TWU and IAM representation alliance vote

Will you vote in a TWU and IAM representation alliance? (A/C maint. only)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
MetalMover said:
I guess what I have experienced since the TWU started giving away the store in 1983 counts for NOTHING? So what you are saying is that the TWU saved jobs? Again, mechanics numbers were in the mid 12000s and now are in the mid 7600's .   And that trend started before BK.....Looks like job loss to me.
You are missing the point I am making..The job losses started BEFORE BK.....not because of BK. And the TWU was more than willing to shift mechanic work to fleet service. 
No the mechanics ultimately voted that work away. And you can say till your blue in the face that you were worn down to pass those votes but you ultimately made that decision through the majority of the votes cast.

The TWU leaders don't cast the ultimate decider, the members do that. No one on this thread ever seems to want to look in the mirror.

MetalMover said:
Tell us NYer...Who do YOU believe in the TWU? Who do YOU trust?  And more importantly WHY?

The Membership, because they're a lot smarter than most on these pages give them credit for.

The person that needs to most trust in the world is a doctor. Yet, when we get bad news from a doctor the first things most people do is seek a second or even third opinion. Whatever we're told, we should try to do some independent fact checking, not just follow someone blindly...And that goes for either side.

MetalMover said:
Maybe it's the TWU's version of Obama's redistribution of wealth. Take from those who make more so those that don't are happy.
WeAAsles, I have been in this business waaaaaaay longer than you. And I can tell you thee mechanics have lost the most in terms of work given to other groups and outsourcing. 

How do you think the industry is going to handle the AMT shortage? Make it a rewarding career once again with good pay and benefits? Or petition the government to lower the standards so virtually anyone can do it?

Ah. A Conservative. That explains many things.

So, the solution to gain for AMT's is to change to AMFA? It seems our friends at AMFA and Southwest have figured out some of that. Let's look at the numbers shall we.....AMFA has about 2250 members in SWA (including the 500 from Aittran) to service 683 aircraft. American Airlines has 627 mainline aircraft and about 7800 mechanics.

MetalMover said:
So they bent over all their members to make a deal that would SAVE union dues. It jus not about losing MEMBERS but preserving DUES!

There are no dues in AMFA? Do they have a different business plan that allows the operate without collecting dues?

WeAAsles said:
No the mechanics ultimately voted that work away. And you can say till your blue in the face that you were worn down to pass those votes but you ultimately made that decision through the majority of the votes cast.

The TWU leaders don't cast the ultimate decider, the members do that. No one on this thread ever seems to want to look in the mirror.
Again you were not here from 1983 forward where there was NO mechanic locals and the fleet outnumbered us. How would you like to have the mechanics controlling every facet of your work group?
Then add then in to TULSA majority, we didn't stand a chance. 

For the life of me I can't understand why you and NYer still want the mechanics in your union. Can you explain your reasoning?

NYer said:

There are no dues in AMFA? Do they have a different business plan that allows the operate without collecting dues?
I get to vote on EACH and EVERY AMFA leader. Can you say the same for the TWU? Did you have a say in any international appointment?

MetalMover said:
HAHAHA    LMAFAO...Quoting OVERSPEED and NYER as being the voices of know it all and reason..
Again, why not just help the mechanics leave the TWU so the rest of you can take advantage of all that MUSCLE the alliance has to offer.

SO because of bankruptcies, you are giving the TWU and the IAM a pass because they really had no choice or else their contracts would have been abrogated...I get it......Better to run and live to fight another day. The only problem is the TWU doesn't know the world FIGHT!

AMFA fought at Northwest. Results? I know, I know. It wasn't AMFA's fault.

Fighting in bankruptcies is exactly how to get leverage to make gains. Absolutely, hey and when the contract is abrogated, then we can strike. (except that's illegal).

Some of you should learn from history what is and what isn't possible. Then again, AMFA (I assume) fights like hell for their Members. The fact that Alaska and Southwest (who have not been in BK) allow outsourcing in their contracts, must mean they haven't gotten to the point where fighting makes the difference. Is it that they need the AA Members before they fight or have they learned their lesson with NWA. You probably know that history more than me.

MetalMover said:
How about the jobs lost before BK? As already stated, you weren't here 1983.   Mechanics' numbers have dwindled by nearly 5000 due to work lost.

Also due to 9/11, industry consolidation, two economic downturns, higher oil prices, and the MRO's that hire thousands upon thousands of mechanics while those unionized spend their days changing unions rather than organizing the non-union shops.

NYer said:

Fighting in bankruptcies is exactly how to get leverage to make gains. Absolutely, hey and when the contract is abrogated, then we can strike. (except that's illegal).

Some of you should learn from history what is and what isn't possible. Then again, AMFA (I assume) fights like hell for their Members. The fact that Alaska and Southwest (who have not been in BK) allow outsourcing in their contracts, must mean they haven't gotten to the point where fighting makes the difference. Is it that they need the AA Members before they fight or have they learned their lesson with NWA. You probably know that history more than me

And the TWU gave em hell at PanAM as well.

Hmmmm, let's see which legacy carriers the IAM once represented.......Piedmont, USAir, Eastern, Republic, NWA, United... And NOW?

Reactions: 1 person
NYer said:
Some of you should learn from history what is and what isn't possible....

Is it that they need the AA Members before they fight or have they learned their lesson with NWA. You probably know that history more than me.

I know the history since I lived it. I struck while your worthless union continued to fly on NWA along with your wannabe alliance partner taking the struck work. NWA was not in bankruptcy when we struck.

You are completely clueless about what actually transpired at NWA. Did you walk the picket line with us? Or are you one of those that does not consider AMFA worthy of support. I have news for you. The lack of support for AMFA while we were on strike is why Mechanics wages are where they are today at the legacy airlines. POS like you want to cling to that old dirty security blanket even as it is shredded to peices.

Reactions: 2 people
MetalMover said:
I guess what I have experienced since the TWU started giving away the store in 1983 counts for NOTHING? So what you are saying is that the TWU saved jobs? Again, mechanics numbers were in the mid 12000s and now are in the mid 7600's .   And that trend started before BK.....Looks like job loss to me.
You are missing the point I am making..The job losses started BEFORE BK.....not because of BK. And the TWU was more than willing to shift mechanic work to fleet service. 

AMFA represented over 20,000 at their height. They're down to 10% of that total. (must be the TWU's fault). By 2003, "AMFA, “The little union that could” represented 3 of the top 5 and half of the top 10 major Airlines in the United States."

What happened? Was it Little, Videtich, Gless, Judge Lane, the Fleet President's....How could AMFA possible fall, I mean, they must've fought like hell.

NYer said:

Also due to 9/11, industry consolidation, two economic downturns, higher oil prices, and the MRO's that hire thousands upon thousands of mechanics while those unionized spend their days changing unions rather than organizing the non-union shops.
And the TWU and the alliance is going to change this.....HOW?  Strength in numbers?

Reactions: 1 person
NYer said:

AMFA represented over 20,000 at their height. They're down to 10% of that total. (must be the TWU's fault)
Yea, and what's the IAM's excuse? BK's and economic conditions? So AMFA lost members due to their own doing, But NOT the IAM and the TWU?

Status
Not open for further replies.