Judge Blocks NW f/as right to strike

PITbull

Veteran
Dec 29, 2002
Just heard on the radio that the Judge has blocked the NW f/as from a legal job action, "CHAOS".

Can someone cite where he has the right to do this and what counter action can be done to protect Labor's right to a legal strike?

Pitbull,

Although I don't know the specifics I believe this is the first. Let me understand if I got this right.

Flight attendants DO NOT have an agreement that prohibits them from striking AND they can't walk off the job?

Sounds like forced labor to me. Will these employees actually be arrested if they choose not to work for a greedy and repulsive employer???

Certainly sounds a long way away from the home of justice.

regards,

Just heard on the radio that the Judge has blocked the NW f/as from a legal job action, "CHAOS".

Can someone cite where he has the right to do this and what counter action can be done to protect Labor's right to a legal strike?

What "right" does the judge have to issue the TRO? Are you serious?

He issued a temporary restraining order, and the legal standard for issuance of a TRO is very easy to meet. It's not permanent - it's just temporary so the judge can consider whether to issue a permanent injunction.

The FAs at NW screwed up by not striking the moment the BK judge said they had the right. Their reluctance to strike and their delays have now cost them.

What can the FAs do now? They could appeal to the Court of Appeals and see about vacating the TRO.

Tim,

I agree.

I have never heard this kind of action taken by a federal judge to block a legal strike. This judge has abrogated their existing contract, and the latest co. proposal was rejected by majority...twice.

NW is a publically traded company and a legal job action like CHAOS, though maybe cause isolated disruption of travel, by no means would cripple the aviation industry.

Is this judge above the law, or is he on the "take"?

What is AFA position on this issue, and what is the next course of action that a labor group can take?

Does anyone know?

I dont think they know yet. FWAA, the f/a's didnt screw up - their leadership did. They voted down 2 contracts that essentially gave them 40 percent paycuts. If they in essense dont have a contract and cant strike do they have to pay dues to support incompetence-NW's and their leadership? Someone was paid off in this deal. No, alot of people have been paid off. Disgusting.

What "right" does the judge have to issue the TRO? Are you serious?

He issued a temporary restraining order, and the legal standard for issuance of a TRO is very easy to meet. It's not permanent - it's just temporary so the judge can consider whether to issue a permanent injunction.

The FAs at NW screwed up by not striking the moment the BK judge said they had the right. Their reluctance to strike and their delays have now cost them.

What can the FAs do now? They could appeal to the Court of Appeals and see about vacating the TRO.

Oh, I just read that the Justice department pushed that a strike would cripple the US. I get it now, the DOJ doesn't do a think last week in the Microsoft case but claims the stews at NW will bring the US to their knees.

I doubt you ever see another strike if a judge or president can stop it if it looks like it could put some saberteeth in labor's mouth.

At any rate, labor is still divided at NW and is paying a terrible price since the AFL unions stuck with politics and greedy company execs instead of supporting unionized mechanics.

Im all in favor of the American Labor movement and its 'full blown' lifeblood geared towards politics and dues, to pack up and leave town.

regards,

The government is a strange dodo. First the DOJ says a strike will disrupt the nation. Yeah right, cause headaches for sure, but it will not be the end of the world.

The President has gone on record as saying he will NOT intervene in an airline strike. Unlike Clinton who intervened at AA in the middle of the dot com boom. :blink: You would think with their different political backgrounds it would be reversed.

I say if they are itching to strike then let it happen. Postponing helps no one.

Knowing AFA International, they were probablly trying hard to push for ratification. After all, they can't collect any dues until NW has a contract (AFA is a new union voted in for NW f/as).

The NW f/as did what was in THEIR best interest by majority, and know that the job is not worth 40% less in pay.

I think that NW management was trying to get wages lower than USAirways, as USAirways is the guage for all legacies to beat.

AFA's negotiators and legal's mistake was convincing the USAirways MEC that they should take these concessionary proposals, 31% total pay cuts, horrific work rules, terminated pensions, and call that a T/A and sell it to the f/as.

Many times I told Pat F. she will regret what she allowed to happen to the U f/as.

I hope NW dries AFA's bank. They deserve it for not helping the U f/as when we needed a "job action".

This is BS.

How can they violate the status quo with an abrogation, yet take away the members right to strike?

All the airlines need to wildcat to protest, shut the system down!

PITBULL, As usual you have the answers! In your opinion, what should the NW f/as do? And what should other unions due to support them? Im not talking just NW but the rest of us. Im sure NW management team is planning the Friday Happy Hour. This makes me ill.

This is BS.

How can they violate the status quo with an abrogation, yet take away the members right to strike?

All the airlines need to wildcat to protest, shut the system down!

I agree!

These are the times that I wish I was still at U and AFA.

This is a blatant crime against organized labor!!!!

Any AFA members know if the officers at the international level have lead by example and themselves taken a paycut in the 15-35% range?

Sacrificed pensions,paying more for medical,given up holidays and vacation time? Reduced their accrual of sick time?

'Course they have. :rolleyes:

You mean to tell me that after reorganization costs, the airline IN BK made a profit this quarter of $179 million????

And that's before any cuts from the f/as???

Strike'um!!!!!!!

Back