US pilot labor thread 6/28-7/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI:

Negotiating Advisory Committee Update
June 28, 2008

Your Negotiating Advisory Committee has been meeting on a weekly basis since mid May in preparation for formal negotiations with Management which started this week on June 23rd.

Initial preparations culminated in a BPR briefing during the second week of June in Charlotte. During that briefing, which was a snap-shot of where we stood, the Committee reviewed current progress, recommended positions and briefed the BPR on the current status of open and T/A’d contract sections in open session. It was emphasized that there were several issues that would need to be revisited even though they had previously been agreed to by our former bargaining agent. The meeting was then put into Executive Session where negotiating strategies were discussed.

On Monday, June 16th we met informally with Management for a 'meet and greet'. The meeting was cordial, and provided both sides with an opportunity to establish protocols and expectations. It also provided the opportunity to set tentative meeting schedules moving forward. The balance of the week was spent preparing for what is nothing short of an historic event - the US Airline Pilots Association, your independent union, meeting with Management for the benefit of all US Airways pilots and only the US Airways pilots.

Formal negotiations with Management kicked off on Tuesday, June 24, as we spent the entire day receiving a review of Section 25 (Scheduling) from the Company. This review was required since the Company had made the last pass of the scheduling section during the former JNC talks. In addition, much of this review was spent on West language and the Preferential Bidding System (PBS). Scheduling Chairman, Steve Smyser, and Vice Chairman, Jed Thomas, were present during the briefing and proved to be invaluable. We finished the day with a much better understanding of the section and how PBS can be manipulated if not properly monitored by the union.

On Wednesday we participated in a meeting with the managements of US Airways Mainline, Piedmont, and PSA Airlines along with ALPA representatives from Piedmont, PSA Airlines and ALPA National regarding a flow-thru agreement. The Company passed their proposal regarding flow-thru to the union groups for review. There was healthy debate from all parties and we left the meeting with some common ground but no consensus. We are planning additional talks in July or early August to further explore this important issue, especially in light of the recent furlough announcements.

Thursday was the start of actual negotiations with Management for a new contract. The day began with Management informing the Committee that they had no interest in providing pay parity outside of a single contract. This statement was in response to our request for pay parity starting June 23rd, 2008. (This date was selected as it was the first day of return to negotiations with the Company since JNC talks ended in August of 2007.) This was simply a good faith request for equal pay while we work towards a single contract and in no way implies that we will not seek retroactive pay as established by our previous bargaining agent. We then passed Sections 4 thru 12, 15 and 23 to Management. Sections 16 and 17 were previously TA’d from JNC talks and after much review, we saw no reason to re-open those sections.

Our next meeting with Management is scheduled for the week of July 14th.

We will be at the Domicile meeting in CLT on June 30th at approximately 10:30 am to provide the pilots a NAC briefing and answer questions. If possible, please take advantage of this opportunity for a face-to-face meeting. We will be keeping the pilots informed as negotiations progress.

As we make this approach to negotiations, we know that your support is paramount and your efforts are proportional to the quality of the resulting contract. As your Union Officials have stated; “It’s not what they say, it’s what they do.†Please stay informed, ‘be good union pilots,’ and seek out face-to-face communications with your Representatives and Pilot-4-Pilot Informational Reps.

Thank you for your support and for your patience during this period of preparation.

Fraternally,

FYI: UAL TA.

"Tentative Agreement Reached for Furlough Mitigation

On Thursday June 26th, ALPA and the Company reached a Tentative Agreement regarding Furlough Mitigation. Over the next few days, the MEC will be reviewing the final language for the TA. This TA only covers Special Personal Leaves, Voluntary Furloughs, Staffing Formula modifications, Surplus Reduction Lines and a Furlough Recall Bypass program.

In subsequent meetings, the Negotiating Committee will be discussing with the Company other means to further mitigate furloughs to include a Voluntary Early Retirement Program, as well as possible job opportunities for furloughed pilots.

If the MEC accepts the Tentative Agreement, the Negotiating Committee will be sending out to the pilot group a series of Questions and Answers to help explain the agreement."
I would hope these obscene 90-95 hour flex months disappear once and for all while pilots are on furlough. I wonder how many remember when the max hours were 80?

So Jetz, heres your opening, how many furloughs do you think there will be with this new TA? BTW. Hopefully we can do the same to mitigate ALL our furloughs, and yes, including "Save Dave."

FYI: UAL TA.

I would hope these obscene 90-95 hour flex months disappear once and for all while pilots are on furlough. I wonder how many remember when the max hours were 80?

So Jetz, heres your opening, how many furloughs do you think there will be with this new TA? BTW. Hopefully we can do the same to mitigate ALL our furloughs, and yes, including "Save Dave."

Man you guys are a joke. (flex months disappear). you have guys that will pickup trips just to get the extra money screw the guys that are being furlough. As histroy proves east pilots eat there own and then throw them under the bus.

Man you guys are a joke. (flex months disappear). you have guys that will pickup trips just to get the extra money screw the guys that are being furlough. As histroy proves east pilots eat there own and then throw them under the bus.
You're right some do. Others don't, like me. Everyone has their opinion and actions. I wouldn't describe the history as such, but the future is very dynamic. Personally I still hope we can find a way to mitigate the furloughs.

Personally I still hope we can find a way to mitigate the furloughs.

Agreed in full. I'd think that going after the ridiculous abuse of the 90-95 hour "flex" months..(as if such BS is not actually now standard practice), would be a good place to start pushing back a bit.

Additionally.and outside of any "flex" BS....it's completely disgusting behavior for anyone to seek out maximum hours for themselves ,....while others are being put off working at all.

Do you even know any East pilots? This is a worn out statement. Find something constructive to post... Something that doesn't drip of anger.

Do you even know any East pilots? This is a worn out statement. Find something constructive to post... Something that doesn't drip of anger.

Personally sir?..I couldn't care less about any anger coefficient..just so long as it's part of a constructive thought being passed along. The sad part's that so few of the most angry and obsessed seem even capable of generating any actual thought at all. :rolleyes: No matter really.. now standard variations on "You easties suk" has nothing to do with the furlough problem, or really anything worth noting, and we must look elsewhere for rational input.

Personally sir?..I couldn't care less about any anger coefficient..just so long as it's part of a constructive thought being passed along. The sad part's that so few of the most angry and obsessed seem even capable of generating any actual thought at all. :rolleyes:

Valid point East. I just feel that it is obvious that we have moved on as a group.

Valid point East. I just feel that it is obvious that we have moved on as a group.

Indeed sir..and the majority has moved on. We must deal with what we have to work with, and frankly?..Who cares for the blunted barbs from brainless buffoons that refuse to see any aspects of reality?...especially when, as a group, we've people scheduled for being put "on the street" to address..both east and west...and that's but one issue.

Careful, you might trump east in the 'wit' department.

Actually?..That wouldn't take any excessive efforts much of the time :blink: :lol: In fact...my much adored "significant other" is, even as we speak.. "questioning" my "wit" in spending any further time on the boards at present ;) No "death threats" yet..but: Have a good evening All.

Man you guys are a joke.

I'd say a better definition of "a joke" would be a disgruntled bunch that refuses any participation in Union proceedings...instead joins what effectively just amounts to a little sewing circle club (AWAPPA-Leo) that has ZERO clout with management, or any external agency, and continues to just "hold their breath 'till they turn blue".

Indeed sir..and the majority has moved on. We must deal with what we have to work with, and frankly?..Who cares for the blunted barbs from brainless buffoons that refuse to see any aspects of reality?...especially when, as a group, we've people scheduled for being put "on the street" to address..both east and west...and that's but one issue.

Speaking of brainless, your arrogance in comparing yourself as so superior to others is without a doubt the most obnoxious of any BB posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.