Aircraft maint issues

Discussion in 'American Airlines' started by conehead777, Feb 15, 2017.

1. bigjets

bigjets Veteran

To be a little clearer, AA does the most in house maintenance of any airline, period.

I believe if SWA culture called for no outsourcing or very little, SWA would be making the same as all other AMTs I’m sure someone knows mechanics per aircraft numbers. That would probably would be a better scale, but then again SWA just works on 737s, while the other airline AMTs work multiple fleet types including wide bodies.

One good thing about the TWU and AA, they have been able to keep work in house, along with competitive wages, only for this association to come along and well we all know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. 1AA

1AA Veteran

• Like Like x 1
  3. swamt

swamt Veteran

You are absolutely correct. Just as an example, in our cases at SWA, we mechanics are missing out on 7 years of compounding growth within our 401K's, retirement and profit sharing accounts. Never to be made up for again. Yea we are getting the matches put in after we get all the retro checks and bonuses, but we still missed out on the past 7 years of growth with that money not being there that we will never make up for. That the part that pisses me off the most about this long wait, not so much the hourly rate.
    In an honest guess, I am out easily 7-10K per year with the boom we have had in the markets as well as the record upon record profitable quarters as of late.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. MetalMover

MetalMover Veteran

#7894 MetalMover, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Funny thing is there are those who would be more than happy to wait forever for a contract without gaining anything just to say “WE SHOWED THEM!”

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. chilokie1

chilokie1 Senior

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. bigjets

bigjets Veteran

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. B737 driver

B737 driver Veteran

The sad thing is the TWU/IAM will continue to do fine, because they have other revenue from other Airlines, or other companies and organized labor groups they represent. You guys continue to lose money, until this is resolved. We always remained professional, and if there was a lawsuit filed by SWA, we had countermeasures. Sitto screwed you guys from his unprofessional behavior, and played right into American Airlines hands.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. 1AA

1AA Veteran

Sito who? We never hear from this guy. I wonder if he really exists?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. swamt

swamt Veteran

Yes. We had those too. However, when the co. is wanting to dismantle the scope sometimes you have no choice but to wait it out as we did. No happy about it but we did save scope. Scope and full retro was the top two items for the membership. Others go down the list that we did gain with as well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 1986Mekanic

1986Mekanic Veteran

Gotta agree with you on this one, never seen the guy, I have e no idea what he looks like.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. 1986Mekanic

1986Mekanic Veteran

I don't care about no stinking scope, I'm leaving in a few years anyway...

How people forget, when I hired on years ago, everyone of us new hires were bent at the A scalers because those were the guys that voted in the B and C scale and they were all retiring leaving us to live with what they gave us.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 2
  12. bigjets

bigjets Veteran

I know what Samuelson did, what did Sitti do?

13. bigjets

bigjets Veteran

Yep we showed AA by not taking pay raises in 2008 and 2010 (over $70k in cash alone) because it wasn’t restore and more. But I’m going to work all the OT I can and take their money.

Direct quotes from AFW mechanics as they were working in ORD as mechanics junior to them were in DFW and DWH.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. bigjets

bigjets Veteran

The thing is, with a scope the company wants (which will be better then all other airlines) those affected by new scope won’t even be at AA or association.

What the A scalers did was bring in new mechanics at half their pay for 10 years working side by side with them. At the time all airlines did their own maint and what our AA scalers did was bring a new era for all airlines to pay new people less to enrich themselves. Then in 2012 voted in Bk contract, took the buyout and left AA and then turned around and sued to get some of our equity.

So not really the same as the A scalers. the the mechs affected negatively by this contract will never even know it, because they will never be hired by AA or pay dues to the association. Unlike all us B scalers.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. 1986Mekanic

1986Mekanic Veteran

It is somewhat the same and some of the reasons are the new guys will have even less opportunity for shift and days off due to reduced scope. Their medical will be more. They wont get profit sharing in line with folks at other airlines. Their vacation weeks will be less. And theres more in ac maint and what about facilities and stores... Gone...

• Agree Agree x 1