AMFA Local 5

Welcome to the airline ‘culture’.
Many of my peers attempted to do exactly as you state only to be beaten down to follow a dysfunctional culture that has been a scourge to the industry. Old school mentality and superiority complexes proliferate in this industry. The people that ‘should’ move up have the intelligence to see that the ‘culture’ would not allow them to make the necessary changes and the stress/self sacrifice to attempt to move a mountain with a hand truck is not worth the effort.

Been There/Done That/No T’shirt…………..
B) UT

Well said UT.

I have to agree here one hundred percent. Something has always puzzled me about this whole situation....there are many who have worked for NWA for 20, 30, or even 40 years, yet still do nothing but complain about how horrible it has ALWAYS been. Why work for so long for a company you hate? Why not take the initiative and work your way up the chain of command untill your in a position to make more positive changes. I understand why you may reply that that is what unions are all about, making changes for the better, and in some cases, in the first part of the last century, I would agree. But I believe, in modern times, that approach wont work anymore. The change we need is the replacement of management with LEADERS! Men will follow a true LEADER to hell and back, simply because they believe in him! They wont whine and say "Thats not in my contract". They wont hide behind contractual legalese. They will give 110 percent, instead of "just enough to get by". They will take on all challenges and will not except failure as an option.
On the flip side of the coin,a LEADER will be out there with the troops in the mud, the blood, and the beer. He wont ask anything of his men that he is unwilling to do himself. He WILL LEAD BY EXAMPLE! He will except all responsibility for the actions and failure of his crew. He will give all credit for success to his men. His priorities will be mission accomplishment, the welfare of his troops, and his own well being...IN THAT ORDER!
So the question remains.....why didnt these 20-30 year employees replace inept management, step up to the plate,and become LEADERS?

So what about this scenerio:

Two sides declare war. Some people from one side decide to go over to the other side and fight on that side.

So what does that make him?

Bennedict Arnold?

Welcome to the airline ‘culture’.
Many of my peers attempted to do exactly as you state only to be beaten down to follow a dysfunctional culture that has been a scourge to the industry. Old school mentality and superiority complexes proliferate in this industry. The people that ‘should’ move up have the intelligence to see that the ‘culture’ would not allow them to make the necessary changes and the stress/self sacrifice to attempt to move a mountain with a hand truck is not worth the effort.

Been There/Done That/No T’shirt…………..
B) UT
Very good post..I shall ponder it carefully....

So what about this scenerio:

Two sides declare war. Some people from one side decide to go over to the other side and fight on that side.

So what does that make him?

Bennedict Arnold?
Why not just end the damn war, and find a way to make it work? As I have said before, I cannot for the life of me see how this company managed to stay in business as long as it has with so many factions at war with themselves. Is this common to all the majors, or is it just at NWA? Is it a union issue, or a lack of leadership, or both? There has GOT to be a way to find common ground here.

:wacko:
Very good post..I shall ponder it carefully....
Why not just end the damn war, and find a way to make it work? As I have said before, I cannot for the life of me see how this company managed to stay in business as long as it has with so many factions at war with themselves. Is this common to all the majors, or is it just at NWA? Is it a union issue, or a lack of leadership, or both? There has GOT to be a way to find common ground here.

Working in/with/inside this ‘culture’, I opine that this condition is endemic of all legacy airlines.

To use a recent example of this mindset, take this into consideration:

Aircraft out of service, technician stays an additional 20 minutes after shift to brief/discuss the problem with the next shift to correct the problem. The next week, this same technician clocks in 1 minute late and is given counseling.

After much conversation with the supervisor (waste of time), the ‘super’ reads you back your own contract and docks you 1 minute pay and gives you a warning letter.

Welcome to ‘the culture’! :wacko:

Working in/with/inside this ‘culture’, I opine that this condition is endemic of all legacy airlines.

To use a recent example of this mindset, take this into consideration:

Aircraft out of service, technician stays an additional 20 minutes after shift to brief/discuss the problem with the next shift to correct the problem. The next week, this same technician clocks in 1 minute late and is given counseling.

After much conversation with the supervisor (waste of time), the ‘super’ reads you back your own contract and docks you 1 minute pay and gives you a warning letter.
Gotta agree with ya here..I myself have seen such scenerios dozens of times, in all walks of life. I know as a lead and manager in other facilities, I took a HELL of alot better care of my people than that. I always took the position that if you summed up a workers entire performance, including skills, training, experience, attitude, dedication, etc., he (or she) will be determined to be either an asset, or a liability. Liabilities I removed from my team as soon as possible. Assets I protected and took care of to the best of my ability, and did all in my power to reward them. If nothing else, it makes good business sense, as you eliminate poor work performance, and encourage positive performance.

Why not just end the damn war, and find a way to make it work?
I would venture to guess that if this type of philosophy quoted by Herb were to permeate through out the Industry and Buisness in general, much harmony and fruit would bear, not to say that all ills would magically be cured, but it's a great place to start...JMHO!

“If the employees come first, then they're happy, ... A motivated employee treats the customer well. The customer is happy so they keep coming back, which pleases the shareholders. It's not one of the enduring Green mysteries of all time, it is just the way it works.â€￾
~ Herb Kelleher

I would venture to guess that if this type of philosophy quoted by Herb were to permeate through out the Industry and Buisness in general, much harmony and fruit would bear, not to say that all ills would magically be cured, but it's a great place to start...JMHO!

“If the employees come first, then they're happy, ... A motivated employee treats the customer well. The customer is happy so they keep coming back, which pleases the shareholders. It's not one of the enduring Green mysteries of all time, it is just the way it works.â€￾
~ Herb Kelleher
I definately agree....to a point. We both know that there are some workers who are basically miserable bastards who will NEVER be happy. I see no reason to cuddle such types. One the other hand, We all probably can think of one or two workers, who, despite any personel, professional, or other problems, continue to give 110 percent. I feel these should be rewarded above those who merely punch a clock, do their job, than go home. Dont get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with that, and I would venture to guess that that is the way MOST every day Joes are. I just dont feel we should lump all 3 groups under the same "Tent" as it were.

I definately agree....to a point. We both know that there are some workers who are basically miserable bastards who will NEVER be happy. I see no reason to cuddle such types. One the other hand, We all probably can think of one or two workers, who, despite any personel, professional, or other problems, continue to give 110 percent. I feel these should be rewarded above those who merely punch a clock, do their job, than go home. Dont get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with that, and I would venture to guess that that is the way MOST every day Joes are. I just dont feel we should lump all 3 groups under the same "Tent" as it were.
Divide and Conquer. That's the strategy and it worked! You got people fighting amongst each other. This is why it is how it is today. Probably next year everyone will be working together, holding hands in harmony after listening to repititious company propaganda and finally having a corporate vision instilled to every new employee- merged company or not.

Sounds exactly like the nwa DTW base. Guess the legacys are too mired in their own red tape mess to see what it takes to keep people productive AND happy!

:lol: I must say that you are indeed correct here. They even tied their own hands with their own imposed contract. :lol:
SCAB AND YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A SCAB
I must say that Iam indeed correct here. :lol:
At your own hands with your imposed views of right and wrong you are a SCAB. :lol:

To My Union Brothers At AMFA I HOPE THE BEST...
Iam IBT But You Are Still Union Brothers Stay Strong!!!!

Latest posts

Back