since Management has lost all respect for the Association, negotiations have indeed completely stalled.

The MEMBERSHIP NEEDS A SINGLE UNION, A SINGLE VOICE, AND ONE THAT IS VOTED IN BY THE MAJORITY.

NOT THIS ILLEGITMATE ABOMINATION OF UNIONISM NEVER BEFORE SEEN IN LABOR HISTORY.

THE SOLUTION

To obtain the vote promised by the Railway Labor Act, we must sign authorization cards showing interest of at least 50% plus one of the eligible members in any craft or class.
Our craft or class is designated by the National Mediation Board.

And this Craft or Class is made of everyone in Title 1 and Title 2 along with planners, schedulers, trainers, ect. Or it is easier to say everyone except Stock Clerks and Fleet Service Clerks whom have their own craft or class and can also do what we are doing on their own accord.

Here are some Highlights of the AMP Constitution and why we chose this path.
AMP is an independent union just like the American Airlines Pilots and Flight Attendants. Both have been respected and treated far better than we have since American and USAir merged.

AMP prohibits the blackout of communication to membership, including contract negotiation proposals from Management and the Union.
AMP will return the line station locals removed by TWU International. And the President and Vice-President of each Local will sit on a Board of Directors; giving a voice back to membership in different locations across the system.

AMP will be made up of only members from the Mechanic and Related craft or class. We will no longer be combined with other groups and called “ground workers”. We will demand the respect that maintenance professionals deserve. Our piece of the negotiation pie will no longer be looted by other work groups simply because they out number us. We will be the majority in AMP.

AMP will have direct election of National Officers and recall of National Officers. The days of good ol’e boy appointees will become a thing of the past.

AMP is an independent union only representing American Airlines members in the craft or class of Mechanic and Related. This will keep the focus of National Officers and Board of Directors only upon our needs as employees of American Airlines.

AMP dues base will be $1.4 million per month based on the 2 hours pay per month dues rate. $16 million per year. Remember both the AA Pilots and the AA Flight Attendants started similar independent unions from a startup and succeeded. We can too!

AMP will be One Union, One Voice voted on by the membership via the National Mediation Board ballot. No more Dual Fighting Unions destroying our jobs.

AMP will immediately request AA management to engage in negotiations to quickly complete contract negotiations. We will be focused only on Mechanic and Related issues instead of 7 work groups negotiating at once as with this illegitimate Association.

The Positives of AMP and making this move now are extremely beneficial to the Mechanic and Related Craft of Class that we cannot delay. We need to sign the authorization cards to get a ONE Union, ONE Voice vote by the membership and quickly correct this horrible wrong.

This is a grass roots movement to eliminate the Association. Which is nothing more than an illegitimate un-voted on abomination of Unionism as it is meant to be.

SIGN AN AMP CARD AND TURN IT IN TODAY!!!

Reactions: B737 driver
UPS just came under an AIP with their pay jumping up 8 per hour on top of the current 51.30. Topping out somewhere 65-70. No scope changes. Additional pension contribution by co. full retro, 401K retro and pension retro. Only increase to medical was the deductibles of 200 and 400 per year, still no premiums for the employees and NO teamcare (thank God).
AS just rejected their JCBA.
Not sure at this point if our will pass or fail, but it does appear the longer the wait the more NO votes seem to get discussed.
Now's the time for new representation for you guys. AMP will suit you guys the best. A Mechanics union for the Mechanics, ONE union ONE voice. Good luck...

UPS just came under an AIP with their pay jumping up 8 per hour on top of the current 51.30. Topping out somewhere 65-70. No scope changes. Additional pension contribution by co. full retro, 401K retro and pension retro. Only increase to medical was the deductibles of 200 and 400 per year, still no premiums for the employees and NO teamcare (thank God).
AS just rejected their JCBA.
Not sure at this point if our will pass or fail, but it does appear the longer the wait the more NO votes seem to get discussed.
Now's the time for new representation for you guys. AMP will suit you guys the best. A Mechanics union for the Mechanics, ONE union ONE voice. Good luck...
I wish these guys luck too, However UPS only has 1300 mechanics , because they contract all their heavy maintenance out. They can get those kind of wages. Our group is small also 2501 members , even less mechanics to maintain over 700 aircraft. Our small numbers also explains why they offered us these fat retro checks. Our wages will end up being what United, Delta, and American is, not UPS or Fed ex. When you get the size American is, they get signing bonus for their employees and maybe 3% more than what United makes, when it is all said and done. The most important is their and ours scope language.

I wish these guys luck too, However UPS only has 1300 mechanics , because they contract all their heavy maintenance out. They can get those kind of wages. Our group is small also 2501 members , even less mechanics to maintain over 700 aircraft. Our small numbers also explains why they offered us these fat retro checks. Our wages will end up being what United, Delta, and American is, not UPS or Fed ex. When you get the size American is, they get signing bonus for their employees and maybe 3% more than what United makes, when it is all said and done. The most important is their and ours scope language.

American would love to emulate the Maintenance program and have the Union in place that SWA has. AMFA took 6 years to negotiate a deal with the Airline which essentially all that they gained was wages. They spent years fighting against more outsourcing until Management was finally ready to move off their demands. AMFA wanted to open and negotiate a full agreement to gain more work and in the end they essentially gained nothing extra.

Even if our Unions (They’re not) accepted the offer that Management offered us it would still leave AA with a TON more in house Maintenance than AMFA could even dream of getting close to.

The Airline you work for driver even publicly stated that they wanted to be an Ultra Low Cost Carrier. The Southwest Effect is what has been lowering the industry pay and benefits for the last 30 years and it’s still happening today.

“Since Southwest began ramping up its presence at Washington’s Reagan National Airport (DCA) in 2014, passenger traffic is up 38% and fares are down 12% on routes the airline flies nonstop. That’s above the industry’s nationwide average and is greater than the 31% passenger increase and 8% fare drop seen across all airline routes at DCA, Southwest says, citing publicly available federal data from the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Southwest says those trends are evidence of the “Southwest Effect” – a phenomenon in which fares fall and traffic rises once Southwest enters a new market.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/95964546

Last edited:
American would love to emulate the Maintenance program and have the Union in place that SWA has. AMFA took 6 years to negotiate a deal with the Airline which essentially all that they gained was wages. They spent years fighting against more outsourcing until Management was finally ready to move off their demands. AMFA wanted to open and negotiate a full agreement to gain more work and in the end they essentially gained nothing extra.

Even if our Unions (They’re not) accepted the offer that Management offered us it would still leave AA with a TON more in house Maintenance than AMFA could even dream of getting close to.

The Airline you work for driver even publicly stated that they wanted to be an Ultra Low Cost Carrier. The Southwest Effect is what has been lowering the industry pay and benefits for the last 30 years and it’s still happening today.

“Since Southwest began ramping up its presence at Washington’s Reagan National Airport (DCA) in 2014, passenger traffic is up 38% and fares are down 12% on routes the airline flies nonstop. That’s above the industry’s nationwide average and is greater than the 31% passenger increase and 8% fare drop seen across all airline routes at DCA, Southwest says, citing publicly available federal data from the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Southwest says those trends are evidence of the “Southwest Effect” – a phenomenon in which fares fall and traffic rises once Southwest enters a new market.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/95964546
We have always contracted stuff out, and that will not change. We are like a high paid Wal-Mart.

Posted by Local TWU 567 President Rollie Reaves...

As discussed during Friday's conference call the Executive committee will be working in DC this week. No specific meeting times with the company have been set, that I am aware of. However, it has been made very clear on several occasions that when the company is prepared to discuss a full text scope proposal the Union will meet with them, any time, anywhere. Don't forget the Union passed our scope proposal months ago and have been waiting for an actual reply. Last week the company showed up in DC empty handed regarding scope and that is absolutely unacceptable. If any meetings do take place this week regarding scope I will let you know. The company Is aware the team is in DC and this is yet another opportunity for them to come to the table and negotiate! It is absolutely clear to me where your frustration should be aimed!

Go AMP!!!
Keep collecting them cards.
Mechanics represented by a mechanics professional representation.
Good luck and get'er done...

I have been in aviation 38 years. I have been in several unions over my career. IBT, UAW and IAM. I think it is about time we have one union that represents aviation maintenance technician at American Airlines. I also want the new union AMP to bring more information to Philadelphia. Having a card drive is good, but they need to educate the LUS side of the house on what they want and will do for our members. Remember we are all maintenance technicians regardless of what side of the company we came from. I personally are ready for some change!

I have been in aviation 38 years. I have been in several unions over my career. IBT, UAW and IAM. I think it is about time we have one union that represents aviation maintenance technician at American Airlines. I also want the new union AMP to bring more information to Philadelphia. Having a card drive is good, but they need to educate the LUS side of the house on what they want and will do for our members. Remember we are all maintenance technicians regardless of what side of the company we came from. I personally are ready for some change!

And Matt, you could help spread the word. AMP is very similar to AMFA as far as the way it works. You guys will be astonished, and even some overwhelmed on how much info will be given to the membership. And most will also be pleasantly surprised how much the membership will control the union and how involved they will be in all the day to day business.
AMP will be a mechanics union for mechanics as the #one priority. All the other "related" groups should have their very own and separate contracts to vote on for issues that pertain to them not the mechanics and vise-versa. It will benefit all groups this way. This is why the Pilots do it as well as F/A's. And look how much better the co. always treats them, hmmmm...
Matt, people are scared of change, and we were too here at SWA when we went to AMFA. But once AMFA was in up and running, the majority has always said, "wish we would have done it sooner". It's a matter of pulling the trigger, and that trigger will get pulled when the membership has had enough of being kept in the dark, lied to about voting on issues, taking it in the arse, and being constantly bullied by their very own union.
AMP may be new, but it will be the best thing the membership has ever done for the class and craft of the mechanics.
Good luck to you Matt, and all others involved with this card drive. I wish you all the very best and would love to see you guys get it done this time with AMP, the best choice for you guys to go with.

AMP, NO AFL-CIO affiliation. Strickly an AA union representating AA Title 1 and Title 2 members. Class and Craft union.
An inhouse start up similar to the AA pilots APA and the AA Flight Attendants APFA. If AMP succeeds we will be the third union on the property that's not tied to the AFL-CIO and represents a specific group of workers. APA and APFA did it successfully and now we need to do it. It's up to the membership if they want this badly enough. Now that I explained the highlights I'm sure the usual nay sayers are about to comment.

If your Title 1 or Title 2 LAA or LUS you need to get in on this facebook page for latest information and downloadable links. Ask any questions you may have. You will get answers quickly. https://www.facebook.com/groups/777379235789623/

Last edited:
AMP, NO AFL-CIO affiliation. Strickly an AA union representating AA Title 1 and Title 2 members. Class and Craft union.
An inhouse start up similar to the AA pilots APA and the AA Flight Attendants APFA. If AMP succeeds we will be the third union on the property that's not tied to the AFL-CIO and represents a specific group of workers. APA and APFA did it successfully and now we need to do it. It's up to the membership if they want this badly enough. Now that I explained the highlights I'm sure the usual nay sayers are about to comment.

If your Title 1 or Title 2 LAA or LUS you need to get in on this facebook page for latest information and downloadable links. Ask any questions you may have. You will get answers quickly. https://www.facebook.com/groups/777379235789623/

FYI, we reached out to our Pilots union and they have and still do help us out a great deal now that we are all in the same union hall. We have grown so much closer with our Pilots and it has been a win fall for both groups. Just wondering if you guys reached out to your Pilots group for advice or help, I would bet they would be willing. The reason I say Pilots is because we are very closely tied with the Pilots group. Takes them to fly them, but it takes us to pas an airworthy a/c off to them to fly. That's 2 very powerful positions...

Just wanted to let you guys know some info;
After our RS's in big D, both our union as well as our company is using all the airlines in their slide shows in our industry, they include Delta, AA, UAL, and Alaska. They are also including the current offer AA is getting, the 2% above industry highest that UAL will get, and the 3% raise coming to Delta in Oct. Our union is also including UPS and Fed Ex wage scales as comparos as we are all in the same industry rather you haul packages or passengers. Matter fact we airliner mechs do way more maint and heavy checks than UPS and FE.
Just wanted to pass this along to you guys so maybe when AMP takes over they can start comparing you guys with all the industry not just who your company wants to compare to.
RS's will continue until the 24th and then the voting will start and end I think by mid Sept with results. A lot more no votes are coming out. Good luck with your nego's...

After our RS's in big D, both our union as well as our company is using all the airlines in their slide shows in our industry, they include Delta, AA, UAL, and Alaska. They are also including the current offer AA is getting, the 2% above industry highest that UAL will get, and the 3% raise coming to Delta in Oct. Our union is also including UPS and Fed Ex wage scales as comparos as we are all in the same industry rather you haul packages or passengers. Matter fact we airliner mechs do way more maint and heavy checks than UPS and FE.
Just wanted to pass this along to you guys so maybe when AMP takes over they can start comparing you guys with all the industry not just who your company wants to compare to.
RS's will continue until the 24th and then the voting will start and end I think by mid Sept with results. A lot more no votes are coming out. Good luck with your nego's...

Can you post those wage comparisons. It would be interesting to see what those wages are and if we are all singing from the same book.

Swampy you might be disappointed if this passes. There are alot of silent yes votes, that people will just say they will vote no, when they will really vote yes. They say they will vote no because they do not want to hear the crap. I am sure the American Airlines guys know this well.

Over the last four weekends, I have had friends and/or relatives fly on my passes. Of those four, three of the trips they were met with over an hour delay either leaving to go on their destination or returning from it. On two of those trips, they had to change gates to board a different aircraft as the original one went out of service. Are they just unlucky, a coincidence, or a pattern? And this absolutely is not a shot at our maintenance guys, just curious, is this the New AA.