Delta Plane on Firea at ATL

What happened to the tail cone slide, FAA should be on top of that.
Was this some of that outsourced maintenance?

Reactions: 1 person
What happened to the tail cone slide, FAA should be on top of that.
Was this some of that outsourced maintenance?
No... That is designed to do that. The cone is jettisoned to expose the escape stairs/slide .The "fire" was a blown tire I believe.

When the tail cone is deployed the slide should blow. No way around it. Im sure someone will be getting asked about it.
You are right about that. But as I recall (it's been years)It can be a two step process ... cone then slide. There are no other slides deployed and Who ordered an evacuation? I suspect someone was trying to lower the rear stairs without deploying the slide and jettisoned the cone instead .There is a lever that is hard to see that does that from inside but is hard to find.(lowering the stairs from inside without blowing the slide)

You are right about that. But as I recall (it's been years)It can be a two step process ... cone then slide. There are no other slides deployed and Who ordered an evacuation? I suspect someone was trying to lower the rear stairs without deploying the slide and jettisoned the cone instead .There is a lever that is hard to see that does that from inside but is hard to find.(lowering the stairs from inside without blowing the slide)
Was at NWA when we had our tail cone incident that triggered an AD and a foreman to do some tail cone "training". Lesson learned was... do not pencil whip pull test readings on tail cone deploy handles and slide deployment. Slide should have deployed upon tail cone release.

IIRC, slide should deploy with the pins releasing in an order that ensures the cone to roll to the side to prevent the cone from being in the way of the slide as it unfolds to the ground.

All of the above requires an RII sign-off...(that I used to have to accomplish on the DC-9...never did an MD-80)

Reactions: 2 people
Was at NWA when we had our tail cone incident that triggered an AD and a foreman to do some tail cone "training". Lesson learned was... do not pencil whip pull test readings on tail cone deploy handles and slide deployment. Slide should have deployed upon tail cone release.

IIRC, slide should deploy with the pins releasing in an order that ensures the cone to roll to the side to prevent the cone from being in the way of the slide as it unfolds to the ground.

All of the above requires an RII sign-off...(that I used to have to accomplish on the DC-9...never did an MD-80)
[/
All true...But if the Door is disarmed the slide will not blow. If you pull the handle the tail is jettisoned ...you use the lever the stairs go down. I just wonder if that is what happened.I do not see an emergency evac here.

Without knowing exactly how everything works back there you will not be able to open the stairs. There is a lever on the right side of the A/C that can be kicked to lower the stairs, but I guarantee you a FA wont have any clue what they are looking for.

Without knowing exactly how everything works back there you will not be able to open the stairs. There is a lever on the right side of the A/C that can be kicked to lower the stairs, but I guarantee you a FA wont have any clue what they are looking for.
Right again. That is the point I was trying to make. Pilots and Mech. are the only ones that are trained on Where that lever is. My guess is that one of the pilots trying to exit the a/c to check on rhat blown tire used the wrong exit switich.They used the normal exit door handle but wrong lever to lower stairs.

Makes sense. Disarmed the door, popped the tail cone instead of the stair release. As agents, we weren't allowed to touch that on the MD80. On the 727, it was dirt easy to figure out how to lower the stairs...

Reactions: 1 person
... but I guarantee you a FA wont have any clue what they are looking for.

At AA, we were given training on how to lower the stairs without blowing the slide. You disarm the door, open it, and pull a lever in the tail section. I'm not sure why we got the training because I have never had an occasion to blow the slide, much less lower the stairs. The only people who ever use the aft stairs are the rampers, and they lower them from the outside.