Delta Plane on Firea at ATL

Wrong. There is a kevlar rope physically connecting the tailcone to the slide bundle. Tailcone falls, pin gets pulled. Its as simple as that.
Thanks Mech.

I thought that was the case. I cannot envision any case where you would want the tailcone to drop without a slide deployment unless it was in a hangar environment doing some sort of check.

Reactions: 1 person
Thanks Mech.

I thought that was the case. I cannot envision any case where you would want the tailcone to drop without a slide deployment unless it was in a hangar environment doing some sort of check.

No problem.

I got to take a look at the plane last night, what a mess.

No problem.

I remember the mod when we put the padding on the canted frame to stop the people from cracking their forehead on it while trying to exit via the tail slide. That came after the NWA incident in DTW. Bad scene.
The rear jumpseat flight attendant and a passenger died from smoke inhalation; the flight attendant was found on the catwalk inside the tailcone below the release handle, and the passenger was found partially lying on the tailcone release slide. The tailcone had not been jettisoned.[3]

...Contributing to the fatalities in the accident was the inoperability of the DC-9 internal tail cone release mechanism. Contributing to the number and severity of injuries was the failure of the crew of the DC-9 to properly execute the passenger evacuation.

Wiki source

After that is when the Inspector and Foreman that had signed-off the tailcone pull check had to develop a training plan for NWA on proper tail cone procedures. The guy also lost his A&P for a while. I remember when the test was done in ATL on the fleet as they came through. Many ended up with handles breaking off in our hands without a tailcone release. Many AD's came from that incident on the DC-9 tailcone assembly and release mechanism.

No problem.

By the way we are talking about two different levers . One by your feet and one that you refer to one the panel. The one by your feet is probably connected to the external airstairs . Whether the slide package falls out when the tail cone drops I don't recall but you should not deploy the slide unless it is armed or you pull the handle. My understanding is that if the plane is on its belly you would not want the rear slide to be deployed.

By the way we are talking about two different levers . One by your feet and one that you refer to one the panel. The one by your feet is probably connected to the external airstairs . Whether the slide package falls out when the tail cone drops I don't recall but you should not deploy the slide unless it is armed or you pull the handle. My understanding is that if the plane is on its belly you would not want the rear slide to be deployed.
The lever that we used to kick to open the stairs is the lever that is cable connected to the external air stair opening handle.
There is also the catwalk sequence that is tied to the stair opening.