The Tech Thread

Amazon has several. LG sound bars have an optical input on the couple I did a quick look at.
Probably work out.

But then there's the Pioneer and 100w KLH speakers sitting there too.....it never ends.

And I probably ought to paint the room before hanging a TV too......it never ends.

We were talking last nite about the 27" tube picture and how it looked so good until we hit Best Buy. She wants to go back for another look.

Amazon has several. LG sound bars have an optical input on the couple I did a quick look at.
Probably work out.

But then there's the Pioneer and 100w KLH speakers sitting there too.....it never ends.

And I probably ought to paint the room before hanging a TV too......it never ends.

We were talking last nite about the 27" tube picture and how it looked so good until we hit Best Buy. She wants to go back for another look.
Well they have optical input because that is where the output from your TV goes.

My guess is to enjoy both devices (TV and stereo) your going to have to get some sort of splitter.

So, my thermostat goes out, need a new one.
Bought a Honeywell 'WI-FI' thermostat.
What a PITA!
It's cool if your furnace is less that a couple of years old, but mine is almost 20.
If your wires match up perfectly, it's a no-brainer.
But mine didn't.
Turns out, I had to add a connection from the furnace to the thermostat.
Luckily, my contractor had an extra wire that he left floating on both ends.
After re-configuring the wiring from my furnace to the thermostat, it worked.
Plugged this puppy in and configured wi-fi.
Can control from my PC and installed apps on 2 cell phones, that works great.

Now my wi-fi is in overload as I have my TV, Cell Phones, Thermostat (on two cell phones and laptop)
My internet connection was 'S-L-O-W'.
I turned off my TV and Cell Phones wi-fi and it appears to me the normal fast connection.

As 'almost' everything is going 'wi-fi' what s the best 'home' network?

Inquiring minds want to know...

I have comcast, but I only use wi-fi for my appliances, laptop, cell phones.
I really do not use an Ethernet connection except for a laptop connected to the modem in the office.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

So, my thermostat goes out, need a new one.
Bought a Honeywell 'WI-FI' thermostat.
What a PITA!
It's cool if your furnace is less that a couple of years old, but mine is almost 20.
If your wires match up perfectly, it's a no-brainer.
But mine didn't.
Turns out, I had to add a connection from the furnace to the thermostat.
Luckily, my contractor had an extra wire that he left floating on both ends.
After re-configuring the wiring from my furnace to the thermostat, it worked.
Plugged this puppy in and configured wi-fi.
Can control from my PC and installed apps on 2 cell phones, that works great.

Now my wi-fi is in overload as I have my TV, Cell Phones, Thermostat (on two cell phones and laptop)
My internet connection was 'S-L-O-W'.
I turned off my TV and Cell Phones wi-fi and it appears to me the normal fast connection.

As 'almost' everything is going 'wi-fi' what s the best 'home' network?

Inquiring minds want to know...

I have comcast, but I only use wi-fi for my appliances, laptop, cell phones.
I really do not use an Ethernet connection except for a laptop connected to the modem in the office.
Thoughts?
Thanks!

I know this is cliche but...... have you tried powering the router down and back up again. Sometimes "routers" get jammed up when changes are made and that fixes the issue.

Failing that fixing the problem:

What your saying really does not make sense to me. The addition of a thermostat (feel free to send me the model of the thermostat if you like and I can review it) should not have that kind of impact on your home network. I mean how much bandwidth could it possibly take to monitor and set temperature and send on/off commands?

Feel free to send me the model of the thermostat if you like and I can review it.

What is your actual bandwidth. Not for wi-fi but for the service to your home. Let's start there.

Go here and run a speed test and tell me the results where it says Mbps.

After that we will review what model of "router" (most likely actually a wireless access point with routing capabilities) you have. Maybe you need an upgrade but, I doubt it.

I know this is cliche but...... have you tried powering the router down and back up again. Sometimes "routers" get jammed up when changes are made and that fixes the issue.

What your saying really does not make sense to me. The addition of a thermostat (feel free to send me the model of the thermostat if you like and I can review it) should not have that kind of impact on your home network. I mean how much bandwidth could it possibly take to monitor and set temperature and send on/off commands?

Feel free to send me the model of the thermostat if you like and I can review it.

What is your actual bandwidth. Not for wi-fi but for the service to your home. Let's start there.

After that we will review what model of "router" (most likely actually a wireless access point with routing capabilities) you have. Maybe you need an upgrade but, I doubt it.

spock-smash-computer.gif

Thanks, that is exactly what I did.
After I posted, I shut 'everything' down, then brought them online (router 1st of course ;-) ) one at a time in about 10 min intervals. Probably the DHCP assignments got misconbubulated...:D
I tried to 'muscle' through it and forgot to do the most simple.
Very wise advice, I power down my laptop every day.
K.I.S.S. :D

Reactions: SharoninSAT