Tulsa AMT movement.

OldGuy@AA said:
Wondering how he gets negative points for this post.  Is anything he posted not true?  
I don't have the point system on my mobile version. Not sure why bringing 777 drop-ins, in house, would generate a negative feedback. Never can tell on this forum..lol!

Reactions: 2 people
OldGuy@AA said:
Wondering how he gets negative points for this post.  Is anything he posted not true?  

Wishful thinking,  they feel TULE needs to go away for the line guys to make 
industry leading wages. I guess you can't blame them the past agreements 
have in theory traded wages for saving of jobs.  I"am not sure how many jobs
they actually saved, I guess they lasted about as long as our 20 month 4.3% 
raise we recieved for giving up profit sharing.

chilokie1 said:

Wishful thinking,  they feel TULE needs to go away for the line guys to make 
industry leading wages. I guess you can't blame them the past agreements 
have in theory traded wages for saving of jobs.  I"am not sure how many jobs
they actually saved, I guess they lasted about as long as our 20 month 4.3% 
raise we recieved for giving up profit sharing.
I get that but BigMac has been a stand-up guy since the beginning and is part of the 26%ers in Tulsa.  I am proud to have him with us.  Those who give this guy negative points haven't been paying attention.  

Bob Owens said:
The question is if capacity was available then why didn't they outsource all of it?
because you guys (some of you guys) agreed to a contract that kept it.

Bob Owens said:
The company was the one that claimed that wide body capacity was available but that NB was not and if they tried to outsource NB that they likely would have had to pay a premium.
As i said, AAR found a place real quick and easy for AC work, and is still having to shut down and reorganize its network.

I also know that it hasn't seemed to be to hard for AA to find space (A319 checks? Mod work etc) as needed. Same for the other US airlines.

I'm not going to say the company didn't say it, because you were there right?
however if they did? I believe that, like most things airlines have said in BK, its complete and total bullshit.

To think that AA can't find some place to do the heavy checks is either ignorance or some sort of misplaced hope. Timco, AAR, or whoever, will make space get more mechs and do whatever is necessary to meet the demands. Before someone freaks out and says they don't have the A&Ps, well they'll get the A&Ps. Isn't there a huge A&P school in Tulsa? Was that school there before AA moved there? Just like in the 90s AA needed mechs AA opened a school in Chicago. In NY there are aviation high schools. Miami there's a school right across from the airport.

Whats holding us back from getting a pay raise is not AA, as they have proven they're willing to pay, but our own union members. 2008 we were going to get a pay raise sick holiday x2 pay 8 holidays, for a two year extension that turned into a 7 year extension for free to AA, 2010 voted down TA because we would lose retiree medical for peoe under 50, how many union people actually retire before 65? We lost pension retiree medical for Free to AA. As soon as we stop acting like spoiled children we should do very well for ourselves. Like now, this is the perfect opportunity to get a great contract, hopefully WE don't drag out negotiations until 2018 or wait for the next recession to get a contract.

Reactions: 3 people
I believe that Delta tried to outsource with AAR and they had to cancel the deal because they could not find enough workers for what they were offering in pay and benefits.

1AA said:
I believe that Delta tried to outsource with AAR and they had to cancel the deal because they could not find enough workers for what they were offering in pay and benefits.
Be careful using Delta as a benchmark. They are using NON licensed people to work interior items at both their base and line stations.

700UW said:
DL outsources all airframe overhauls, they do some C-checks in-house.
Yes I know....But to say they canceled some outsourcing because AAR did not have enough workers is a little misleading because DL compensated for that by hiring non licensed people to do alot of the interior work.

DL uses numerous MROs all over the world.

They even ferry planes to SIN for aircraft cabin mods.

bigjets said:
To think that AA can't find some place to do the heavy checks is either ignorance or some sort of misplaced hope. Timco, AAR, or whoever, will make space get more mechs and do whatever is necessary to meet the demands. Before someone freaks out and says they don't have the A&Ps, well they'll get the A&Ps. Isn't there a huge A&P school in Tulsa? Was that school there before AA moved there? Just like in the 90s AA needed mechs AA opened a school in Chicago. In NY there are aviation high schools. Miami there's a school right across from the airport.
exactly.

1AA said:
not sure where you heard that. AFAIK AAR hasn't had a problem picking up any work for us.

Matter of fact they are about get to a 757 mod line in the next few months. (already do the 737 heavy PSVs, a 757 mod line in IND and a few other things)

700UW said:
DL outsources all airframe overhauls, they do some C-checks in-house.
all c-checks other than the 747 fleet which is on the way out.  

MetalMover said:
Be careful using Delta as a benchmark. They are using NON licensed people to work interior items at both their base and line stations.
that isn't completely true. The cabin department has ASMs and AMTs in it. Also during base checks base has AMTs up in the cabin also.  

MetalMover said:
Yes I know....But to say they canceled some outsourcing because AAR did not have enough workers is a little misleading because DL compensated for that by hiring non licensed people to do alot of the interior work.
not sure what that has to do with anything? Delta has always had helpers (now ASMs). Not only that but any work that was going to be going to AAR would have simply shifted to another vendor, not come in-house and be worked by non-A&Ps.

What do you think will happen if all airlines gave up heavy check maintenance?  These shite-bag 3rd party maintenance vendors are gonna hike their rates knowing that they are the only providers.  Like I have posted before, these vendors are scraping the bottom of the barrel for workers.  No budding AMT is gonna drop 2 years of school, and $30K plus at Spartan or Embry-Riddle to make a career at TIMCO or something like it.  Even AA is finding that new hire AMTs are leaving for greener pastures - not hard to find.  They get hired, and find out what the pay and benefits are, the working conditions, the bad days off, working nite shift, and it's bye bye.  There is a shrortage of AMTs right now, and its only gonna get worse as guys in our age range reach retirement age over the next 10 years. 

Bottom line, no matter what some "so called" industry experts say on the quality of work out of these 3rd party maintenance providers - being just as good as the airlines "in house" maintenance isn't being honest. 

Latest posts