US Pilots' Labor Thread 4/28-5/5--NO PERSONAL REMARKS

Status
Not open for further replies.
And while I have the podium...

We all know that at some point we will have completed the current litigation and will need to focus our united efforts at one target. For that to happen, short-sighted, arrogant and self-inflated egos reveiled by "updates" such as this will need to be "de-flated"!

Fellow PHL Pilots,

We want to thank you for your phone calls and e-mails indicating your involvement in YOUR Union. We must never forget that collectively we are stronger than any individual. Only by continuing this effort will we persevere. We must recognize that every Pilot on this property, from the most senior to the most junior, has contributed to the continued well-being of our company. The selfishness of a minority cannot be allowed to destroy the careers of the majority of Professionals who have brought us here. As your Reps, we promise never to forget your sacrifices.

Hi all,
Regardless of the outcome of the trial the company is going to have to step in and make sure operations are not affected one way or another. Simply put, there is no way to intergrate the two pilot groups without massive confrontations. Airplanes are the property of the company and their lessors they have a right to protect that property and the company should they feel that it is in danger in any way whatsoever. There's no question in my mind that the company will have to keep the pilot groups separate -- the survival of US Airways an the 'other' 30,000 employees depends upon it.

Later,
Eye

Hi all,
Regardless of the outcome of the trial the company is going to have to step in and make sure operations are not affected one way or another. Simply put, there is no way to intergrate the two pilot groups without massive confrontations. Airplanes are the property of the company and their lessors they have a right to protect that property and the company should they feel that it is in danger in any way whatsoever. There's no question in my mind that the company will have to keep the pilot groups separate -- the survival of US Airways an the 'other' 30,000 employees depends upon it.

Later,
Eye

I disagree.

Even if the Nicolau Award is implemented under a joint contract there will be very little movement either direction. For the foreseeable future, there is NO GROWTH at USAirways and very few Captain vacancies that could be had by Nicolau advantaged West pilots moving East.

Much the same as East can Avoid Bid pilots they choose not to fly with, they could do the same should they not wish to fly with a former West pilot.

Honestly, a moot point, since the outcome of the trial is guaranteed to be appealed, whichever way it goes. Many more months, if not years without a joint contract, pay raise , retirement enhancements, or lifestyle improvement for ALL USAirways pilots.

Meanwhile, Parker and Kirby save at least $122 million per year in pilot labor costs while the pilots feud.

Hi all,

Later,
Eye

I would sincerely doubt that LCC management would allow that their management duties and responibilities to sharholders be held ransom by either pilot group's threats. Any "confrontations" will be dealt with in a manner that others will readily note and take heed. Any attempts at your thinnly-veiled threat of financial extortion will be met with quick action.

Regardless of the outcome of the trial the company is going to have to step in and make sure operations are not affected one way or another.
What do you mean by "step in"? When discipline is required they'll discipline. Otherwise managment really isn't in the businesss of playing peacemaker to labor groups. It can only backfire.
Simply put, there is no way to intergrate the two pilot groups without massive confrontations.
Are you basing this opinion on message board hotheads or on the rank-and-file pilots? Eventually we will indeed be a combined workforce and most of the hotheads will control themselves. How do I know this? Because I lived through the most lopsided forced-integration ever: TWA/AA. Live goes on.

Honestly, a moot point, since the outcome of the trial is guaranteed to be appealed, whichever way it goes.
Perhaps not so moot. Should the plaintiffs prevail the judge will impose damages. He put the trial on the fast-track so you think he'll issue a stay on the damages pending appeal? Not bloody likely.

Hi all,

Later,
Eye

Eye,

The company can step in to make sure operations are not affected, but it will not have to maintain seperate operations to do so. As professionals, I will bet that either side will leave their rhetoric at home and not jeopardize their own safety, let alone those of their passengers.

The only thing the company needs to do is fire those who cannot operate safely. Add to that the FAA, should an incident result from such behavior, and the "professional pilot" will loose his/her livelyhood.

History has shown that your claim of needing seperate operations is not required. I have flown with TWA/Ozark pilots, jumpseated with NWA/Republic pilots, jumpseated with AA/Reno pilots, and as a former TWA pilot, now fly for AA.

Add to that, the fact that I was a MD80 Captain at the time of the TWA/AA merger, and stapled behind a pilot who had not even been inteviewed on the constructive notice date. When I resigned from USAirways and returned to AA, after a 4.5 year furlough, my checkairman was hired by AA a year after I was hired at TWA. We got along just fine.

The perception that the Nicolau award was unfair, has costs both pilot groups a lot of money. Afterall, both sides agreed to the process of arbitration. (And please...I've already read all of he reasons why the Nicolau award was supposedly unfair...so don't go there, Thanks)

My point being, if you are all going to claim to be professionals, then be that professional.

Cheers

Hi all,

Later,
Eye

If you cannot set aside your differences in the interest of safety, then you are not a professional pilot and have no business being in the cockpit of an airliner.

If you cannot set aside your differences in the interest of safety, then you are not a professional pilot and have no business being in the cockpit of an airliner.

Well said. It amazes me to see 50 something year olds behaving like freshmen in high school.

Well said. It amazes me to see 50 something year olds behaving like freshmen in high school.

It amazes me as well.

I hope you are referring to 50 something year olds at both East and West.

Especially the West Captain that continues to deny jumpseats.

It amazes me as well.

I hope you are referring to 50 something year olds at both East and West.

Especially the West Captain that continues to deny jumpseats.
A lot of what goes on here are silly games. What happens on the flight deck is the real thing and I hope nobody would jeopardize safety because if one ship goes down the consequences are tragic. All of us are affected as well as a bunch of families. Yes, I do mean east and west together. We are in this together and the weak sister of all the major airlines. We have a lot of debt, we are the lowest paid and we have a poor management team. There is a lot of work ahead of us.

A lot of what goes on here are silly games. What happens on the flight deck is the real thing and I hope nobody would jeopardize safety because if one ship goes down the consequences are tragic. All of us are affected as well as a bunch of families. Yes, I do mean east and west together. We are in this together and the weak sister of all the major airlines. We have a lot of debt, we are the lowest paid and we have a poor management team. There is a lot of work ahead of us.

Well said. Let's move ahead together.

The sooner the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back