DL expands SEA further with SEA-SFO flights

Status
Not open for further replies.
WorldTraveler said:
interesting that it is all of a sudden off topic when the discussion is to look back and note what AA has actually done or not in the market.
Off topic? AA in NYC? LAX?

...Oh sorry. I coulda sworn this was the "DL expands SEA further with SFO flights" thread?

I'll get my coat...

Reactions: 2 people
WorldTraveler said:
and no one doubted any of that, did they?

I'm talking about growth rates this year, not passenger boardings last year. 

for Aug of this year, DL's number of seats offered at LAX is almost identical to PMAA's alone which is down year over year.  US is up but not by as much as AA is down.

DL's growth rate in seats offered is up over 14%. 
UA is not growing at LAX. 

The difference between AA and DL at LAX is less than 10% and at the current growth rate, DL will be on par with AA within a year.  LAX has long been AA's strongest west coast station.

Add in other major cities and DL has already added enough new capacity in the west to overcome the benefit that AA/US gained as a result of the merger. 

It's fascinating the statistics that WT uses to attempt to make the point that DL is superior over all.  In one thread, it is local boardings.  In another it is the growth rates.  In yeat another thread it is % passenger share from said market to DL hubs or the average fare between point A - point B in some other thread. Even the MTOW of aircraft was used to attempt to show DL brilliance.  If one dares to use any statistics/numbers where DL is not #1, then WT becomes unhinged

Reactions: 4 people
Kev3188 said:
Off topic? AA in NYC? LAX?

...Oh sorry. I coulda sworn this was the "DL expands SEA further with SFO flights" thread?

I'll get my coat...

I'll hold the door for you.

buh buh

can I send a few folks with you?

FrugalFlyerv2.0 said:

It's fascinating the statistics that WT uses to attempt to make the point that DL is superior over all.  In one thread, it is local boardings.  In another it is the growth rates.  In yeat another thread it is % passenger share from said market to DL hubs or the average fare between point A - point B in some other thread. Even the MTOW of aircraft was used to attempt to show DL brilliance.  If one dares to use any statistics/numbers where DL is not #1, then WT becomes unhinged

show me where I ever said that passenger boardings is a relevant measure of anything other than airport charges.

the RIGHT statistics for the right use is what matters.

As for MTOW, I truly hope that you recognize that the lowest weight aircraft that can do the job is the most cost-effective way to serve the market.

Do you routinely commute to work in an 18 wheeler when a Corolla will do the trick?

737823 said:

did you miss the part that AS is adding extra frequent flyer incentives on DL's competitors routes in nonstop SEA-int'l markets?

Suppose DL's REACTION is related to AS' ACTION?

AS decided they weren't interested in providing the seats that DL built the agreement around.

Now, they have to deal with a competitor that wants to build its own hub in AS' back yard... and let's not forget that DL's annual PROFIT is more than half the size of AS' entire annual revenues. 

WorldTraveler said:
I'll hold the door for you.

buh buh

can I send a few folks with you?

show me where I ever said that passenger boardings is a relevant measure of anything other than airport charges.

the RIGHT statistics for the right use is what matters.

As for MTOW, I truly hope that you recognize that the lowest weight aircraft that can do the job is the most cost-effective way to serve the market.

Do you routinely commute to work in an 18 wheeler when a Corolla will do the trick?

did you miss the part that AS is adding extra incentives to DL's competitors in nonstop SEA-int'l markets?

Suppose DL's reaction is related to AS' ACTION?
Mixing up weight and fuel economy? An Indy car is lighter than a corolla, is that what one should use to commute?

given that aircraft have basically the same fuel economy per weight (the new generation carbon fiber aircraft might be the exception), there is a correlation between weight of the aircraft and fuel efficiency

There is a correlation, but they don't have 'basically' the same fuel burn. Stick to what you think you know, and leave the rest alone. You should know that, you suggest it to anyone who disagrees with your narrative.

fine then...  give me the fuel burn for a 4000 mile flight on a 777 vs the same route on a 764 or an A333.

I can absolutely assure that there isn't an airline that will burn the same fuel with the lighter twins vs the 777 and yet the DOT statistics show that there are comparable payloads on comparable routes served by both aircraft. 

As for one of the most vivid examples, DL carries as much payload per flight on its ATL-GRU flight as AA carries on MIA-GRU using 777s vs. DL's 764s.  And the 767s burn up to 25% less fuel. 

But I welcome a real world example backed up by data that shows where a heavier aircraft actually results in enough extra revenue to offset the higher costs.

it is specifically DL's ability to use lighter aircraft to serve large portions of the Pacific rim from SEA that improves the economics of the hub. 

good... then it should be no problem figuring out that the fuel burn on a 777 per seat is considerably higher than on a 767... and currently DL's 764s carry as many passengers as AA's 777s.

of course over a decade after CO and DL introduced the 764, a light finally went off at Centrepork that they weren't getting the revenue per flight on the 777 that other carriers were getting on lighter aircraft such as the 764 so the seat count on the 777 is going up.

My question, again, is not the performance charts but actual market level data to show where a heavier aircraft actually generates enough revenue to offset the higher costs on routes that both could perform.

WT if the 767-400 is so great why has Boeing sold only as all handful to two carriers? Admittedly my upcoming DL 764 flight is wide open in both cabins. I also read DL may reduce C seats and add Y on the 744 (upperdeck). Could the same happen on the 764 with 40 seats?

Josh

The 764 was competing with the 332 which is a more versatile aircraft.

yet the 764 easily does 5000 mile routes with ease as CO and DL have shown.  The 764's operating costs are much lower than larger, more capable aircraft. 

The fact that you found a flight that is open says little about the aircraft and a lot more about how it is deployed.  If it is to Europe, it isn't uncommon to have open flights this time of year.

As for the supposed 744 refurb, it is about MOVING BE seats out of the upper deck and to the main deck and putting other seats in the upper deck.  The BE seat that DL chose for the 777/744 does not efficiently use the space on the 744 upper deck. 

Don't know if DL will reduce the 764's BE cabin but it is partly determined by the doors on that aircraft.  The 764 is a very premium heavy aircraft but it also has very low overall trip costs relative to other 250 seat aircraft. 

WT the 744/330 seat is different than the 777 and 767 seats. All told DL has three different lie flat products-soon four. I know DL changed the configurations this fall reducing BE seats which must mean they aren't selling enough to make that configuration viable.

As for the 744 upper deck that's very unfortunate my best DL flight was on the 744 upper deck in BE-simply fantastic.

BOS-LHR goes back to 764, and every time I take the flight it's wide open in both cabins.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
josh  what time of day does the 764 go to LHR?  Id imagine though BA does a better load compared to DL  but i believe timing has a roll in it too

robbedagain said:
josh  what time of day does the 764 go to LHR?  Id imagine though BA does a better load compared to DL  but i believe timing has a roll in it too
Robbed:

DL 186 19:30 BOS 06:35+1 LHR
DL 187 09:30 LHR 13:15 BOS

BA has three (seasonally four) flights on 777/744 and DL has JBV with VS daily A333.

Josh

WorldTraveler said:

Here you go:

WorldTraveler said:
no, robbed,
the appropriate measure to show how strong a carrier is in a city is the number of local boardings...

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.