When Carry-ons Don't Fit

This is why I think that TSA should police the carryon luggage. They see everything.

TSA ?! oh please don't even get me started on that!!

But I too have witnessed them stop a passenger and tell them they had to go back to the ticket counter. Both times the bags were so damn large they weren't even going to fit thru the x-ray machine.

Now just how stupid were those people to begin with? OOOPPS!! once again don't get me started! :p

USA language for carry-on's reads, "Carry-on baggage is limited to one piece per customer, plus a personal item such as a purse, briefcase, laptop, small backpack, camera bags, small daypacks, infant bags, diaper bag or camera case. The personal item, which is to be placed under the seat in front of you, cannot exceed total overall dimensions of 36 inches. The other item of baggage may be placed in the overhead compartment and cannot exceed the following maximum dimensions:

Valet Closet--45L x 23 1/2W x 4H

Overhead Stowage--24L x 16W x 10H (L-2" more than United)

Underseat Stowage--21L x 16W x 8H

Carry-on baggage dimensions: US Airways’ maximum linear dimensions are 51"

This statement does not mention duty free items, which can be an addition to the carry on allowance.

WE NEED THE TEMPLATES BACK AT SECURITY XRAYS

WE NEED THE TEMPLATES BACK AT SECURITY XRAYS

Can't do it. United tried this at Chicago a few years ago, and Continental put a stop to it because they had a different carry-on policy.

Until every airline that flies in/around/from the US has identical policies on carry-on luggage, the airlines themselves will have to enforce the policies.

If they are ever going to start charging for carry ons, now is the time! Just say the price of fuel to a passenger and if they say well Ive never paid for carryons before just reply with and I've never paid 3.00 a gallon for gas before(or course, very nicely with a smile.) In rez when pax are reluctant to pay fares and complain we come back with the price of fuel. They may not buy the tkt but it stops the whining and they decide whether they wish to buy the tkt or not. At least it cuts down on the SW mantra. When asked whether fares will go up or down agents will reply with based on avail etc and then adv pax fares are subject to change and throw in the who knows what fuel prices will be and many will at least hold fares. The only good thing about fuel prices right now is that pax understand its gone up dramatically and will at least consider that fact when being charged for a carry on. Hit while the iron is hot! JMHO.

If they are ever going to start charging for carry ons, now is the time!

No please. You think boarding is slow now, try making sure everyone has the right ticket out (and is in line for the right flight :shock: ) and that they are boarding when they are supposed to and that they dont have too many items and that they PAID for them!!!! Would bring boarding to a dead stop. You only paid for one and you have two you have to go see the agent at the podium. Wait. I AM the agent at the podium. Ok, let me stop boarding and open up a sales report to charge for that extra item you tried to sneak on. You dont have a charge card? Sorry cant take cash here. Back to the counter. OY. I can see it now.
As if my super sized ibuprofin isnt enough now! ;)

Also regarding customers coming on with more than 2 items. I have very often stopped them at the door to consolidate and I know they take it out once they get to the end of the jetway before getting on so they have them handy.
I think ALL carryon requirements (in the name of safety) need to be addressed by one agency (not the individual airlines) and TSA with sizer plates at the xray would be the perfect place for it. But, since its a potential safety issue and a govt agency involved, I wont be holding my breath. :ph34r:

I agree there are problems with current luggage handling and it does not give the customers confidence they will get the bags back at the end of the journey. Now that we’re starting to hire people for ramp there should be an improvement in this service and hopefully customers should see their luggage faster in PHL.

Many customers tell me everyday how disgusted they are about the carry-on situation and they just watch from the back of the a/c and are amazed at all the stuff people bring aboard. There needs to be stricter limitations. Being a male f/a I always get asked to “help lift the bagâ€￾ and they frequently weigh more than 40 lbs. The claims we pay out in injuries from falling luggage is outrageous.

If we could just try a new carry-on policy people would see how much better the experience of flying would be, be much happier customers, and embrace the new policy. The agents have their hands full, I don’t wish any more reasonability’s on them at all.

F/A's are to ASSIST with carry ons. Not lift them. If someone can't lift their carry on then it's NOT a carry on...it will need to be checked. I helped a lady lift her bag(I had one end, idiot had the other)and half way up, she lets go. There I am, juggling a rollerboard and trying to not drop it on someone's head. It weighed only a million pounds!!! Three months later I still have a pulled upper arm muscle. Now I tell them I am a F/A NOT a bellhop!!!!

No please. You think boarding is slow now, try making sure everyone has the right ticket out (and is in line for the right flight :shock: ) and that they are boarding when they are supposed to and that they dont have too many items and that they PAID for them!!!! Would bring boarding to a dead stop. You only paid for one and you have two you have to go see the agent at the podium. Wait. I AM the agent at the podium. Ok, let me stop boarding and open up a sales report to charge for that extra item you tried to sneak on. You dont have a charge card? Sorry cant take cash here. Back to the counter. OY. I can see it now.
As if my super sized ibuprofin isnt enough now! ;)
And just wait when the last customers board with carry on's that they paid extra for and there is STILL no overhead space and they are told they have to be checked....talk about a nuclear meltdown!!

Carry-on bags are over the top in the US as US domestic carriers do an absolutely awful job with checked luggage. I take about 150 flights per year. If I had to wait for checked luggage each and every time, that's at least 45 additional minutes per flight which means ~113 hours lost each year to due airline inefficiency. No thanks. Nevermind that US has lost my bags at least 6-8 times over the past two years.

That being said, my rollerboard fits just fine and I never put more than one item in the overhead (unless I'm in the bulkhead). I have seen some folks take up 1-2 entire bins just for themselves. A few weeks ago SEA-LAS I saw a Gold Preferred member literally carry-on two very large bags and put both overhead. Now, one of the bags was a "laptop", but the bag was so full it must have had six laptops in it. Neither would fit underneath his seat, and on HP's 733s both of his bags took up an entire bin ... before he put his coat in another one. I felt like saying something but bit my tongue. The flight attendant stood there and watched and said nothing.

Also regarding customers coming on with more than 2 items. I have very often stopped them at the door to consolidate and I know they take it out once they get to the end of the jetway before getting on so they have them handy.

Actually, I have seen folks pretend to gate check. Then, as soon as they are in the jetway, they tear off the gate check tag and carry the item on board. Happens more often than you might think.

Aside from the PAWOB problem that everyone is aware of (and money/equip won't help the weight restricted RJ flights), the problem really is multifaceted. A carry-on policy that works 95% of the time doesn't work that last 5% of the time, but a policy that would work 100% of the time would be too restrictive (and non-competitive) 95% of the time.

The biggest factors that make the policy unworkable that 5% of the time are:

1 - too many rollaboards. There just isn't enough overhead space if too many people have carry-ons that only fit in the overhead bins.

2 - lack of space for crew bags. At least on the 737, 2 of the F/A's have no where to stow their rollaboard except the overhead compartments. Some pilots use rollaboards that are too big for the space provided in the cockpit, meaning another crew bag taking up space in the overheads.

3 - too many people don't use the underseat space for smaller carry-ons. With the limited leg room in coach, I honestly can't blame them but it fills up the overheads that much quicker.

4 - bringing on too many items. As has been mentioned, some folks just try to "sneak" too many things on board.

Jim

ps - a related, though different, problem. I'm seeing more folks dropping their bag at the bottom of the jetway without a gate check tag. They think it will be brought back up to the jetway at the destination, just like the RJ's.

Can crew/commuters/NRSA members carry on more then the allowance?

If customer services agents stick to the carryon rules with no exceptions CSS/management will not back you up. And the letter writers will get you. No support from management on this issue.

Can crew/commuters/NRSA members carry on more then the allowance?

If customer services agents stick to the carryon rules with no exceptions CSS/management will not back you up. And the letter writers will get you. No support from management on this issue.

On the East there is no limit for uniformed crew members.

Back