DL pilots reach agreement to Merge with NW

Laughable statement. AA is doing everything it can just to stay afloat right now. Airlines don't make money when their aircraft can't even get off the ground.

I agree that they don't make money on the ground, but with fuel where it is right now, I'd say that they probably lose less money on the ground than in the air. Makes you wonder about AA's tactics of parking their most costly jets mid-week.

Thats too comical.... Have you even looked at a DL route map?
Why did NW go crawling back to DL ? Because DL brings Nothing?

" And FINALLY- FINALLY, if this "thing" starts to look like it's a go, Expect AA to "BID UP" the deal, to make DL...pay through the NOSE ! "

----I think AA has more to worry about keeping their planes in the air than to distract
everyone with a false bid.

" (It's times like this, that I PRAY CRANDALL was still "up on the bridge") !!!!!!!!!!!!! "

---you mean the bridge of the Titanic!

Bid on what? This is not a buyout, it's a merger.

I agree that they don't make money on the ground, but with fuel where it is right now, I'd say that they probably lose less money on the ground than in the air. Makes you wonder about AA's tactics of parking their most costly jets mid-week.

That is quite a statement considering they are giving away $500 vouchers, putting pax up in hotels, and reaccommodating on other airlines, which is not cheap.

Don't forget the possible PR fallout. Even though the public has very foggy long term memory, they still have a real sharp short term one.

The above...has a "familiar ring"....................................ala....US/PI !

NO matter HOW you look at it, this is a BAD deal for NW people.....Except NW pilots !!!

Some examples;

Anderson could merge the F/A's.....AMT's....Agents.....Rez....from both carriers, ..Tomorrow, FORCE a Union/NO Union vote, and prevail with NO Union from those groups, because the numbers favor DL in those job areas.

The Pilots ARE in the same Union in both !

BUT,

At present, the NW rampers hold a significant edge in staying union.

But thats NOW !

Once DL is calling the shots,..............PRESTO,.....Anderson(WHO "knows NW inside and out") starts whittling away at the ramp numbers of medium NW Union stations, ultimately forcing the NW rampers into DTW, and a MUCH smaller...MSP/MEM.

DL has SHOWN that they have NO desire to have their mainline employees work Air Cargo.

(SADLY) I could Easily see, Anderson...SCREWING with NW's HUGE A/F operation in ANC.

Back to the HUBS for a second.
Once that BASTARD has the "numbers" in the Hubs(and a few Large non Hub stations like LGA, .....PRESTO(again), he then calls for a representative Election, SURE that he has the larger numbers to prevail .

HEY,.....I don't NEED to suggest to ALL NW employees,..............(minus the Pilots), that you ALL need to ensure that this Sh!tty deal,......NEVER sees the "light of day" !

I personally saw those Rejects from DLG(delta's LOW COST "claim to fame" operation) work 767's(pushing/towing/loading Widebodys),.....in BDL, .................SO again I say,..................DO NOT let this ABORTION come to fruition !!!!!!!!

No disrespect intended but you speak with misinformation and speculation. DL management has found out that not all of cargo should be farmed out. In my station anyway. In my shop we have kept our dept. intact from hard work and doing the best job we can do. Believe me they have tried to contract my dept.

You speculate what our mangement might do after the merger. Have you ever tried to speculate that if a combined company works together and shows management that we are willing to all work together, we can prove that we are valuable to this company? If you had your own business, what would you expect?

There is nothing you/we can do to stop a merger from happening, that is unless you are willing to get fired for it. We might as well have a positive attitude and be prepared to work together to keep our company afloat. I know I am.

That very well could be true, although I don't know if the PR hit they are taking right now is worth the cost. I was really just implying that their plate is full right now. Possibly too full to get involved in a bidding war.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

(It's times like this, that I PRAY CRANDALL was still "up on the bridge") !!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are you so worried about? You don't work at either company. Are you afraid the new largest airline in the world with a globe covering route structure will take your beloved American out behind the wood shed? Are you afraid of American dropping to number 3 after UA/CO join up? It may work out well for the entire industry with less airlines out there to compete with, at least temporarily.

That very well could be true, although I don't know if the PR hit they are taking right now is worth the cost. I was really just implying that their plate is full right now. Possibly too full to get involved in a bidding war.

I completely agree with you. It is Friday, though, and just had to throw a conspiracy theory out there.

I agree...AMR doesn't have the resources to enter a bidding war and they will only add to their woes if they try jumping in now. Of course...it would be interesting to see if they do something like they did with TW...create a bidding war to try to stop another merger (UA/US) from happening and then end up actually winning, paying more than they wanted, and completing a horrendous transaction that was just as bad as HP/US. NHBB is just getting excited b/c he remembers the good ol' days of AA filling the hole that Braniff left, getting into bed with the gov't and creating anti-competitive legislation directed at its competitiong (WN in DAL), and running carrier after carrier out of business through anti-competitive/unscrupulous actions (Legend, Midway, Reno, etc). It's fun to watch him get all misty-eyed reminiscing of the glory days. Current reality, though, is a carrier with unhappy labor, terrible PR, greedy execs that continue to rake in some of the biggest bonuses in the industry while sticking it to their employees, and more and more difficulty in staying in bed with the gov't. All of that lobbying money seems to be getting them nowhere these days. I get a little misty-eyed myself when thinking back to AMR paying of the DOJ in antitrust case after antitrust case.

Well, in these tough times, it's GOOD to have friends in HIGH places.

(Think BA/JAL)

You never know...."IF"...you might have to call on them someday.

All you'll get is a JV as long as the current international ownership rules are in place. And if they are eased...think AF. You're right...it IS good to have friends in HIGH places.

Air France is standing by with a check for $750M to help the DL/NW merger along.

I am sure that BA would be willing to cut a check in kind to AA in the event they merge. I do not see them cutting a check to AA just so they can force a bidding war on NW.

On a side note to that. The DL/NW deal is said to be a stock swap, I am not sure if this would open it up to a "bidding war" like you saw for Pan AM etc.

Ladies and Gentlemen...calm down! EVERYONE is getting WAY ahead of themselves. Let them go ahead and announce whatever it is they think they intend to do with out the involvement of NW Unions. This will be one for the record books. Please...allow calmer heads to prevail, like mine (smirk intended, so says the "warmonger")

Seriously, their announcement means NOTHING. What will carry weight is the final word of the DOJ/DOT. On a side note....NWA pilots met with Oberstar last week to prepare strategy. It appears the lines have been drawn. Prepare for battle Redtails! (couldn't leave that one out!) :)

Ladies and Gentlemen...calm down! EVERYONE is getting WAY ahead of themselves. Let them go ahead and announce whatever it is they think they intend to do with out the involvement of NW Unions. This will be one for the record books. Please...allow calmer heads to prevail, like mine (smirk intended, so says the "warmonger")

Seriously, their announcement means NOTHING. What will carry weight is the final word of the DOJ/DOT. On a side note....NWA pilots met with Oberstar last week to prepare strategy. It appears the lines have been drawn. Prepare for battle Redtails! (couldn't leave that one out!) :)

If you think the DOJ and the DOT haven't given their preapproval nod, then you rely WAYYYYY too much on your union kool-aid.

HA! What battle..The pilots are a bunch of gutless wonders who will do anything to save their collective asses including selling their fellow co workers down the river. And Oberstar? He is a joke and will do whatever rat faced Steenland tells him to do period! I am sure when the pilots meet with Oberstar they will make HIM buy lunch those cheap bastards.

If you think the DOJ and the DOT haven't given their preapproval nod, then you rely WAYYYYY too much on your union kool-aid.

Sure it has...just like the Ual/US merger was. Boy that "secret" airline management "power" really flew through the DOJ. I drink reality kool-aid...and right now, you are drunk over something that hasn't even happened. I suspect, you had better hope US Airways doesn't come around the corner with that old offer for Delta shareholders. But, I am sure that was pre approved as well. :lol:

Back