Aircraft maint issues

No sir. Sokol was not the fall guy of the Trax fiasco. Sokol saw the writing on the wall, trust me I talked to him as others have before he left, in person. The Trax fiasco is on another man that is still here, and why? We all are wondering. But that was some time ago. Sokol was not removed, he removed himself...
Yes he did remove himself, however the guy that remains blamed Jim to stay.

Yes he did remove himself, however the guy that remains blamed Jim to stay.
Well of course he put the blame off on anyone to save his job.
Jim did not want to do to the mechanics what they all did since he has left. He refused to be a yes man for their agenda that we all just watch in horror for the past almost 7 years. And instead of a long tenured Southwest employee coming in and getting it done (McCrady) it took "the new guy" (Kinder) to come in from Alaska to get it done. That just makes McCrady look terrible. But, Kinder remembers where he came from and is still mechanic at heart, just like Sokol is, and why he was able to get it done.
Miss Jim since he left. Hearing is is still doing well and still in the transportation arena. I wish you and your family the best Jim. Thx for the fantastic years with us at Southwest. See you sometime soon.

Reactions: B737 driver
Too important? Those are your words, not mine.

Not sure where you are coming from. I don't remember advocating for a strike that there would ever be a need to replace those who picketed.
In fact, if you have been reading any of my posts - it would become more clear to you that I prefer in-house overhaul, but the consensus in the breakroom is we are done accepting less pay and benefits for future headcount.

So, your hypothetical strike scenario is a non starter anyway.
AAR? Anybody working there, is there for a reason. There will always be a few exceptions but; for the most part, this AAR talent is lacking an A&P license, can't pass a drug screen, can't pass a background check, or not enough experience for minimum requirement at a major.
Eagle? God bless them, if they wanted to, they would have already been here.
Spirit? Got a few of them already, only about 50 left.
School recruits? Lol,

Oh, and I do know what's out there. I get emails listing job openings for AMTs all over. They can not find people.

By the way you wrote “replaceable in small numbers maybe” then went on to say nobody wants these jobs. Good luck with that.

I get those emails also, but remember those are brokers who make money for job placement. It’s just like an Army recruiter or any recruiter. Just trying to get their numbers. Plus AA is hiring off the street.

Side note, I heard that on the west coast a couple of new hires went through indoc went through a320 genfam then took a job at UAL at the same airport. I guess 5 years of one week of vacation wasn’t appealing. I lwould like to be able to find out how many candidates look at other airlines because our contract is so bad compared to what other airlines are offering.

driver, it appears these guys are going thru the exact same playbook we went thru. If it is all true and remains the same they are only 1/2 way thru nego's unless this asso. can get some movement going. Hearing both sides are not moving at all, same spot we were at 2 plus years ago.

I worked with Jim Sokol at Dalfort/Braniff in 1985 and he was always a good person. I spoke with him after my SWA interview and he always seem to not forget about being a mechanic and their struggles.

Well of course he put the blame off on anyone to save his job.
Jim did not want to do to the mechanics what they all did since he has left. He refused to be a yes man for their agenda that we all just watch in horror for the past almost 7 years. And instead of a long tenured Southwest employee coming in and getting it done (McCrady) it took "the new guy" (Kinder) to come in from Alaska to get it done. That just makes McCrady look terrible. But, Kinder remembers where he came from and is still mechanic at heart, just like Sokol is, and why he was able to get it done.
Miss Jim since he left. Hearing is is still doing well and still in the transportation arena. I wish you and your family the best Jim. Thx for the fantastic years with us at Southwest. See you sometime soon.
Still friends with him on Facebook, he always treated me fair. Good guy.

Good, then those guys should work at UAL for a couple years then go to Fedex or Southwest since UAL topout will be $50.30 dayshift in 2 years from now compared to $57 at fedex-( will prob go up now that UPS is higher) and Southwest new deal at almost $62 in 5 or 6 years.

By the way you wrote “replaceable in small numbers maybe” then went on to say nobody wants these jobs. Good luck with that.

I get those emails also, but remember those are brokers who make money for job placement. It’s just like an Army recruiter or any recruiter. Just trying to get their numbers. Plus AA is hiring off the street.

Side note, I heard that on the west coast a couple of new hires went through indoc went through a320 genfam then took a job at UAL at the same airport. I guess 5 years of one week of vacation wasn’t appealing. I lwould like to be able to find out how many candidates look at other airlines because our contract is so bad compared to what other airlines are offering.

Reactions: B737 driver
From what I am hearing the company is playing the same games they have in the past. They came to negotiations unprepared to talk about anything and did not bring anyone that could make a decision. The company even had the arrogance to delay negs for 2 hours on wed so that they could have a conference call about negs. Of all the time they had between the last 2 neg sessions they couldn't have done it then. The iam asked them what would they get in return for them giving up their medical? The company replied nothing we want more concessions. The mediator went to headquarters to talk to parker,isom and another guy that I can't remember his name offhand but he was the one that had the childish temper tantrum in negs awhile back. I don't know what they talked about but I would assume that they are tired of the company dragging its feet. The first year of the delay I blame completely on the ass but ever since then is on the company.

From what I am hearing the company is playing the same games they have in the past. They came to negotiations unprepared to talk about anything and did not bring anyone that could make a decision. The company even had the arrogance to delay negs for 2 hours on wed so that they could have a conference call about negs. Of all the time they had between the last 2 neg sessions they couldn't have done it then. The iam asked them what would they get in return for them giving up their medical? The company replied nothing we want more concessions. The mediator went to headquarters to talk to parker,isom and another guy that I can't remember his name offhand but he was the one that had the childish temper tantrum in negs awhile back. I don't know what they talked about but I would assume that they are tired of the company dragging its feet. The first year of the delay I blame completely on the ass but ever since then is on the company.
This is not negotiating, this is the management dictatorship! I’m personally sick of the games being played. We need full blown work smarter, safer and by the book. No more OT or road trips. Wake up Association we are not going to get what we want unless we stand strong.

Reactions: swamt
767 all you guys,have to do is not take shortcuts, it's your A&P . Still do the overtime and roadtrips , if it's broke, it's broke. That way your union if it gets sued you can prove everything was legit.

The bottom line is this: THE COMPANY WILL NOT BUDGE OFF THEIR SCOPE STANCE AND NEITHER WILL THE UNION.
This equals stalemate......We might be going for the SWA negoatiations record.
But remember this. If we ever got to the point where a strike is imminent....Just remember that we are under the RLA. This is not 1966 where the IAM shut the nation down and the government stepped in.
Things will not play out the same way next time.
I invite everyone to research the entire RLA negotiating process. Once the mediator throws up his or her hands and says "We're outta here," the next step is arbitration ONLY IF both parties agree. The union will NOT because they know what will happen.

And just remember this last final tidbit. IF we were to strike, the company would be free to impose terms and REPLACE.

Last edited:

Stephen Johnson

We need full blown work smarter, safer and by the book. No more OT or road trips. Wake up Association we are not going to get what we want unless we stand strong.

That would be a great game plan, but finding team members willing to play ain't gonna happen.

Wasn't that temper tantrum done by your VP of Labor or Maint.? I remember because it was right after our very own VP of Labor did the same at our nego's. Not even a month apart.

Latest posts