Happy Bonus Day!

eolesen said:
You guys get the supervision you deserve. If you put up artificial barriers (e.g. "branded" with the letter M as a turncoat), then you're going to get poor managers and supervisors in return. Likewise, if the pay is less than the people you manage and supervise, you'll attract lower quality candidates.

BTW, if you think $48K is way too much for a supervisor or manager, then you might want to rethink labor's support for all those $15 minimum wage proposals -- that works out to $31K for a fulltime employee, so why should $22/hr be out of the question for a supervisor that normally isn't eligible for overtime?
You've been away a while. Supervisors get overtime now.

MetalMover said:
You've been away a while. Supervisors get overtime now.
I'm sure they still get it for operational necessity, but they don't for having to stay to do paperwork, and there's no such concept as a penalty hour or late lunch.

Reactions: 1 person
eolesen said:
I'm sure they still get it for operational necessity, but they don't for having to stay to do paperwork, and there's no such concept as a penalty hour or late lunch.
They also do double shifts as if they were hourly workers. But with them it's at 1 1/2.

MetalMover said:
They also do double shifts as if they were hourly workers. But with them it's at 1 1/2.

Actually the 3's and 4's get only straight time and only if they go over 48 hours in a week.  Also E is right, it is only for ops issues, not finishing shift reports, paperwork, etc.

Admittedly, I haven't paid a lot of attention to FLSA in the last couple years (the law which governs overtime), but it does appear there was a change made by one of Obama's infamous Executive Orders in 2015 which apparently goes into effect for 2016.

The pre-2015 cap for defining overtime eligible was anyone salaried but earning under $24K. It hadn't been changed since 1975..

Now that cap is $50,440, so your $48K CSM would be overtime eligible under Federal law, and it wouldn't surprise me to find out CSM's suddenly making $50.5K as of January....

That seems like a lot for someone with no apparent qualifications other than a pulse and being able to pass a drug test/FAA background check, but it does allow the company to continue to give them straight time for anything over 40 hours a week and have legal cover at the Federal level.

IIRC, CA has a state overtime law that is more stringent, but most states just follow the Federal statue.

JAFA said:

Actually the 3's and 4's get only straight time and only if they go over 48 hours in a week.  Also E is right, it is only for ops issues, not finishing shift reports, paperwork, etc.
The point is that they now get overtime. In the past they only received comp time. Now the other question is whether or not it is worth taking the leap into management and hope to reach the level where they start getting bonus pay. 

MetalMover said:
The point is that they now get overtime. In the past they only received comp time. Now the other question is whether or not it is worth taking the leap into management and hope to reach the level where they start getting bonus pay. 
In my opinion going into management is only a good decision if you have a goal, a legitimate path for progression (meaning probable pay raises and promotions), and the education to back it up.

If any 1 of these 3 things are missing I would say no, it is not worth it.

If you are wanting to go into management with only an A&P (as opposed to an accounting, business, or HR degree) expecting to rise through the ranks your probably going to be in for a rude awakening.

There is also the issue of networking with people. If you are a bad communicator, an introvert, or timid you not going to go very far either.