OFFICAL START OF THE GREAT DEPRESSION

The similarities between now and the early 1920's are striking. Back then, the Republicans had been in control a good while and a laissez faire economy was in full swing. It was quite literally an orgy of greed and capitalism going on in this country (think "Roaring Twenties") and while the economy was collapsing around them, the Republicans were focused on trivial issues such as prohibition and keeping blacks segregated. Herbert Hoover favored letting the economy work itself out, while Americans moved out of homes and into tents. Banks collapsed while working together to deal with the crisis on their own, with a little government hand-holding. Oh, and did I mention a natural disaster in the middle of all of this downfall?? The Great Mississippi River Flood of 1927 and the botched Republican federal response to that Flood...Does this sound at all a little like George W. Bush???

Then came FDR and the New Deal...the Democrats largely held Congress until 1994, save a session here and there...that's a long time for the United States to be solidly Democratic. It wasn't until Nixon was elected that Republicans started to climb back into Congress significantly. The folks who lived through the Depression are dying off at an alarming rate now and there aren't many left who remember. The Republicans only had Congress for 10 years this go around and look at all they've accomplished. Contract with America? If this is not the most colossal failure of a political regime in the history of the world, I don't know what is.

This is all history repeating itself. And, by now, we should realize which plan works for America and which doesn't.

With so much at stake, I cannot believe the Democratic Party would nominate an unelectable person like Barack Obama to be President. It's unbelievable to me and I believe is cruel to the people of this country who stand behind their plan and are suffering badly. I can only hope that this is part of some tactic of handing the Republicans the presidency one last time so that they can destroy themselves once and for all. I think after 4 more years of Republicans in the White House, the Democrats will never have to worry about the American people trusting them again. If that's what their bizarre plan is and we can rid the world of their stupidity once and for all, and in just four years, I am all for their plan.

Latest posts