DL creates LAX-SFO Shuttle

For affected employees, you had the option of:

Exercising your seniority on the system
Retiring (IIRC, your severance weeks counted as service credit towards your pension)
Taking the layoff (double severance)
You could apply for a job with the contractor, but honestly don't think very many did.

indeed, because those have been fairly standard terms within the airline industry with the only difference being that NW did not retain a city as an AW station which meant that city was closed.

DL, OTOH, retained many more stations as AW which meant that a BW employee could displace someone from the counter/gates.

In fact, 7.5 IIRC was an ENTIRE ACS event - not just AW or BW - so there were BW people who exercised their seniority to remain in a city as an AW agent, pushing out a lower seniority AW agent. Most of the people who went to res moved out within a few years and had more choices later after the company stabilized.

Many of the AW agents chose to go to res offices and the company was happy for them to go because they were already well-trained in the res system.

7.5 was almost 20 years ago and DL did not have any widespread closures of stations in BK as other airlines did - and as other airlines are doing now, even post BK.

Most airlines did not and do not now allow the degree of movement between AW and BW that DL has done and still does - but it provides options, even in light of changes that continue to affect the airport operation perhaps moreso than other parts of the company.

Again, DL and NW had different ways to reach their means but every plus that you could find with one system leaves something else that is a negative with the other and vice versa.

Both systems worked for their employees at the time and DL's system works today.

There were benefits and drawbacks to both systems but both are history now. The focus is on where DL is WRT to small and medium station staffing with a common desire to create as many full-time jobs for Delta employees as possible while keeping DL with the best customer service and the most competitive costs.

Reactions: 2 people
since the topic of insourcing/outsourcing of the ramp is a recurring subject, let me further explain my position.

I want to see more activity on this board and I want the people who have participated on this forum to continue to do so without feeling like they are having shovelfuls of dirt thrown in their face.

But the topic of ramp insourcing/outsourcing as well as overhaul outsourcing is rarely discussed in a balanced perspective.

I appreciate that NW and the IAM worked differently and that there were people who were not impacted because of the work the IAM did - and I am happy for those successes.

But it is equally true that DL's system had its own successes and impacted people differently. DL's long-time approach to AW and BW work areas as more interchangeable than at other carriers and its preference for maintaining DL mainline personnel AW has allowed DL people to remain in stations that NW closed because the formula was "all or none."

Second, many of these discussions fail to recognize that DL did its "dirty work" in ACS 20 years ago and has made no major strategic changes to what cities have DL personnel vs. those that do not. In contrast, other airlines made dramatic changes to their airport staffing practices in BK and continue to do so even post BK.

Third, DL has stated that they have a preference for AW staffing with its own personnel just as they have also doing engine work inhouse while outsourcing overhauls. For the people who work in airframe overhauls or on the ramp, that reality is not necessarily welcoming. But DL has provided a means to protect its current people at the airport, provided mechanisms to transition to areas of the company where they intend to retain their own people (and perhaps grow their presence in those areas), and maintain locations that other airlines are removing because they don't see the same value in their own people in small/medium size locations. Finally on this point, DL insources significant amounts of RJ work to its own employees that other airlines keep with regional carriers.

Balance is not easy when talking about personal issues like this but it is the only way to continue to talk about them on an open forum and meet various perspectives.

My desire is that the DL forum continue to grow and I am pleased to have seen the activity increase in recent weeks and I hope it will continue to do so.

since the topic of insourcing/outsourcing of the ramp is a recurring subject, let me further explain my position.

I want to see more activity on this board and I want the people who have participated on this forum to continue to do so without feeling like they are having shovelfuls of dirt thrown in their face.

But the topic of ramp insourcing/outsourcing as well as overhaul outsourcing is rarely discussed in a balanced perspective.

I appreciate that NW and the IAM worked differently and that there were people who were not impacted because of the work the IAM did - and I am happy for those successes.

But it is equally true that DL's system had its own successes and impacted people differently. DL's long-time approach to AW and BW work areas as more interchangeable than at other carriers and its preference for maintaining DL mainline personnel AW has allowed DL people to remain in stations that NW closed because the formula was "all or none."

Second, many of these discussions fail to recognize that DL did its "dirty work" in ACS 20 years ago and has made no major strategic changes to what cities have DL personnel vs. those that do not. In contrast, other airlines made dramatic changes to their airport staffing practices in BK and continue to do so even post BK.

Third, DL has stated that they have a preference for AW staffing with its own personnel just as they have also doing engine work inhouse while outsourcing overhauls. For the people who work in airframe overhauls or on the ramp, that reality is not necessarily welcoming. But DL has provided a means to protect its current people at the airport, provided mechanisms to transition to areas of the company where they intend to retain their own people (and perhaps grow their presence in those areas), and maintain locations that other airlines are removing because they don't see the same value in their own people in small/medium size locations. Finally on this point, DL insources significant amounts of RJ work to its own employees that other airlines keep with regional carriers.

Balance is not easy when talking about personal issues like this but it is the only way to continue to talk about them on an open forum and meet various perspectives.

My desire is that the DL forum continue to grow and I am pleased to have seen the activity increase in recent weeks and I hope it will continue to do so.
I repect your position, but......during the tough times both companies were aided by the sacrifices the employees made during 7.5 and both BK's, now it's time to do the right thing and let mainline employees work in some of the larger stations that are currently contracted out.

I do not expect stations that are mostly RJ's, or have a few flights a day to be reopened to mainline employees.

Now the "Delta Opening Station" headlines would ring true on the company's employee website instead of what they did by opening below wing and above wing positions in PMNW stations (minus SLC & SJU).

Their is no corporate policy (that I know of) stating the parameters of mainline employees being able to work a D E L T A station. I would love to hear someone in ATL clarify this.

PS: The "DL did its "dirty work" in ACS 20 years ago" (and not 8 years ago?)................. left a stain.

I do not expect stations that are mostly RJ's, or have a few flights a day to be reopened to mainline employees.

Me either. But like I said earlier, I'll take 'em seriously when places like RDU/CLT/SAN/MIA are (re)opened. Until then, all the talk of "insourcing" is a joke.

As for Above Wing, why not? Have you seen some of the stations that are currently staffed w/DL employees? Take a look-see at places like ALB/MOB/TLH when you have a sec. All are staffed with dept. 125 people...

Now the "Delta Opening Station" headlines would ring true on the company's employee website instead of what they did by opening below wing and above wing positions in PMNW stations (minus SLC & SJU).

+1

Their is no corporate policy (that I know of) stating the parameters of mainline employees being able to work a D E L T A station. I would love to hear someone in ATL clarify this.

I would too, but then again, would it matter? When they can change "anything at anytime, for any reason," parameters just become blurred lines...

Reactions: 1 person
I appreciate both of you continuing this conversation which is difficult, but because it seems to continue to occur is worth discussing at a level sufficient to PERHAPS come to some sort of conclusion.
In my opinion, which some will not consider as having any value, the central issue is remains that DL is the surviving airline in a merger which is now approaching five years old. There continue to be people who have asserted since the merger was announced that DL’s way of doing business is not correct based on a comparison of the way it was done at NW.

Let’s be brutally honest and admit together that Northwest Airlines agreed to a merger with Delta Air Lines in which NW’s board and mgmt gave DL incredibly broad authority for DL to retain DL’s headquarters and name and for the board to predominantly composed of former DL members. In practice, DL and NW people are represented both on the board and at all levels of the company but there is no doubt that DL automation, procedures, and culture survived. UA and CO did not follow the same type of pattern. It isn’t clear exactly how AA-US will play out but it appears that mgmt will be heavily biased to US while HDQ location and name will be biased to AA. DL’s merger with NW is much similar to WN’s merger with FL in terms of the level of control the surviving carrier gained.

As much as any of us would like to argue about details, the central issue is one of control by the surviving company.

No one doubts the contributions that FL and its people made to the industry and neither does anyone doubt what Northwest Airlines contributed or what they have brought to Delta.

WRT personnel policies, DL’s policies are distinctly different from NW’s. DL made the decision 20 years ago to have its own people at airport locations while outsourcing the ramp. Kev has made the point before that DL started “the race to the bottom” with its outsourcing of the ramp and there is some element of truth to that among US legacy carriers. However, the practice, as we have seen is common in other countries, and among other carriers in the US. Even among very successful low cost carriers which both have long histories, WN is at one end of the scale in retaining jobs inhouse while AS has been far more aggressive at outsourcing.

I’m not honestly sure if any other legacy airlines currently have the same policy as NW of agreeing to have AW and BW either both inhouse or outsourced but DL decided 20 years ago to break that link.
Lifer, I am not at all trying to be offensive to you or any other PMNW employee or those of any other, but the simple fact is that 7.5 was an intensely painful period for DL but DL did those major cuts in BK WRT to what cities were outsourced or maintained inhouse while other carriers wrestled with the issue in BK or after. IN reality, DL was probably able to do 7.5 because its people were not unionized because making a change that large at a unionized company would have required either union approval – highly unlikely outside of BK – or the power of BK to modify the agreements.

At the same time, DL’s decision to retain its own personnel in many medium sized and small cities has left DL people in locations where other airlines have not retained them. DL’s policy of allowing employees to move between work areas has long been easier than at more heavily unionized airlines.

Nonetheless, DL has made a clear decision to have its own people in customer-facing positions while outsourcing in the same locations. It is not a reasonable expectation based on 20 years of DL’s history or statements of DL execs to expect that DL will place BW people in the same locations where it has its own people, regardless of how small some of those cities are with AW DL personnel compared to cities that have outsourced ramp.

DL’s policies allowed many BW people to move into AW areas and that continues to be the case.
My desire is and will always be that DL would move toward more and more locations for its own people in as many work areas of the company but it is very hard to expect DL to add its own people when other airlines continue to outsource BW work, including at WN who is doing it for the first time.

The best opportunity to add DL people to stations that don’t have them now is thru DL’s strategy of using the 717 to replace regional jet flying. Traffic statistics show that DL has been one of the most aggressive airlines in removing regional carrier capacity and replacing it with mainline flying. Although any airline can change their fleet plan at any time, no other airline currently has the fleet choices DL has which should make it possible for DL to put its mainline aircraft in places where other carriers cannot viable do so.

I am very aware of the dissonance that DL’s policies and the merger have created and I would very much like for everyone to succeed and end up happy. But life doesn’t usually work that way. Given DL’s stated intentions, it is likely that some people will continue to be dissatisfied with DL’s choices.
To the degree that any of us can influence the outcome of the situation or our collective understanding of the dynamics that are at play, there is value in continuing to discuss the issue with the hope that at least on this forum, we can come to a common understanding, even if we can’t change the outcome in actuality.

I appreciate both of you continuing this conversation which is difficult, but because it seems to continue to occur is worth discussing at a level sufficient to PERHAPS come to some sort of conclusion.
In my opinion, which some will not consider as having any value, the central issue is remains that DL is the surviving airline in a merger which is now approaching five years old. There continue to be people who have asserted since the merger was announced that DL’s way of doing business is not correct based on a comparison of the way it was done at NW.

Let’s be brutally honest and admit together that Northwest Airlines agreed to a merger with Delta Air Lines in which NW’s board and mgmt gave DL incredibly broad authority for DL to retain DL’s headquarters and name and for the board to predominantly composed of former DL members. In practice, DL and NW people are represented both on the board and at all levels of the company but there is no doubt that DL automation, procedures, and culture survived. UA and CO did not follow the same type of pattern. It isn’t clear exactly how AA-US will play out but it appears that mgmt will be heavily biased to US while HDQ location and name will be biased to AA. DL’s merger with NW is much similar to WN’s merger with FL in terms of the level of control the surviving carrier gained.

As much as any of us would like to argue about details, the central issue is one of control by the surviving company.

No one doubts the contributions that FL and its people made to the industry and neither does anyone doubt what Northwest Airlines contributed or what they have brought to Delta.

WRT personnel policies, DL’s policies are distinctly different from NW’s. DL made the decision 20 years ago to have its own people at airport locations while outsourcing the ramp. Kev has made the point before that DL started “the race to the bottom” with its outsourcing of the ramp and there is some element of truth to that among US legacy carriers. However, the practice, as we have seen is common in other countries, and among other carriers in the US. Even among very successful low cost carriers which both have long histories, WN is at one end of the scale in retaining jobs inhouse while AS has been far more aggressive at outsourcing.

I’m not honestly sure if any other legacy airlines currently have the same policy as NW of agreeing to have AW and BW either both inhouse or outsourced but DL decided 20 years ago to break that link.
Lifer, I am not at all trying to be offensive to you or any other PMNW employee or those of any other, but the simple fact is that 7.5 was an intensely painful period for DL but DL did those major cuts in BK WRT to what cities were outsourced or maintained inhouse while other carriers wrestled with the issue in BK or after. IN reality, DL was probably able to do 7.5 because its people were not unionized because making a change that large at a unionized company would have required either union approval – highly unlikely outside of BK – or the power of BK to modify the agreements.

At the same time, DL’s decision to retain its own personnel in many medium sized and small cities has left DL people in locations where other airlines have not retained them. DL’s policy of allowing employees to move between work areas has long been easier than at more heavily unionized airlines.

Nonetheless, DL has made a clear decision to have its own people in customer-facing positions while outsourcing in the same locations. It is not a reasonable expectation based on 20 years of DL’s history or statements of DL execs to expect that DL will place BW people in the same locations where it has its own people, regardless of how small some of those cities are with AW DL personnel compared to cities that have outsourced ramp.

DL’s policies allowed many BW people to move into AW areas and that continues to be the case.
My desire is and will always be that DL would move toward more and more locations for its own people in as many work areas of the company but it is very hard to expect DL to add its own people when other airlines continue to outsource BW work, including at WN who is doing it for the first time.

The best opportunity to add DL people to stations that don’t have them now is thru DL’s strategy of using the 717 to replace regional jet flying. Traffic statistics show that DL has been one of the most aggressive airlines in removing regional carrier capacity and replacing it with mainline flying. Although any airline can change their fleet plan at any time, no other airline currently has the fleet choices DL has which should make it possible for DL to put its mainline aircraft in places where other carriers cannot viable do so.

I am very aware of the dissonance that DL’s policies and the merger have created and I would very much like for everyone to succeed and end up happy. But life doesn’t usually work that way. Given DL’s stated intentions, it is likely that some people will continue to be dissatisfied with DL’s choices.
To the degree that any of us can influence the outcome of the situation or our collective understanding of the dynamics that are at play, there is value in continuing to discuss the issue with the hope that at least on this forum, we can come to a common understanding, even if we can’t change the outcome in actuality.

"The best opportunity to add DL people to stations that don’t have them now is thru DL’s strategy of using the 717 to replace regional jet flying."

D E L T A

MIA DEPARTURES (19)

FLT A/C
749 MD88

1460 A320

1746 MD88

566 MD88

902 MD88

2173 MD88

2373 MD90

32 MD88

64 MD88

08 MD88

1187 A320

2229 B738

2122 MD88

1671 A320

82 A320

2003 MD88

874 A319

2098 MD88

1982 MD88

No RJ's here, I guess MIA is outta luck :blush:?

Adding people to cities that do not have currently have DL people would almost certainly mean adding AW people. MIA has DL people there now so it does not fit the expectation that replacement of RJs with 717s will help drive an increase in DL staffing in and of itself.

MIA AW staffing may grow as a result of the growth of the station but that may not necessarily translate into BW staffing.

I would love to tell you that the size of DL's operation at MIA or RDU or CLT justifies DL's own BW personnel but I cannot because everything I have heard or read says that any expectation of adding DL BW people in any station is not a reasonable expectation.
What I can say is that DL seems committed to keeping its own people in stations where they currently work, in retaining FT people even as RRs are added, and in converting some current non-DL mainline AW stations to DL personnel... but I can't say that mgmt. has given anything that would justify adding more BW cities.

It also doesn't change that DL is insourcing BW work in its current mainline BW cities or that DL personnel have the option to work AW in many cities that other carriers will not staff with its own people but I can't tell you something that I don't think realistically will happen or ding Delta for doing exactly what they have said they would do.

Insourcing is doing work for pay for another company. Staffing your own operation with your own people even if was previously outsourced is not insourcing.

It doesn't mean that there won't be additional DL staff added in some stations like MIA but I wouldn't realistically tell anyone to hold their breath about it happening.

Confused.jpg

Your the Station Mgr. if you didn't understand that rant, what makes you think I did.
5229511C-156E-429C-8C4D-DB408C650BE1-3790-000003523DB6EBAB_1751803fa43.1.3.mp4.jpg

Lifer--

Don't make waves...

Do not aspire to greatness...

Others know what is best for you...

You can trust your "leaders"...

Do not rock the boat...

Do not critically think...

Resistance is futile...

You are just lucky to have a job...

It's a culture thing...

Thanks for sticking with the conversation, Kev, despite the truckload of dirt that you perceived was thrown at you. Thank you also for acknowledging that AA and UA are making significant cuts to their ramp personnel. All I have asked is that there be balance in the perspectives that are presented; if DL is reducing FT ramp jobs thru attrition, then note that other carriers are doing it thru much more active methods, for example.

I will validate that DL execs have said they have a priority in keeping their own people in public contact positions; that is also a factor in the RJ swapout for 717s. The IT exec for a major global bank validated that they use a similar strategy for keeping customer facing personnel in-house while contracting out back office staff.

But that also doesn't mean that other areas of the company have been given a pass on efficiency or that DL is singularly focused on cutting ramp jobs. Remember that DL has tested automated boarding gates, has enhanced software and processes to allow fewer gate agents to handle more passengers, has installed software in Res to handle calls faster and eliminate as much agent downtime as possible, increase FA responsibilities and revenue generation in-flight with onboard sales, plus the previously noted increases in pilot efficiency.

Help me understand why you think DL would choose to use a nuclear option or what they would gain by doing so. As you have noted, the RR program allows in-house personnel to be added for similar costs as if they were outsourced. Yes, there are still FT benefitted personnel DL could target but what is the trigger that would force them to do so and what is the real benefit that would be gained?

WT,
Delta's GENEROUS theory of "50" % benefited, and 50% NO,....wont mean SH!T if the 'Below wing Boys' get thier Union back,....this next coming election.
Especially Apropos would be, if it's the RR's that are responsibile for a "check" in the win column for the IAM.
You know well the truism.
" What goes around,....COMES AROUND " !

PS,
When is the 'Pride of the SOUTH' going to fly LAX / SOUTH AMERICA ??

OOPS, sorry,...I forgot..that not ALLOWED for DEL-DUH !

NHBB,
I supposed the subject of LAX-S. America and LAX-Asia is at least as related to the topic of LAX-SFO as some of the other issues that have been discussed so I’ll speak to your comment.

DL flew LAX-GRU two times per week for several months (I flew on the flight during its short existence, though) and it didn’t take long for them to realize the flight wasn’t going to make money, esp. since KE was also on the route as an extension of one of their ICN-LAX flights – and they still operate into GRU on that routing, the only East Asian carrier to serve S. America.

In order to start LAX-GRU, DL petitioned the DOT to allow it to use 2 Brazil frequencies which UA was not using at the time. After DL discontinued the LAX-GRU flight, DL petitioned the DOT to allow DL to move the flight to DTW to provide the first DTW-S. America service along with frequencies DL reallocated from its other holdings. DL’s DTW-GRU generates onboard revenues comparable to other Brazil flights by other carriers, and even though it is on a 767 and is one of the longer US-S. America flights still carriers more cargo than UA’s IAH-GRU and EWR-GRU combined.

Oh, and DL also has created very nice connections between GRU and Asia via its DTW hub. As a reminder, DL now has 5 flights/day DTW-East Asia with than any other airline has from a point outside of the west coast.

I presume you mention this to note that AA will be starting LAX-GRU as part of the most recent route proceeding. I presume you are aware that the Brazilian airport authority has informed AA that they cannot arrive at GRU from LAX using the times AA requested and AA will be arriving late in the afternoon mean a late evening departure from LAX, many hours later than AA originally requested – apparently based in part on AA’s desire to create connections at LAX between Asia and S. America and also to gain an advantage over KE which has an afternoon departure from LAX to GRU.

So, AA will operate LAX-GRU at times considerably different from what it requested and presumably not creating the opportunities AA desired while merger partner US is operating CLT-GRU with a 5 a.m arrival to GRU and a 9 a.m. departure (+/-) with loads well below what can be expected to make money. AA’s latest financial report showed that AA’s RASM in the Latin America region was not growing as quickly as the capacity they were adding, or IOW, they were adding more capacity but only getting as much revenue as they did with less capacity – the same “strategy” AA has been using to/from Asia for several years where they have reported a NEGATIVE 26% margin – or that it costs five dollars to operate in a region which generates four dollars in revenue for AA using the most recent published data.

Further, AA is going up against KE in LAX-GRU while also starting DFW-ICN, a market that KE has operated for years and has added capacity in since AA’s announcement to start AA’s own route. Two years ago, KE felt the market could be served with 3-4 flights/week and now, between AA and KE, the flight has double daily service.

What AA and US are doing with added capacity in Brazil or what AA is doing in Asia are not models that any business that wants to make money will choose to follow.
Profitably adding capacity at GRU might just require waiting until GRU completes its new terminal and has more space.

Since AA is the US 'KING' to Brazil, I'd suspect a bit more Lobbying, and a LARGE E-jets order 'could' have a impact on future LAX flying to Brazil !

If the "GREAT ONE' were still at the helm, a LOT of things would most likely be different !!

There is no space.... GRU has had the same answer to multiple other airlines over a period of a number of years so it would be pretty obvious if the rules suddenly changed.

GIG has plenty of space as do other airports which is why AA has built out its network in other cities in Brazil.

Until GRU opens its next terminal - which is progressing well - there is no opportunity to park additional aircraft which means any flights that are added have to be at times when there is space to do so.... which means no more morning arrivals and evening departures for now.