Jack London & The Scab

Albatroz

Nov 17, 2003
Everyone is invited to post definitions on scabs and/or their 'associations'

"... Just as the peaceful country-dweller calls the sea-rover a "pirate," and the stout burgher calls the man who breaks into his strong-box a "robber," so the selfish laborer applies the opprobrious epithet "scab" to the laborer who takes from him food and shelter by being more generous in the disposal of his labor power. The sentimental connotation of "scab" is as terrific as that of "traitor" or "Judas," and a sentimental definition would be as deep and varied as the human heart. It is far easier to arrive at what may be called a technical definition, worded in commercial terms, as, for instance, that a scab is one who gives more value for the same price than another..."

Jack London, from the scab. Speech, 1903
"...But the role of scab passes beyond the individual. Just as individuals scab on other individuals, so do groups scab on other groups. And the principle involved is precisely the same as in the case of the simple labor scab. A group, in the nature of its organization, is often compelled to give most for least, and, so doing, to strike at the life of another group..."

The Scab
"After God had finished the rattlesnake, the toad, and the vampire, he had some awful substance left with which he made a scab."

"A scab is a two-legged animal with a corkscrew soul, a water brain, a combination backbone of jelly and glue. Where others have hearts, he carries a tumor of rotten principles."

"When a scab comes down the street, men turn their backs and angels weep in heaven, and the devil shuts the gates of hell to keep him out."

"No man (or woman) has a right to scab so long as there is a pool of water to drown his carcass in, or a rope long enough to hang his body with. Judas was a gentleman compared with a scab. For betraying his master, he had character enough to hang himself." A scab has not.

"Esau sold his birthright for a mess of pottage. Judas sold his Savior for thirty pieces of silver. Benedict Arnold sold his country for a promise of a commision in the british army." The scab sells his birthright, country, his wife, his children and his fellowmen for an unfulfilled promise from his employer.

Esau was a traitor to himself; Judas was a traitor to his God; Benedict Arnold was a traitor to his country; a scab is a traitor to his God, his country, his family and his class."

Author --- Jack London (1876-1916)

Bizman said:
and your point of this post is???
[post="230291"][/post]​

My point is:
I am doing a study on how people perceive what a scab or a scab organization is about. For that end, starting with the definitions provided by Jack London, I am asking people to post their own opinions on what a scab individual/organization is. It can be your own opinion or quotes, such as London's. Thank you all for your help. I got a paper due soon and I need help.

Hey RAT BOY!

So I guess that your co-workers who got layed off from that crap hole you work at who now have jobs at 3rd party maintenace you will consider them to be SCABS THEN?????

A SCAB is someone who will walk across YOUR PICKET line to do YOUR WORK PERIOD! There is no other definition for a scab. Some one who took a job someplace that gets paid less than what they were making is just pure survival! Amazing that you folks at UniTED think that your so much more talented than people who work elsewhere in the industry. I knew A LOT of worthless high seniority scum bags at UniTED who accomplished nothing more each day than to finish the daily crossword and jaw jack with all their worthless buddies. Don't pat your own back or toot your horn to much over there at UniTED! You could be the next guy from there sending out resumes to the 3rd party maintenance facility's.

Albatroz said:
Everyone is invited to post definitions on scabs and/or their 'associations'

"... Just as the peaceful country-dweller calls the sea-rover a "pirate," and the stout burgher calls the man who breaks into his strong-box a "robber," so the selfish laborer applies the opprobrious epithet "scab" to the laborer who takes from him food and shelter by being more generous in the disposal of his labor power. The sentimental connotation of "scab" is as terrific as that of "traitor" or "Judas," and a sentimental definition would be as deep and varied as the human heart. It is far easier to arrive at what may be called a technical definition, worded in commercial terms, as, for instance, that a scab is one who gives more value for the same price than another..."

"...But the role of scab passes beyond the individual. Just as individuals scab on other individuals, so do groups scab on other groups. And the principle involved is precisely the same as in the case of the simple labor scab. A group, in the nature of its organization, is often compelled to give most for least, and, so doing, to strike at the life of another group..."

The Scab
"After God had finished the rattlesnake, the toad, and the vampire, he had some awful substance left with which he made a scab."

"A scab is a two-legged animal with a corkscrew soul, a water brain, a combination backbone of jelly and glue. Where others have hearts, he carries a tumor of rotten principles."

"When a scab comes down the street, men turn their backs and angels weep in heaven, and the devil shuts the gates of hell to keep him out."

"No man (or woman) has a right to scab so long as there is a pool of water to drown his carcass in, or a rope long enough to hang his body with. Judas was a gentleman compared with a scab. For betraying his master, he had character enough to hang himself." A scab has not.

"Esau sold his birthright for a mess of pottage. Judas sold his Savior for thirty pieces of silver. Benedict Arnold sold his country for a promise of a commision in the british army." The scab sells his birthright, country, his wife, his children and his fellowmen for an unfulfilled promise from his employer.

Esau was a traitor to himself; Judas was a traitor to his God; Benedict Arnold was a traitor to his country; a scab is a traitor to his God, his country, his family and his class."

Author --- Jack London (1876-1916)
[post="230288"][/post]​

Here is a link:

THE SCAB

B) UT

mrfish3726 said:
Hey RAT BOY!

So I guess that your co-workers who got layed off from that crap hole you work at who now have jobs at 3rd party maintenace you will consider them to be SCABS THEN?????

A SCAB is someone who will walk across YOUR PICKET line to do YOUR WORK PERIOD! There is no other definition for a scab. Some one who took a job someplace that gets paid less than what they were making is just pure survival! Amazing that you folks at UniTED think that your so much more talented than people who work elsewhere in the industry. I knew A LOT of worthless high seniority scum bags at UniTED who accomplished nothing more each day than to finish the daily crossword and jaw jack with all their worthless buddies. Don't pat your own back or toot your horn to much over there at UniTED! You could be the next guy from there sending out resumes to the 3rd party maintenance facility's.
[post="230297"][/post]​

Chum... I doubt if there will be any Scabs crossing any picket lines here. The company will shut down and be broken into pieces if there's a strike. Its called suicide strategy. I think that's part of the plan. You know it, that's why you try to get people worked up. I'd be careful what you wish for if I were you. Who's to say a stronger carrier won't come in, rebuild the Fortress and put your sad ass out of business? Your ice rink isn't so thick either. The more you age, the more precarious your personal state becomes. You're not skillful enough to find employment outside of this industry-- you can't write worth a sh*t. Maintenance is like the cheetah, very good at what you do, but you've got alot of competition that threatens your survival. Cheetahs are on their way to extinction. You know, the lions and those scabby hyenas just don't get along with 'em. I know that after years of 'savy business maneuvers' on your part, you're so rich that you could retire right now, however; I wouldn't be playin' any horns over there at F9 either, if I were you.
A scab none the less is a person who settles for less income because they're desparate for employment. The 'global economy' just adds downward pressure to everyone's wages as Third World workers (who work in dismal conditions), and the elite have anything to gain condition-wise or monetarily from it. Why do you think 'W' supports workers from Mexico 'temporarily' immigrating into the US? They can fix planes too, (below average perhaps, but that's what they're going to be paid), so it all works out, (until you find your ass on a plane that someone 'forgot something'). Managers can 'pencil whip' a plane into service with the 'right' (perhaps Third World/scab) pilot right? ;) The entire Industry would have to go on strike to offset the pendulum.... like your 'comfortable' self centered ass would take one for an Industry peer :blink: :lol:...You may try to think this statement over for a week or two, even you might get it. If UA does bite it, or bites me too hard, I think I'm done playing 'Airline'. This Industry is too much 'Follower' over 'Leader'--we've become lemmings. The only counter balance that I see is a huge one.

Rat BOY,

Your SOOOOOO FULL OF ####, JUST LIKE 787 over there. AGAIN I will tell you that we have NOOOOOOO threats here at F9. When UniTED is gone, we'll still be here running our FINE business against whoever takes UniTED's place. Hell we could wind up getting a #### load of NEW airbuses to fill UniTEDs shoes here in the Denver market. That would be just like OLD TIMES AGAIN FOR FRONTIER. :up:

And again, I make a hell of a lot more here at F9 than I EVER would have at UAL HELL there RAT BOY. SO I didn't take the job for the pay, I took the job to be back home here in Denver. And to do what ever I could to make UniTED suffer through YOUR impending DOOM!!!! B)

I'll give my definitions:

o Someone who does their f'n job and not the crossword on the clock.

o Someone who prices their services at market rates and understands that their job is at the pleasure of the company.

When was that written, 1903? The same year the Wright brothers flew? What other industry bases their labor policies on 100+ year old rhetoric? Get a f'n clue. If you are educated and bring sought-after skills to the marketplace, you'd have to hide under a bed to keep people from offering you work. Seems there are a lot that just want to do the hiding under the bed part.

mrfish3726 said:
Rat BOY,

Your SOOOOOO FULL OF ####, JUST LIKE 787 over there. AGAIN I will tell you that we have NOOOOOOO threats here at F9. When UniTED is gone, we'll still be here running our FINE business against whoever takes UniTED's place. Hell we could wind up getting a #### load of NEW airbuses to fill UniTEDs shoes here in the Denver market. That would be just like OLD TIMES AGAIN FOR FRONTIER. :up:

And again, I make a hell of a lot more here at F9 than I EVER would have at UAL HELL there RAT BOY. SO I didn't take the job for the pay, I took the job to be back home here in Denver. And to do what ever I could to make UniTED suffer through YOUR impending DOOM!!!! B)
[post="230359"][/post]​

Chum...You've just offered proof-positive of just how stupid you are. Thank you. Where's F9 going to come up with the necessary capital to buy your 'load' of Airbuses with? Mom? Just when was your last profitable quarter? Not this year...As unbelievable as it may seem, Investors don't look upon airlines as that good of a risk right now :shock: (it's because airlines give their service away for less than it costs them---shhhhhhh, now don't tell anyone, it'll be 'our' secret). There are threats out there that only a simpleton can't see (apparently). Southwest is about the only carrier that could replace UA here in Denver idiot. They'll make mincemeat out of your 'Fine Carrier' if they make an appearance. To be honest, I really don't care how much money you make, I'm glad that you're making it now, it keeps another transient off the street that way. What does #### mean anyway? :lol: Now that I think about it, Southwest would probably want the vacant ORD slots instead of allotting aircraft at the pricey DIA. But...those B Con gates won't sit idle for long. I still think a scab is a person who is willing to work for less than 'market value', whether it's out of desperation, or whatever reasoning they have. I've seen what the antithesis of a scab is, right Chum?

The Gopher said:
I'll give my definitions:

o Someone who does their f'n job and not the crossword on the clock.

o Someone who prices their services at market rates and understands that their job is at the pleasure of the company.

When was that written, 1903? The same year the Wright brothers flew? What other industry bases their labor policies on 100+ year old rhetoric? Get a f'n clue. If you are educated and bring sought-after skills to the marketplace, you'd have to hide under a bed to keep people from offering you work. Seems there are a lot that just want to do the hiding under the bed part.
[post="230498"][/post]​

People used to get killed at the pleasure of the company that they worked for. As recently as the 20's-30's...Where do you think the term 'sweat shop' came from. If companies treated their employees with respect, and paid them in line with their production, there wouldn't be a need for unions would there? Where do you think child labor laws came from? Companies who used children as labor. Why do you think slavery was abolished? Let's see....exploitation perhaps? Why was OSHA formed? Because people died in fires in factories because the 'pleasurable to work for company' decided wiring codes weren't as pleasurable as profits....There's your clue.