TWU update: Part 2

Why does the TWU card drive have be right now? Why such a hurry?

There's no reason for it. Hold off a little while, and in the meantime educate the 400+ new hires in PHL on why a union is needed. I'm telling you, 50%+1 isn't going to happen right now.

Ummm, Reagan, Clinton and Bush got re-elected because they convinced enough constituents they were doing a good job.

IAM should be able to convince the membership they are worthy of re-election.

Right?

None of them would have been elected, let alone re-elected, if they needed 50%+1 of all eligible voters.

The IAM is better than nothing, but not by much.

None of them would have been elected, let alone re-elected, if they needed 50%+1 of all eligible voters.

The IAM is better than nothing, but not by much.

Good points,but the larger one remains. If the IAM had a record to stand on, they would not blame everything on the membership, as seen on these boards. Have you ever seen an organization, other than US Airways itself, as afraid of its members?

They could start by heeding the membership's wishes regarding representation, rather than run Soviet style elections. Even the folks at Placid Harbor will tell you the slate system is a scandal.

That being said, from what I have seen, the TWU sucks as much as the IAM.

Your counsel to wait is probably the right tack.

That the IAM is better than nothing is true only in the macro, and not by much.

I agree with D M G 100%. I am no fan of the IAM and all the "nice" things they negotiated for me. The simple truth is this, historically over the last several years when we had the concessionary votes, no where near 50% of the membership showed up to vote. If this holds true during a representation vote, we are screwed. Plain and simple. I have asked on these boards and even asked TWU reps recently who pm'd me. What the specific pay and bennies they are trying to negotiate with DP. I cannot get ANY specific #'s from them. They expect us to vote for their representation, but won't tell us what they are trying to get for us. I've said this before, and I'm gonna say it again, if we vote for TWU, we take a paycut. I don't know about you folks, but my paycheck pays the bills, not my ego. I have taken enough paycuts already, I'm not takin another one! So to all of you TWU people, if you want us to vote for your representation, Show us real #'s or shut up!

From a Local 580 posting

December 30, 2005
Brothers and Sisters,

I want to make it clear to all TWU and IAM members that the Leadership of Local 580 will attempt to put out the whole truth. We are not hiding any information as the IAM would like you to believe. Some members of IAM leadership want to cloud the truth.

I am not against the IAM because I believe in Unions. I am between a rock and hard place with regards to which Union should survive. If I lie down and let the IAM represent all of us, 15-20 stations could be contracted out with IAM contract language. Another 250 would take pay cuts because their Geographical pay would go away. Roughly 40% of the TWU Fleet Service Employees could be negatively affected. This is the dilemma facing the TWU Local 580 Leadership.

The IAM has come to Phoenix, Las Vegas, Orange County and San Francisco to name a few places without any interference from the TWU. The TWU has not had an issue with our Members being informed about what the IAM has to offer. In fact the contract comparison that Local 580 put out had the pay and pension information in it, which can benefit some of our members. However, the IAM has not followed our lead and has tried to bully their own members from listening to what the TWU has to say. The IAM should let their members be informed.

In closing, I would like to say that the TWU wants all of you to be informed about everything that could happen over the next several months. Hopefully, the IAM feels the same thing. I challenge the IAM leadership to be 100% honest. No more half truths. Quit attacking us and let your members hear the truth.

I hope that everyone has a Happy Holidays, and that the representation issue between the TWU and the IAM will be resolved as quickly as possible.

Fraternally,
Pat Rezler
President
TWU Local 580

From a Local 580 Posting

the IAM has not followed our lead and has tried to bully their own members from listening to what the TWU has to say. The IAM should let their members be informed.

In closing, I would like to say that the TWU wants all of you to be informed about everything that could happen over the next several months. I challenge the IAM leadership to be 100% honest. No more half truths. Quit attacking us and let your members hear the truth.

Pat Rezler
TWU Local 580
Fleet Service should note!

"When even one American - who has done nothing wrong - is forced by fear to shut his mind and close his mouth, then all Americans are in peril. "

Harry S. Truman

Some damn good advice

Latest posts

Back