Strikers To Get Unemployment !

Saturdaynite

Jun 26, 2005
Posted on Sun, Oct. 02, 2005

Strikers will get jobless pay

Northwest custodians, cleaners qualify for benefit, judge rules

BY JULIE FORSTER

Pioneer Press

Striking Northwest Airlines custodians and cleaners in Minnesota are entitled to unemployment pay after a judge ruled Friday that wage cuts imposed by the airline were so severe it forced them to walk off the job.
The decision issued Friday by Richard E. Croft, a state unemployment law judge, affects an estimated 700 employees who work for the air carrier in Minnesota. They might be able to receive up to six months of unemployment pay.
About 4,400 cleaners, custodians and mechanics — members of the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association — went on strike against Northwest on Aug. 19 after failing to reach a contract deal with the airline. A separate decision affecting about 1,500 striking mechanics in the state is expected later this week.
Cleaners and custodians are among the lowest paid in the union. Northwest also has earmarked their jobs for elimination under a plan for third-party vendors to step in permanently.
Cleaners and custodians were earning between $8.78 and $21.11 per hour. After the imposed pay cuts, they would have been making $6.49 to $15.77 an hour.
"The cuts to these workers were very significant," Croft wrote. "The cuts had a harsher impact on them than a 25 percent wage cut would have on a worker with substantially higher earnings."
The judge found that the new rates in effect constituted a lockout.
In labor disputes, a lockout typically means the employer actually locks workers out of the workplace and replaces them. In this case, the mechanics and cleaners went on strike after mediated talks failed.
"Even if there was no formal lockout, it was a constructive lockout because the employer imposed unreasonable terms on the workers," said Nicholas Granath, a Minneapolis attorney representing the union members.
Scott Tennant, a spokesman for Northwest, which recently has filed for bankruptcy, declined to comment, saying the company had not yet received the full text of the decision.
Typically, striking workers are not eligible for unemployment. However, a provision of state law allows workers to receive benefits if they leave their jobs because they had no choice.
Northwest lawyers had argued that it did not impose the pay and benefits cuts on the workers; the union members were not allowed to vote on the airline's final offer, according to Croft's decision.
People receiving unemployment benefits in Minnesota typically get half their previous weekly salary, up to a pretax cap of $515 a week, for as many as six months. Unemployment benefits are paid from state funds. Employers such as Northwest pay unemployment insurance taxes, which go into the fund.
For a senior Northwest cleaner earning about $41,800 per year, that weekly benefit would amount to about $402. A cleaner at the bottom of the pay scale making about $19,700 before the new terms were imposed would get $190 a week.
Altogether, there are 2,200 AMFA members in Minnesota. Union officials instructed all members in Minnesota to file jobless claims in August when the union went on strike. Most did.
Julie Forster can be reached at [email protected] or 651-228-5189.

This is one of the MOST important statements:

"Even if there was no formal lockout, it was a constructive lockout because the employer imposed unreasonable terms on the workers," said Nicholas Granath, a Minneapolis attorney representing the union members."

SN :up:

Correct me if I am wrong. Northwest offerd 6 months severance pay and six months of benefits. Now they will recieve half their pay in unemployment benefits, which Northwest only pays a small percentage of and no benefits. This is a victorious move by AMFA how? :down:

PlayTheOdds said:
Correct me if I am wrong. Northwest offerd 6 months severance pay and six months of benefits. Now they will recieve half their pay in unemployment benefits, which Northwest only pays a small percentage of and no benefits. This is a victorious move by AMFA how? :down:
[post="307883"][/post]​

bto/pto,

Reading comprehension has always been ONE of your many short comings....
Your comment is regarding the employees that were going to be thrown out the door regardless.
The JUDGE focused on the third world salary, that nw was trying to impose on those who remained!
So, in SOLIDARITY they walked out. :up:

You are still wrong. And you will always be a SCAB !!!!!
Run along now, little man, you are dismissed!

SN

PlayTheOdds said:
[post="307883"][/post]​

Yes,Northwest did,but there was a "special" condition in order to get the severance. You had to be laid off within 90 days of signing the deal with the devil. All Northwest would have done is waited 90 days and "boom" lay off everyone effected on the 91st day. Their severance offer was a joke!

Is that a Minnesota law about the collecting of unemployment cant be done for striking workers? In PA, I think that they allow workers on strike to collect but they must show proof as to the strike and the boloney that goes along with it. Good luck to all of you AMFA strikers!

PlayTheOdds said:
Princess I didn't know about the 90 day glitch but being a cleaner or custodian that was going to be replaced regardless was this the best move for them under the circumstances?
[post="307915"][/post]​

PTO.. have you ever heard of research? If only your knowledge was as big as your ego you would know the answer to that. But let me explain it in terms you might understand.

If AMFA had accepted NW's proposal with the 26 weeks of severance and insurance for those laid off within 90 days of date of signing all NW had to do was wait 91 days and lay everyone off. On the 91st day AMFA members would have been entitled to 0 severance and insurance.

Now i know you will say that i am lying because that is your only response to facts but if you had done your research (remember what that is) you would have know that NW stated in negotiations that this was true, thus AMFA knew what the full intentions of NW were. Just like they knew from day 1 that NW would file for BK and come back for more paycuts.

Now remember this before you post any more here. RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH.

PlayTheOdds said:
chas you do such a good job why should I bother?

However that does not sound right at all I think I will chaeck that out.

Good day actual NWA SCAB.
[post="307957"][/post]​

Nice try PTO but once again you havent done your research.

chasbatl said:
Nice try PTO but once again you havent done your research.
[post="307965"][/post]​

bto/pto,

Another example of your ..........Day late, dollar short...... After the fact........Delayed intelligence,,,, mentallity......

Check it out AFTERWARDS.............
That is ( unfortunately) the mantra of the SCAB.

You just hope no one will notice your inept abilities until you slither on to your next SCAB position. That is why you are always "available " for these SCAB openings.

SN

robbedagain said:
Is that a Minnesota law about the collecting of unemployment cant be done for striking workers?  In PA, I think that they allow workers on strike to collect but they must show proof as to the strike and the boloney that goes along with it.  Good luck to all of you AMFA strikers!
[post="307912"][/post]​

Each state has their own rules concerning unemployment, also the rates are different. I think in NY we can get up to $400/week now.

PlayTheOdds said:
Princess I didn't know about the 90 day glitch but being a cleaner or custodian that was going to be replaced regardless was this the best move for them under the circumstances?
[post="307915"][/post]​

Quite right PTO, actually if amfa had not had its head up its bum during this whole fiasco they would have required that all layoffs take place in the 90 day window. NWA, I was told even offered this. Ol'Delle had been reading "the-mechanic" bb and didnt like what he was reading so he said they want a strike let them have one. Not only was amfa's timing garbage but so was the negotiating. But instead of blaming themselves or amfa they blame NWA. One of the laid off guys that crossed the line came up to me and said thank you. I was kinda shocked, he said amfa mechs worked overtime which prevented him from coming back and he had been laid off for about 2 years. He had no love for amfa or the mechs that are gone, he said they stabbed him in the back everytime they worked overtime and he wont forget that. With all the bs your getting PTO I have to say just hang in there, these guys have to blame someone besides themselves. The only news source they know is the biased Minn. paper what about the article saying it was all over in Detroits sunday paper, oh sorry guess they missed that one. I have driven the wife out to the airport several times because she has never seen real picketers, and she still hasnt seen them. Everytime we go out there no one is there. She is very dissappointed.

I to have been missing my fan club. I wish they would get another spurt of renewd energy or solidarity. I miss the spot lights the most. They always added that little kick to the thrill of this job. I am so tempted to roll over.

Bob Owens said:
Each state has their own rules concerning unemployment, also the rates are different. I think in NY we can get up to $400/week now.
[post="308051"][/post]​
ok thank you for clarifyng that.

Latest posts