DL's profit does not disappoint.

metopower said:
I CHEERED his comments. I also doubt that you own any stock in anything but your 401 or us air .
Actually I purchased a huge block of LCC shares the day before the DOJ attempted to halt the merger. I was pissed as hell but didn't panic and held. I then decided over time to diversify those holdings into other areas of which DAL is one of them. I didn't touch UAL cause I'm not sure if they're passed they're problems yet and think in airlines that AAL and DAL are the most attractive.

Just because I'm a Labor advocate doesn't mean that I'm going to sell myself short when it comes to personal investments. I can separate one thing from the other pretty easily.

WeAAsles said:
The narrative is pointing out the arrogance of the CEO who does not own the airline. Although he is a major shareholder I too am a shareholder of the airline he works for and I find his comments alarming personally. I don't consider his reaction to Baker's questions to be appropriate.

It seems he doesn't know his place.
Ass hats like that Jamie are one of the reason we(employees) keep getting f**ked over. 

you supporting him means your not an airline employee or aren't thinking very logical. 

Letting some d-bag from Wall street tell the CEO how to run the company is a key reason why we as employees are having to basically build from the ground up. I personally wish Anderson would have just said f off and been done with it. 

and My retirement depends on Delta stock....so clearly I want it to do well. 

metopower said:
I CHEERED his comments. I also doubt that you own any stock in anything but your 401 or us air .
agreed meto. Its so nice to have a CEO take a stand. Delta has been in a mode of cutting, and finally the domestic market is rebounding at this douche is questioning him 

not only that but we are talking about a CEO who has made Delta stock something worth while. Your an idiot if you don't think they are going to get good return for stock. Hell they are going to make 4 BILLION this year. GMAFB 

WeAAsles said:
I guess Jaime Baker and Hunter Keay don't care about your opinions and neither do I. Thinking as an airline investor which I also am besides an employee.
then put your money in UAL. It sounds like an airline that will fit you much better. 

oh and have fun getting burned on that, but they are letting jackasses like Baker scare them into things. Its working over oh so well too. 

Is it really worth investing in airlines? I know a lot of folks at US who did that ions ago and got burned one guy lost over 35k alone and said never again to investing. Another one invest in dal us and ua and lost bad

WeAAsles said:
Actually I purchased a huge block of LCC shares the day before the DOJ attempted to halt the merger. I was pissed as hell but didn't panic and held. I then decided over time to diversify those holdings into other areas of which DAL is one of them. I didn't touch UAL cause I'm not sure if they're passed they're problems yet and think in airlines that AAL and DAL are the most attractive.

Just because I'm a Labor advocate doesn't mean that I'm going to sell myself short when it comes to personal investments. I can separate one thing from the other pretty easily.

Yep, nothing wrong with suckling off the company's teet, while bashing them at every turn.

robbedagain said:
Is it really worth investing in airlines? I know a lot of folks at US who did that ions ago and got burned one guy lost over 35k alone and said never again to investing. Another one invest in dal us and ua and lost bad
Depends, for those of us that had DL stock from BK/merger it has gone from a low point of 6 bucks to now 36 or so bucks. Not a terrible deal. 

• Banned
then put your money in UAL. It sounds like an airline that will fit you much better. 

oh and have fun getting burned on that, but they are letting jackasses like Baker scare them into things. Its working over oh so well too.
the reason why UA and AA are in the same boat as bad investments is because neither one has demonstrated that they are willing to change the fundamental structure that has left the legacy segment of the airline industry in financial shambles.

No one seems to ask WN or AS why they are destroying stockholder value thru their incursions into other carrier markets.

and the reason may very well be because they have demonstrated that they can grow their networks into other carriers' key markets and make money in the process.

The fundamental problem with Jamie Baker's question is that he assumes that airlines should stay out of each other's predetermined markets because if they venture out of them, they will lose money.

IN the past, that has been true. When airlines like AA decide that DL's growth in LHR which is coming as a result of a 49% investment in Virgin Atlantic threatens AA and is worthy of AA's decision to throw a few airplanes at ATL, they are repeating the same stupid strategies that have resulted in billions of dollars of losses year after year in the airline industry.

AA not only has wasted hundreds of millions of dollars trying to grow its own network in Asia while consistently underperforming its peers but has made one stupid strategic decision after another in NYC and elsewhere that has provided exactly the opening that AA's competitors have needed in order to grow their own presence.

And AA and UA have continued to buy into the mindset of spending tens of billions of dollars in new aircraft which only further leverage their balance sheet.

WN and AS along with DL have decided that the American consumer mindset of using every dollar of credit you are offered is hardly financially viable, esp. since DL's efforts in reducing its debt has resulted in hundreds of millions of dollars in reduced interest just on debt payments per year.

Further, Doug Parker is still intoxicated with the glee of operating what he touted as the world's largest airline which he can now use to seek revenge against DL for all of the failed market strategies that US could not pull off because DL outsmarted him.

so, no, airlines like AA and UA aren't and won't be decent investments because they won't make the fundamental changes in the way they run their businesses that will make them good investments.

People like Jamie Baker clearly don't understand what makes the airline industry work because if he did he wouldn't be asking questions about competition but instead asking where the proof is that ANY investment - whether a new route or new jets or new employees - is providing an acceptable return to stockholders.

DL can show that its investments are positive for stockholders.

AA and UA cannot.

southwind said:
Yep, nothing wrong with suckling off the company's teet, while bashing them at every turn.
People to me come before money. And I don't believe when DAL is finally organized that it will hurt my investment in the slightest.

• Banned
funny.

has it even been 48 hours since you were touting the cold cabbage that the union was supposed to have brought home for APFA members?

I can assure you that the DL employees that union leaders all want to get as union members want more than just to be told they matter as people

• Banned
of course it is since it highlights your contradiction.

you can choose personally to give up salary for "people" but I can assure that union members want cold, hard cash and union leaders better deliver it in quantities sufficiently large to demonstrate union value.

robbedagain said:
Is it really worth investing in airlines?
I think the days of it equaling throwing your $$$ into a blender are gone, but it still depends on which carrier...

topDawg said:
Depends, for those of us that had DL stock from BK/merger it has gone from a low point of 6 bucks to now 36 or so bucks. Not a terrible deal.
+1

FWIW, Atlas World Wide is on the same sort of trajectory over the same time frame. Started a touch higher coming out of BK, rocketed into the $50's per share, before settling down in the same neighborhood as DL...

WeAAsles said:
People to me come before money. And I don't believe when DAL is finally organized that it will hurt my investment in the slightest.
It won't.

700UW said:
Absolutely. And probably the reason why the market is currently being kinder to AAL and UAL today. You don't have to go along with what the analysts think or suggest but you also shouldn't be flippant with them.

I'd just like to know why the S and P 500 has it all wrong to not have Delta at the top of their list for market capitalization? I would have to think in WT's mind that the market should be lending more money to Delta than Apple, Mobil, Microsoft and IBM?

Hopefully he can explain to us why they have it all wrong? Forget the other airlines. Delta should be up there with the really big boys right?

http://www.globaleconomicandinvestmentanalytics.com/images/stories/ArticleCharts/SP%20500100%20Largest%20Companies%20Ranked%20By%20Market%20Cap/100%20Largest%20Companies%20Ranked-Part1.pdf

Back