Aircraft maint issues

So is this the AA forum, WN or UPS?

The Southwest Airlines Mechanic (Swamp) who posts here has chosen to appoint himself the White Night defender to protect the American Airlines Mechanics against little old me and my opinions and the things I share to those people (Whether they like it or not) who work for the same Company and are in the same Union as me.

I personally (except Buck) am pretty well sure the people that are left reading here don’t want to read “daily” all the SWA back and forths when they can go over to the SWA thread and read or contribute for themselves? (Don’t think they’re Airline Forums Handicapped?)

Swamp had an agenda (AMFA) to sell here to another Company’s (A competitors) Employees and he’s upset that I may have shown a spotlight on that agenda.

Notice many posters here are gone. Time I finally learn to pay attention to all the individuals I have on the ignore feature.

What I have heard is that the Mechanics are finished and the Association is waiting on the Fleet Service.
You guys have seen the chatter about the Fleet Scope but Maintenance cannot settle without the Fleet.

That’s not what the Association update claims. But I have heard that you guys are further along currently on Scope now.

I think we were put on the back burner to take care of some of your issues and that’s why you’re ahead this time? (It goes back and forth)

Well that sucks why is that: you have separate contracts, are they amenable at the same time?

The separate contracts basically disappeared with the bankruptcy, as well as the ability of the TWU to have any function
outside of the existing contract, except contract maintenance. Look at the negotiations, the Local TWU presidents are
not allowed to participate in negotiations. It is only the NMB Mediators and the Associations.

According to the update weez posted the mechanics scope is nowhere near finished. The folks I speak with say the same. below are two parts of the latest update that confirm that the mechanics are not done.
Yes weez, I used your update post.

Quotations added by me to highlight the para's talking about mechanics work.
Deletion of other para's as to only highlight the scope issues still remain for mechanics as well as for all groups contained in these nego's.
So I would entail miles away still. What says you Buck???

"Company negotiators made it as clear as they could – they want us to concede the work we do. Their proposals and positions at the bargaining table attack every Association classification. They want to eliminate massive numbers of jobs in overhaul maintenance, increase the amount of line maintenance that can be performed by others internationally, decimate the skill and amount of facilities maintenance performed in-house, and vendor out any Fleet work they see fit. Every classification is affected by these draconian Company proposals."

The Mechanics are part of Title 1 of the TWU Title System, Overhaul Maintenance which use to include The "A&P Mechanics" both Line and Light and Heavy Maintenence in Tulsa and DWH, and Charlotte. There are Overhaul Mechanics and then Welders a variety of Machinists and their support, such as Blasting Machine Operators and Cleaning etc...Title II which is Facilities Maintenance and there are various Journeymen and their support. So a variety of "types" could be affected when the term Overhaul Maintenance is used.
If the company needs more A&P Mechanics, any one of the above could fall victim to an adjustment to headcount.

"Company negotiators made it as clear as they could – they want us to concede the work we do. Their proposals and positions at the bargaining table attack every Association classification. They want to eliminate massive numbers of jobs in overhaul maintenance, increase the amount of line maintenance that can be performed by others internationally, decimate the skill and amount of facilities maintenance performed in-house, and vendor out any Fleet work they see fit. Every classification is affected by these draconian Company proposals."

The Mechanics are part of Title 1 of the TWU Title System, Overhaul Maintenance which use to include The "A&P Mechanics" both Line and Light and Heavy Maintenence in Tulsa and DWH, and Charlotte. There are Overhaul Mechanics and then Welders a variety of Machinists and their support, such as Blasting Machine Operators and Cleaning etc...Title II which is Facilities Maintenance and there are various Journeymen and their support. So a variety of "types" could be affected when the term Overhaul Maintenance is used.
If the company needs more A&P Mechanics, any one of the above could fall victim to an adjustment to headcount.
So basically if you don't have an A&P you might not have a job. Or the company has the right to contract that out, and in the process depending on what American choose to do. Make all that separate of tech ops by making that a separate company and they become non union contractors. Or they just close that part and contract it out. If the membership accepted that scope change. That would explain the large amount of cash they are proposing.

The Southwest Airlines Mechanic (Swamp) who posts here has chosen to appoint himself the White Night defender to protect the American Airlines Mechanics against little old me and my opinions and the things I share to those people (Whether they like it or not) who work for the same Company and are in the same Union as me.

I personally (except Buck) am pretty well sure the people that are left reading here don’t want to read “daily” all the SWA back and forths when they can go over to the SWA thread and read or contribute for themselves? (Don’t think they’re Airline Forums Handicapped?)

Swamp had an agenda (AMFA) to sell here to another Company’s (A competitors) Employees and he’s upset that I may have shown a spotlight on that agenda.

Notice many posters here are gone. Time I finally learn to pay attention to all the individuals I have on the ignore feature.
Wow! You really are a dumb a$$. get a clue dude...

Reactions: Rogallo

Really? You got to be kidding me??

Since I am not thinking highly of myself, I will just say it is my position that any Aviation Mechanic is invited to participate in this forum as my guest, since I am a contributing member.
This also means that the forum is open to the public.

Since I am not thinking highly of myself, I will just say it is my position that any Aviation Mechanic is invited to participate in this forum as my guest, since I am a contributing member.
This also means that the forum is open to the public.

Buck the Moderators have informed multiple times that anyone can post anywhere they want on the boards. That means if a Burger King fry Chef came on and wanted to talk to any of us he or she wouldn’t be restricted to do so.

Anyway I’ve said my peace on that guy and some others that enough is enough and I’m going to try to not be tempted to peak when someone posts who now is on my ignore list.

BTW any time you guys talk AMT technology I steer very clear and stay in my lane. That’s not my area of experience and I wouldn’t even consider stepping in that shop.

Buck the Moderators have informed multiple times that anyone can post anywhere they want on the boards. That means if a Burger King fry Chef came on and wanted to talk to any of us he or she wouldn’t be restricted to do so.

Anyway I’ve said my peace on that guy and some others that enough is enough and I’m going to try to not be tempted to peak when someone posts who now is on my ignore list.

BTW any time you guys talk AMT technology I steer very clear and stay in my lane. That’s not my area of experience and I wouldn’t even consider stepping in that shop.
Thank God! About time...
We all know it won't last though.

Last edited:
I know of the IG doing their investigation at SWA. Pretty sure the FAA has or is doing theirs. Or maybe it stopped with the whistleblower filings, not sure 100% if FAA has conducted a full blown investigation but I think they have with results not favoring SWA. I do know our mechanics got their jobs back, got letters pulled from their files, and even management disciplined as far as being let go or at least "seeking other endeavors" as agreed to by both parties.
Only know of W.B. filed at AA, not sure of any investigations over there.

Through the grapevine the recent meeting with the company is they are willing to throw a bunch of money at the mechanics. In return they want to farm out all GSE and catering. Also as mechanics retire do not back fill the positions, so they can farm out more maintenance.

This is old news. The company wants to draw down the headcount in Facilities Maintenance, Automotive Maintenance/GSE, and Stores. Leading up to an eventual contracting out of those positions. This goes hand in hand with the Aircraft Maintenance increasing contracting out of overhaul mx, and the increase of foreign line mx checks in South America.

This is the same scenario that the NWA AMTs went on strike for. The catering is totally separate from mechanic and related issues.

This battle is futile, even if the company conceded to the Association, they are gonna do what they want on headcount headcount - one way or the other.
In the meantime, LAA AMTs are losing north of $30K per year in pay and benefits for "future headcount / dues payers".
Deep down, we all know the offer isn't going to be any better 2 years from now when we have a TA.

This is old news. The company wants to draw down the headcount in Facilities Maintenance, Automotive Maintenance/GSE, and Stores. Leading up to an eventual contracting out of those positions. This goes hand in hand with the Aircraft Maintenance increasing contracting out of overhaul mx, and the increase of foreign line mx checks in South America.

This is the same scenario that the NWA AMTs went on strike for. The catering is totally separate from mechanic and related issues.

This battle is futile, even if the company conceded to the Association, they are gonna do what they want on headcount headcount - one way or the other.
In the meantime, LAA AMTs are losing north of $30K per year in pay and benefits for "future headcount / dues payers".
Deep down, we all know the offer isn't going to be any better 2 years from now when we have a TA.
I hear you Vort last year we turned down a contract that kept our scope intact. The No voters rolled the dice, we would just go in there and ask for more money. Surprise, now the company wants some scope changes to pay for it. I know mechanics that point to UPS, those are Teamsters with a lot of members at UPS that can make a difference. We AMFA at SWA are kind of on are own, besides our lawsuits. Now guys are getting mad , and having buyer's remorse , the longer this goes on. It's almost to the point of a lost decade in earnings, if we go past August, we will be entertaining year 8!