Strikers To Get Unemployment !

Great move... make all the other employers in the state of Minnesota subsidize people on strike.

Now that you people are a ward of the state, how about you make good use of yourselves and do something constructive for the state, like build some roads or clean trash from the highways.

Saturdaynite said:
bto/pto,

Reading comprehension has always been ONE of your many short comings....
Your comment is regarding the employees that were going to be thrown out the door regardless.
The JUDGE focused on the third world salary, that nw was trying to impose on those who remained!
So, in SOLIDARITY they walked out.  :up:

You are still wrong. And you will always be a SCAB !!!!!
Run along now, little man, you are dismissed!

SN
[post="307895"][/post]​

Saturday do try to keep up. There were not going to be any remaining custodians and cleaners. Their jobs were to be and are 100% outsourced. They lost out big time and their solidarity which was pointless to begin with has cost them thousands of dollars and benefits.

PRINCESS KIDAGAKASH said:
Yes,Northwest did,but there was a "special" condition in order to get the severance. You had to be laid off within 90 days of signing the deal with the devil. All Northwest would have done is waited 90 days and "boom" lay off everyone effected on the 91st day. Their severance offer was a joke!
[post="307899"][/post]​

The workers that were laid off after the 90 day period would have recieved 10 weeks of severance pay with no benefits. The severance would have been lump sum plus they would have been able to draw unemployment after two months. Joke or not it was their best option. They lost thousands.

AMFA took all those dues from these people for years, led them into an unwinable strike, lost their severance pay and lost 1800 jobs, got kicked out of a major airline and lost all credibilty with the rest of the aviation industry. I wonder what kind of stunt they are going to pull next? I wonder if people are still foolish enough to give them their money?

DEAD BIRD should just put AMFA in the intake of an engine.

PTO...your supposed knowledge concerning AMFA is amusing to say the least. But the really amusing part is you showing everyone what an idiot you are. Do you really think your lies hold any weight here? One hilarious thing i have noticed is how you seem to be an expert on every single thread in this forum. What i dont understand is how someone who thinks they are so smart and know something about everything continues to look like such an idiot.

How long has it taken you to perfect this stupidity? Is the job complete or is this an never ending project for you? We all know you have perfected lying, being a coward, whats your next project of stupidity your undertaking?

DEAD BIRD, the only people that think I am stupid are the brainwashed union fanatics that think AMFA has made a difference for the labor movement and the ones that think scabs can't work on aircraft. You say you can work on aircraft but you are a scab yourself which is a huge contridiction, so you are not so smart yourself.

PlayTheOdds said:
Correct me if I am wrong. Northwest offerd 6 months severance pay and six months of benefits. Now they will recieve half their pay in unemployment benefits, which Northwest only pays a small percentage of and no benefits. This is a victorious move by AMFA how? :down:
[post="307883"][/post]​

Another point you are completely and totally wrong about, sport. The employer, in this case Northwest, pays ALL--not a small percentage--of the unemployment benefits. The source of funds for paying unemployment insurance benefits is a payroll tax on employers. The employee pays nothing into the fund. In fact, it is a violation of Federal law to require an employee to pay any part of his/her unemployment insurance.

Another point...this strike will make Northwest's tax rate go up for 1 to 2 years. The payroll tax is a sliding scale tax based upon how many workers from that company file claims over a given period of time. It can be as low as 0.5% of total payroll up to 5% of total payroll. Since the tax is paid on everyone who draws a paycheck from the company--executives and scabs included--this difference can be substantial. For instance, if the total payroll is $10,000,000, a .5% tax rate means the employer owes only $50,000. A 5% tax rate increases that tax bill to $500,000.

Some states supplement the Federal minimums included in the payroll tax, but that is paid by all the citizens of that state.

Note to JS: Evidently you are as obtuse about unemployment insurance law as you are about SWA. Please read the above. The people of Minnesota are not paying a dime for the strikers unemployment unless the state legislature has CHOSEN to do so.

I am fully aware how unemployment insurance works jim. Let me break that riff-raff down for you. Lets go on the high side.

income= 1000 week
Nwa pays 50 a week for unemployment insurance. This is simply a tax that is paid by every employer in the country. In other words it is a "normal" buisness expense.

Lets say The striking employee recieves $500.00 a week in unemployment benefits for six months. That totals up to $12,000, paid out over time.How much of this does NWA pay? NONE.

Now that a claim has been made their payroll tax is going to increase the following fiscal year. NOT we went on the high side so they are capped out.

Northwest has reduced it work force and the payroll for the remaining employees. Therefore their payroll tax will be less the following year not more.

What would the guy in this scenario have made had he accepted the concessions?

$26,000 in lump-sum cash.
6 months of benefits and if he didn't work for that 6 months he could still draw unemployment. Plus he wouldn't have had to walk around in circles, being ignored by the public.

AMFA screwed its members to the wall.

"Northwest is training a handful of scabs in Arizona." You poor suckers.

jim, If you are going to tell a story tell the whole story. No insults intended.

PlayTheOdds said:
$26,000 in lump-sum cash.
[post="309813"][/post]​

PTO...you just keep showing how little you know about anything. NW doesnt pay severance in lump sum payments. If you get 6 months of severance pay then NW drags it out over 6 months and you are taxed at a higher rate due to it is considered a bonus and not a paycheck. So once again you have gone and opened your mouth to only have BS come out of it.

The letter I read on the NWA intranet said it would be paid in lump-sum.

That is when you claim exempt then invest it when you get it so you do not have to pay taxes on it.

Your ignorance is what is being magnified here. By the way you have to pay taxes on unemployment benefits also.

PlayTheOdds said:
The letter I read on the NWA intranet said it would be paid in lump-sum.
[post="309867"][/post]​

PTO..what didnt you understand by " NW doesnt pay severance in lump sum". I tried to put it as simple terms as i could so you could comprehend it but i guess that was to difficult for you.

PTO...you have proof of this or are we to take your word on it? You have been employed by NW for how long? Yet you think your an expert on everything that goes on there. Isnt it amazing how a dead bird knows so much more then you?

how heavily does or will NWA tax on the severance? While I was collecting my severance from US Airways, the only things that got taxed were the FED, the State (PA), union dues, and the medical/life/dental.
is that what NWA severance will be like too?

Back